5 months of finasteride

DeadLine

Reaction score
So I've been taking finasteride for about 5 months now and my hairloss has stopped.
I am 21 years old and started losing my temples when I turned 18. At first I didn't want to believe it. I waited 2.5 years before I decided to take action and now that I have I wish I did it sooner. Like most of you I started using snake oils, vitamins, shampoos,.. but as you may have guessed.. None of them worked for me. In fact I continued to lose hairs.

I discovered this forum one night when I was just browsing the web, looking for a solution and it was here that I discoverd finasteride, dutasteride, ru, spironolactone,.. I started taking finasteride back in july.

Last week I went to the barber and it's the first time in 2 years that I cannot see my scalp after my haircut. It's the first time in 3 years that I feel comfortable with a short haircut. People in my family keep complementing me with my hair even though I've never had it this short. I know that finasteride is not the long term solution we've been looking for but I've been thinking about switching over to dutasteride when I get to the one year mark.

As for negative effects that I have noticed: watery semen, increased libodo and that is basically it. I do not know why my libido increased and it sucks sometimes because my girlfriend can't keep up.

I will post before and after pictures soon.
EDIT (22/01/2016):
This is how my hair looks like now:
View attachment 37671
View attachment 37672
View attachment 37673
View attachment 37674

EDIT (18/05/2016):
Switched over to Dutas two months ago. Red mark on my skin should be a good indicator of progress (which is slow but nonetheless progress):
* Compare this picture with attachment 37673 (right side 2) (and please, do zoom in)
View attachment 40625

* I am only going to be updating with picture of the right side of my head, seeing as the this is the most obvious and best side due to the red skin mark which is present there. My crown is a bit better, but obviously it was pretty decent before already. It's the temples that I'm trying to fill in and it's working!

Last edited:

g.i joey

Reaction score
Why don't you think about finasteride after 4 or 5 years. That way you can really stretch our the duration of medications being effective

Johannes

Banned
Reaction score
"As for negative effects that I have noticed: watery semen, increased libodo and that is basically it. I do not know why my libido increased and it sucks sometimes because my girlfriend can't keep up"

Should we all wolf howl, and high five each other?

Wolf Pack

My Regimen
Reaction score
My hairline and temples on finasteride continue to improve but so slowly, one year in. I am thinking of buying dutasteride to speed up the process and see what my "end result" is prior to a possible hair transplant. Then go back to finasteride maybe. I don't agree that there is such a thing as dutasteride dependent hairs. As long as you're still keeping DHT low it shouldn't matter once the hair has become terminal. It will be no different to your other hairs. Unlike minoxidil which has its own mechanism.

INT

Reaction score
Congrats with the results man! Did you notice any differences in your erections?

How hairy are you by the way when it comes to body/facial hair?

Paganitzu

Reaction score
Congrats man! I also just reached the 5 month mark and starting to believe I see some improvement.

Anonymous99

Established Member
Reaction score
Anonymous99

So I've been taking finasteride for about 5 months now and my hairloss has stopped.
I am 21 years old and started losing my temples when I turned 18. At first I didn't want to believe it. I waited 2.5 years before I decided to take action and now that I have I wish I did it sooner. Like most of you I started using snake oils, vitamins, shampoos,..

I discovered this forum one night when I was just browsing the web, looking for a solution and it was here that I discoverd finasteride, dutasteride, ru, spironolactone,.. I started taking finasteride back in july.

Last week I went to the barber and it's the first time in 2 years that I cannot see my scalp after my haircut. It's the first time in 3 years that I feel comfortable with a short haircut. People in my family keep complementing me with my hair even though I've never had it this short. I know that finasteride is not the long term solution we've been looking for but I've been thinking about switching over to dutasteride when I get to the one year mark.

As for negative effects that I have noticed: watery semen, increased libodo and that is basically it. I do not know why my libido increased and it sucks sometimes because my girlfriend can't keep up.

I will post before and after pictures soon.

Great man!

br1

Reaction score
I was on finasteride for a total of 15yrs. Maybe did one or two 3 month interval in between. When I quit, my hair would go thin and sparse/diffuse. Back on medication, after 1yr, normal again. At 38 my hair would be the same as when I started, at 23. I even thought maybe finasteride wasn't doing anything. Couple months ago decided to give another break, or maybe quit for good. 10 weeks off so far, my hair is super worse. If it stabilizes I will stay off. Otherwise considering minoxidil, or back to finasteride..maybe at .5mg ED... By the way, I never experienced any sides. Did not even know they existed..

br1

Reaction score
I decide to at least take a break. Guess i also freaked out after reading a lot of **** on forums like propeciahlp.. And the unknowns of blocking hormones for long term.. After tomorrow I have an appointment to cbeck my hormonal balance, just to check if I'm alright in that sense. If I see I'm loosing ground too quick, maybe I'll jump back on it for a few more years. I know I respond to the medication, so I expect to grow my hair back. If not, I will just buzz it on a #0 and own it. Getting tired of this loosing battle tbh...

g.i joey

Reaction score
Hairline game strong for 15 years. What losing battle do you speak of. No sides and good hair, seems like youre winning bruh

br1

Reaction score
By loosing battle I mean, having to take this drug forever. Because as soon as I stop, my hairloss catches up.. 15yrs is a long time.. no sides, right. But I hope everything else, things in our bodies that the drug can do, are all reversible. Really hope this **** hasn't destroyed anything inside. After all, all the "long term" studies are actually pretty short.. It's a big unknown.. That's why.

DeadLine

Reaction score
Awesome man!

When did you first notice results?
I noticed results after about 3 months when I was losing less hairs in the shower. But it started to improve visually about a month and a half ago.

Congrats with the results man! Did you notice any differences in your erections?

How hairy are you by the way when it comes to body/facial hair?
Well, I guess you could say that I don't have erections as often when I'm alone, but whenever the girlfriend is around that problem is immediately solved !
In terms of body hair I guess I don't have a lot of it. Some noticeable hairs on my chest and nipples, but only a couple really stand out. My legs are quite hairy though.
My hairline and temples on finasteride continue to improve but so slowly, one year in. I am thinking of buying dutasteride to speed up the process and see what my "end result" is prior to a possible hair transplant. Then go back to finasteride maybe. I don't agree that there is such a thing as dutasteride dependent hairs. As long as you're still keeping DHT low it shouldn't matter once the hair has become terminal. It will be no different to your other hairs. Unlike minoxidil which has its own mechanism.

I feel your pain, I really do. Right now I'm going through some kind of a shed. Makes me wonder if my finasteride is even legit but then I remember that I'm having watery semen so it has to be. dutasteride hair counts have been better than finasteride hair counts and it blocks DHT even better. Your body can't really become resistant to a drug like finasteride or dutasteride (at least if my science is right).

By the way, I have some pictures for you ligned up of how my hair is now, about 6 months into finasteride:
20160122_015739.jpg
right side.jpg
right side 2.jpg
left side.jpg

I'm seeing a line of hair appearing above that 'red mark' in my temple that wasn't there before. Also a lot of tiny hairs with practically no color or visibility. The crown picture was just a lucky shot, trust me it looks worse when I use my camera's flash:
20160122_021243.jpg

I will continue to update this thread every month or so with new pictures that will show you my progress, using only finasteride 1mg a day.

big_head

Established Member
Reaction score
I pray to tha Gods that I respond to finasteride even half as well. I'm older than you, but I can see my scalp in the front when I comb my hair back.

- - - Updated - - -

I was on finasteride for a total of 15yrs. Maybe did one or two 3 month interval in between. When I quit, my hair would go thin and sparse/diffuse. Back on medication, after 1yr, normal again. At 38 my hair would be the same as when I started, at 23. I even thought maybe finasteride wasn't doing anything. Couple months ago decided to give another break, or maybe quit for good. 10 weeks off so far, my hair is super worse. If it stabilizes I will stay off. Otherwise considering minoxidil, or back to finasteride..maybe at .5mg ED... By the way, I never experienced any sides. Did not even know they existed..

So keep taking it man. Whether or not you bald any further, if your hair is objectively better with it, and you have no sides, just stay on it. It's cheap and just popping 1 pill a day.

br1

Reaction score
I pray to tha Gods that I respond to finasteride even half as well. I'm older than you, but I can see my scalp in the front when I comb my hair back.

- - - Updated - - -

So keep taking it man. Whether or not you bald any further, if your hair is objectively better with it, and you have no sides, just stay on it. It's cheap and just popping 1 pill a day.

I am still considering getting back to it.. Right now, my loss (after quitting finasteride) seems to have stabilized - during the finasteride period, I did not loose any ground in these 15 years.

I have less hair now, but still have it all over, basically.. I don't even know if my baldness is aggressive or not, since when I started taking finasteride I did it to prevent (dad is bald, i was thinking my temples were thinning)..

By the way, I started applying minoxidil on both temples (they are "fading" out) a couple days ago.. Let's see how this goes. :)

Ziggyz123

Established Member
Reaction score
Hair looks good. Your crown is spectacular haha zero hair loss there. Best of luck man. You still have a good while to improve further on the meds

DeadLine

Reaction score
Hair looks good. Your crown is spectacular haha zero hair loss there. Best of luck man. You still have a good while to improve further on the meds
Thanks man, but trust me those pictures were very lucky shots. The entire area around my crown is quite (especially above the crown) thin but the finasteride has improved a lot. Under certain light conditions you can still see the scalp right above the crown, meaning my progress is not quite where I'd like it to be. Other than than I really hope those temples will fill in since I'm seeing a lot of tiny hairs popping up ;).