37 YO - Went from Norwood 5/6 to good regrowth in 6-7 months-pix

hairynewyork

Reaction score
I first lurked around this forum for a little while approximately a half a year ago, when I decided to do a little bit of research into doing something about my hairloss predicament, 'cause it was frankly getting on my nerves and it was time to rectify the situation. I am extremely pleased with the results that I have achieved since embarking on my little experiment in April, 2006. I'll be posting a before (April 2006) and after pic (Oct 2006) within the next couple of days, as I haven't taken the most recent photo yet. I never in my wildest dreams thought that I would be able to regrow as much as I have up until now, because frankly, I thought that my hairloss situation had progressed to a stage where it was too late to do much about it, and also considering my age. When you look at the before picture, I think you'll know exactly what I mean, there was very little hair on the top of my head (damn near nothing). I haven't ever gotten my status determined by a professional, but I would put myself to be a Norwood 5 or a Norwood 6 on the before picture. I'm not sure where I would be on the scale right now, maybe somebody can tell me when I get the after picture posted. I believe that I've definitely gone up a couple of notches, in my opinion.

A little history about myself: I'm currently 37 years old and I first noticed some thinning of the hair in my mid twenties. I actually used Rogaine (2%) for about 6 months in my mid twenties. It was pricey at that time and a prescription was required, so because of economic reasons and the fact that my hairloss at that time wasn't all that bad, I stopped using it, altough I did see slight results after being on just Rogaine for half a years time. In hindsight, I'm glad that I stopped using it back then, because the effectiveness of Rogaine would have worn off, had I continued to use it for all these years I believe.

BEFORE PICTURE - APRIL/MAY 2006 (w/ flash)

I'll be returning with the after picture within the next couple of days and I hope that you will agree that the results are as good as I think they are. I already suspected that I would be a decent responder to minoxodil, since I had used Rogaine (2%) for a brief period many years ago with slight success, but the results that I've acheived on Rogaine, Spectral DNC, Finasteride, Tricomin, Emu Oil, Nizoral, T-gel and maybe a couple of other items that I don't recall right now have been nothing short of ridiculous in my opinion, and that's only after 6-7 months. From what I understand and from studies that I've read, I can expect more significant regrowth in the coming 18 months.

I realize that this whole post is worthless without an after picture/current picture, so I'll be posting that within the next few days.

hairynewyork

Reaction score
Ok, here's a pic, which I just took today.

AFTER - OCT 2006 (w/flash)

Here's the before picture again, just for comparison:

Sure, I'm still thin on the top, but damn!, there's hair in places now, where there was nothing before ! I'm very happy with these results, and friends which I have not seen for months are floored when they meet me now. I've seen regrowth and thickening on all areas of the head, from the front to the top. I can't wait to see how it all fills in, in the coming months. I have more hair on my head now than I have had in many years.

Renegade

Established Member
Reaction score
Those results look real good - and I believe that since you were just very diffuse (your follicles were obviously not "dead"), you have a good chance of recovering to Norwood 2/3 status within the next year. Nice work! keep up the regimine!

hairynewyork

Reaction score
Renegade said:
Those results look real good - and I believe that since you were just very diffuse (your follicles were obviously not "dead"), you have a good chance of recovering to Norwood 2/3 status within the next year. Nice work! keep up the regimine!

Thanks ! Yeah, I had worried about the follicles being 'dead', since they hadn't made an appearance for many years, but luckily, that wasn't the case. If I made it all the way back to a Norwood 2/3, that would be insane IMO, and I'd be pretty happy if that were to happen.

And you bet that I'm going to keep up my regime ! Nothing will prevent me from that. If a thief broke into my apartment and tried to steal any of my hair products, I'd shoot them dead in the head, lol.

bubka

Reaction score
sweet jesus thats pretty nice regrowth, got to make you feel good, i bet if you let it grow to the right length, it would even look better

G

shoves another finger in the eye of people who say the big 3 don't work for diffuse thinners. freakin idiots.

worked for bubka, hawaii male, and now you. here's hoping I'm next.

nice going hairynewyork. great results.

Skaff

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeah that's awesome...Hopefully it'll keep growing!

He's not a pure diffuse thinner though...there's a fair bit of temple recession there.

G

Skaff said:
Yeah that's awesome...Hopefully it'll keep growing!

He's not a pure diffuse thinner though...there's a fair bit of temple recession there.

skaff, i'm not sure you understand diffuse thinning.

with advanced diffuse thinning, the hairline disappears as well. diffusers can still go to NW6, they just take a different path than typical male pattern baldness sufferers. or did you think advanced diffusers still keep their hairline intact? Not. In the beginning yes, but it goes eventually. He's totally diffuse.

ShadoW DanceR

Reaction score
sweets results mate, you are giving me hope. I am adnvaced diffuse thinner and as jayman said my hairlime has gone bye bye.

hairynewyork, how long have you used spectral dnc?

hairynewyork

Reaction score
ShadoW DanceR said:
sweets results mate, you are giving me hope. I am adnvaced diffuse thinner and as jayman said my hairlime has gone bye bye.

hairynewyork, how long have you used spectral dnc?

Thanks, and good luck to you too.

As for the spectral dnc, I started using minoxidil back in April 2006, and since that time I've only gone through 2 bottles of spectral dnc. I'd make each bottle last for two months (I'm on a budget and spectral is more pricey than regular minoxidil). I'd apply either Rogaine 5% or Generic 5% once a day for the first application and I'd apply spectral dnc once a day for the second application, for a total of minoxidil twice daily. I'll probably pick up another bottle of spectral soon and make that one last for 2 months also, since I'm currently out of spectral dnc and I've only been using a generic minoxidil 5% twice daily for the last month.

hairynewyork

Reaction score
Ramboner said:
Yo thats almost unbelievable. I bet your bald friends are freaking out!!!!

RAMBONER

I have one friend which is slightly bald, but he mostly freaked out when he came over one day and I placed all of my hairloss items on the table when I showed him all of the things that I was taking, lol. He thought that I was insane, but that was when I first started the regime before any real results could be seen. He now knows better, lol.

sphlanx2006

Experienced Member
Reaction score
hairynewyork said:
Renegade said:
And you bet that I'm going to keep up my regime ! Nothing will prevent me from that. If a thief broke into my apartment and tried to steal any of my hair products, I'd shoot them dead in the head, lol.

:D :lol: Hahahahaha, you made my day :D :lol:

P.S. Congratulations on the results...keep it this way!

MPBWarrior

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Awesome results dude, really happy for u and great to see some encouragement on this forum!!!!

BALD IS BEAUTIFUL

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi hairy newYork,
for a baldy it is always pleasurable to notice couple of straw on his head. u got a reasonable improvement and I think in future u may have a better chance to touch a Norwood 2 or 3 mark.
I m also a diffuse thinner just like u. my front hair line is pretty unbroken just like u. I wanted to know when precisely u started to lose hair and how much time it takes to reach a Norwood 6? In-between what medicine u had tried?
Can u post some of ur picture before starting ur treatment? It may help me evaluating my current Norwood level.
again beat the drum :band:

mike d.

Reaction score
Hello, So do you feel that the Spectral DNC was a big part of your hair regrowth? It seems to have a lot of indredients such as copper peptides.

mbehr22

Established Member
Reaction score
Great results ...

I keep seeing FIncar - which is 1.25 mg propecia ...

Im on 1 mg propecia - is there a big difference in results with the .25 dose differential?

G

mbehr22 said:
Im on 1 mg propecia - is there a big difference in results with the .25 dose differential?

no difference. 5 mg compared to 1 mg, maybe, or 3 mg compared to 1. but an extra .25 mg won't make a difference. or .25 mg less.