3395 Grafts Fue Grafts Dr B I S A N G A, Belgium

Rocknroutlaw

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
A picture update just shy of the 6 week mark...

most hair seems to have shed but I am finding it difficult to distinguish between native hair and transplanted hair.

This is the inevitable most dreaded stage I guess. It must put all kinds of doubts in your head, but thanks to this forum we all have a general idea what we can potentially expect. Thanks for the update and good luck!

jayboy61

My Regimen
Reaction score
This is the inevitable most dreaded stage I guess. It must put all kinds of doubts in your head, but thanks to this forum we all have a general idea what we can potentially expect. Thanks for the update and good luck!

Yeah constantly looking in the mirror trying to guess if its new hair or not can be quite stressful and obsessive.. I'm sure without this forum and other peoples experiences I would be driving the Dr mad with all my questions.

Off to Dubai for a week on Sunday so looking forward to relaxing a bit away from work, albeit still with a hat on my head to keep the sunlight off me :rolleyes:...

will update again at 2 months.

Rocknroutlaw

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Any progress on the posterior sides where you suspected shock loss?
I suppose it's a fair to assume that any hair which fell out is transplanted, and those that are showing signs of growth are native. Holidays are a great way to keep this off your mind..except I know if it was me I would obsess twice as much due to having more free time lol

jayboy61

My Regimen
Reaction score
Any progress on the posterior sides where you suspected shock loss?
I suppose it's a fair to assume that any hair which fell out is transplanted, and those that are showing signs of growth are native. Holidays are a great way to keep this off your mind..except I know if it was me I would obsess twice as much due to having more free time lol

No regrowth on that side, the little bit of shock loss that's about the size of 1p coin is still there, to be honest it doesn't actually effect me at all so its not really on my mind. Obviously I want it to grow back but I can always grow it out or have the area around the ears short enough to hide it.

Yeah pretty much all the transplanted hair has fallen, its so difficult to differentiate between what's native, what's transplanted and also what is new from taking finasteride. In the weeks leading up to my transplant I noticed new hairs growing on the temple points which if you look on those pictures are now quite long, I can only assume this is due to taking finasteride.

I agree about the spare time, the only benefit is not having a mirror around the pool to keep checking!

jayboy61

My Regimen
Reaction score
Just shy of the 2 month update..

I've grown the top out a bit since my last update, I have noticed hairs sprouting through but I am still not convinced they are transplanted hairs as it does seem quite early, I might shave it down to a 2 guard again tonight to try and have a proper look then. I do seem to have more hairs now than before the transplant and before I started finasteride. Redness seems to be slowing reducing and donor seems fine.

Cant wait for this next month to past.

Attachments

• 2 MONTHS.jpg
    2 MONTHS.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 1,305
  • 2 MONTHS. 1.JPG
    2 MONTHS. 1.JPG
    134.9 KB · Views: 1,236
  • 2 MONTHS 3.JPG
    2 MONTHS 3.JPG
    155.2 KB · Views: 1,157
  • 2 MONTHS 2.JPG
    2 MONTHS 2.JPG
    123.1 KB · Views: 1,250

vegetassj

Established Member
Reaction score
Looks good!

Did you try toppik? I would marry you if you could do a pic with toppik and upload or pn me.

Do you feel okay with the short hair what did the work/family say?

jayboy61

My Regimen
Reaction score
Looks good!

Did you try toppik? I would marry you if you could do a pic with toppik and upload or pn me.

Do you feel okay with the short hair what did the work/family say?

I have toppik and the only reason I haven't used it is because I didn't want to become reliant on it again, if I get a chance over the weekend ill put some toppik in and take a pic to see how it looks! haha thanks for the marriage though..

I don't mind the short hair, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't desperate for it to grow back though. Family have been great, most of them didn't know about my hair loss until I told them I was having the transplant so was quite a shock for them (I hid it well!) and now they don't even mention it.

I am lucky with work that its a business with only 10 or so employees, I told everyone I had shaved it and with being 6 foot 2 not many noticed the redness. once the shed started I dreaded going in and facing difficult questions but know one has said a word about it. I have kept all meetings to a minimum and will do until it grows back again.

As I have quite a bit of hair there already I'm that once the regrowth starts it wont take long to fill in and I cant start going out without a hat!

vegetassj

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks a lot.
Yes I feel you, I cant go out without toppik since 2 years.

I will take off work 1-2 month after my transplant so It would be nice to see how much with toppik is possibe. Thank you so much. I would say I am quite the same as you

Rocknroutlaw

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Just shy of the 2 month update..

I've grown the top out a bit since my last update, I have noticed hairs sprouting through but I am still not convinced they are transplanted hairs as it does seem quite early, I might shave it down to a 2 guard again tonight to try and have a proper look then. I do seem to have more hairs now than before the transplant and before I started finasteride. Redness seems to be slowing reducing and donor seems fine.

Cant wait for this next month to past.

Obviously still at the annoying regrowth stage, but looking promising!
Regarding Toppik....is this something that is advisable after a transplant? I would have thought it is best to keep the scalp clean and unblocked as much as possible, so wearing tight-fitting head wear should probably be also avoided? What has Dr. B suggested?

jayboy61

My Regimen
Reaction score
Obviously still at the annoying regrowth stage, but looking promising!
Regarding Toppik....is this something that is advisable after a transplant? I would have thought it is best to keep the scalp clean and unblocked as much as possible, so wearing tight-fitting head wear should probably be also avoided? What has Dr. B suggested?

There seems to be different opinions on the toppik use, I was told to wait 3 months but I have also read once the area is healed they're fine to use. I am personally going to hold off using them unless I really have to and I would make sure they were washed out straight after.

I would avoid any tight fitting hat that is going to sit on the area but I've worn cap and its been fine.

vegetassj

Established Member
Reaction score
Did you habe a chance to male a toppik pic?
Btw I am in contact with B too.

Did he mention anything regarding transplanting in between your remaining hairs? He said two things to me via mail. My donor is maxbe no optimal (damn) and transplanting in my hairs at front is difficult and shockloss could be anissue.

jayboy61

My Regimen
Reaction score
Did you habe a chance to male a toppik pic?
Btw I am in contact with B too.

Did he mention anything regarding transplanting in between your remaining hairs? He said two things to me via mail. My donor is maxbe no optimal (damn) and transplanting in my hairs at front is difficult and shockloss could be anissue.

Yes its not the greatest pic though and I couldn't put fibres to far forward as the hair isn't thick enough to support it, it looked fine though and I could've easily gone out like it.

He said a similar thing that he would have to transplant between the native hairs and that shock loss could be an issue, but it doesn't seem to have affected it at all and has grown normally since the op.

fibres.jpg

vegetassj

Established Member
Reaction score
Thank you so much! Looks great. Impressive.

Dr B wants to see me live before a possibe surgery. That really bothers me but looks like the most intelligent solution.

Rocknroutlaw

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
He said a similar thing that he would have to transplant between the native hairs and that shock loss could be an issue, but it doesn't seem to have affected it at all and has grown normally since the op.
View attachment 83187

Guys, from my communication with their representative Hilde I had mentioned my concerns about shock loss in particular, and her exact words were:
"If hairs are transplanted in an area with existing hairs, sometimes the native hair can have a shock and fall out. The injections that you will receive during the procedure can also create a hock loss. But the hairs usually grow back, so don't worry too much about the shock loss."
While her words were a bit reassuring, it is slightly concerning that he warned you both about risk of shock loss transplanting between hairs...
I am diffusely thinned mostly, so this is a particular concern.
@vegetassj I was lucky to have caught Dr. B in London when he was here doing consultations. While I didn't think this was necessary, it did make me feel more secure about knowing what I can realistically achieve, and what the limiting factors are.
At the consultation, I first expressed interest in FUE, so I was quoted 2500 grafts with ONLY the frontal 1/3 (not the crown, which looks clearly thinning). A few weeks later when we communicated via email, it was concluded FUT is the preferred method in my case (I don't want to shave). With FUT, they hope to reach 3000 grafts and possibly address the crown as well (although they were concerned about the risk of shock loss, which was why they didn't want to do the crown ??) .
All this is rather contradictory...

jayboy61

My Regimen
Reaction score
Guys, from my communication with their representative Hilde I had mentioned my concerns about shock loss in particular, and her exact words were:
"If hairs are transplanted in an area with existing hairs, sometimes the native hair can have a shock and fall out. The injections that you will receive during the procedure can also create a hock loss. But the hairs usually grow back, so don't worry too much about the shock loss."
While her words were a bit reassuring, it is slightly concerning that he warned you both about risk of shock loss transplanting between hairs...
I am diffusely thinned mostly, so this is a particular concern.
@vegetassj I was lucky to have caught Dr. B in London when he was here doing consultations. While I didn't think this was necessary, it did make me feel more secure about knowing what I can realistically achieve, and what the limiting factors are.
At the consultation, I first expressed interest in FUE, so I was quoted 2500 grafts with ONLY the frontal 1/3 (not the crown, which looks clearly thinning). A few weeks later when we communicated via email, it was concluded FUT is the preferred method in my case (I don't want to shave). With FUT, they hope to reach 3000 grafts and possibly address the crown as well (although they were concerned about the risk of shock loss, which was why they didn't want to do the crown ??) .
All this is rather contradictory...

From what I've read and understand every consultation and Dr you see is going to tell you a similar thing regarding shock loss and transplanting around native hairs, however Dr B did tell me that taking finasteride does reduce the chances of shock loss in some cases. For me the risk was worth taking as the forelock was beginning to be non existent anyway and its only since the transplant and now being 6 months into finasteride that it has thickened up.
I think if you get the chance for a consultation then do it, I didn't, but when I did see Dr B one of his first questions was "what do YOU want to achieve" I chose to have the whole frontal 1/3 done. I can only think Dr B assessed it when back at his clinic and thought with you not wanting to shave it narrowed it down to FUT hence allowing more grafts to fill the crown as well? Did you tell Dr B what areas you wanted to target?

Rocknroutlaw

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes, I said I wanted a lower hairline, being able to have a fringe and the crown looking completely full..I was quickly put in my place when he drew the mature hairline that he would aim for :D . From that moment I learnt to have more realistic expectations in line with my donor hair and extent of hairloss etc.
What also concerns me is that you had almost 3500 to get the results. My frontal third is probably a little less receded than yours before your procedure, but more diffuse in the crown...I'm generally just diffusely thinned. If they're only able to graft 3000 I'm afraid my results will be more like 80% of yours (with more risk of shock loss trnasplanting mostly between hairs).
Your journey has definitely made me more inclined to proceed. I'll do my best not to chicken out over the next half a year lol.

jayboy61

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes, I said I wanted a lower hairline, being able to have a fringe and the crown looking completely full..I was quickly put in my place when he drew the mature hairline that he would aim for :D . From that moment I learnt to have more realistic expectations in line with my donor hair and extent of hairloss etc.
What also concerns me is that you had almost 3500 to get the results. My frontal third is probably a little less receded than yours before your procedure, but more diffuse in the crown...I'm generally just diffusely thinned. If they're only able to graft 3000 I'm afraid my results will be more like 80% of yours (with more risk of shock loss trnasplanting mostly between hairs).
Your journey has definitely made me more inclined to proceed. I'll do my best not to chicken out over the next half a year lol.

Yeah we would all love our flowing locks back unfortunately its not going to happen!
I suppose with your frontal third a little less thinner than mine and taking into consideration you have no shock loss, if say you get 80% of my final result with the extra native hair it should be a similar result.. that feeling of waiting and having to keep checking in the mirror is horrible though :(
I just hope in 6 months time I can tell you it was 100% worth it!

jayboy61

My Regimen
Reaction score
Just a short update,

Since last week things have really started happening, lots of tiny white hairs appearing everywhere and lots of what feels like stubble in between my native hair in the front forelock. Hopefully the start of good things, will post pics next week at the 3 month mark.

jayboy61

My Regimen
Reaction score
3 month pictures..

Its been a long and stressful 3 months but I finally feel like something has started to happen and I'm seeing more and more hairs sprouting through everyday.

Mid scalp and crown have started to thicken up nicely from finasteride.

I've also been out a few times now without a hat, I feel I'm maybe another month away from not having to wear the hat at all.

Hopefully will see more growth over the coming months!

Attachments

• 23 april.jpg
    23 april.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 1,264
  • 23 april 2.jpg
    23 april 2.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 1,292
  • 23 april 3 .jpg
    23 april 3 .jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 1,328

RB15

Reaction score
Looking good at 3 months, i’m considering a hair transplant with Dr B too, did the shockloss on the side of your head grow back in?

Cheers