3.75 Months On 5% Min - Time To Give Up? | HairLossTalk Forums
Dismiss Notice
Forum Update: Aug 19. Feedback for the Admin? Upgrade coming: Click Here.

3.75 Months On 5% Min - Time To Give Up?

Discussion in 'Growth Stimulants - Rogaine, Minoxidil, Tricomin,' started by shadowcast, Oct 27, 2017.

1. shadowcast

shadowcast Established Member My Regimen

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    I started min on July 5th, applied liberally 2x a day to my whole scalp. I'm also on finasteride.

Almost immediately small hairs started popping up on my hairline (and probably elsewhere on my scalp, but I'm diffuse so its hard to tell), somewhere between vellus and full-on hair (they have pigment, but are not the thickness and darkness of my remaining "regular' hair). Things were looking good.

The only problem is now I'm almost at 4 months and nothing much has changed. New hairs slowly continue to come in but they're very sparse. I'm not reaching anything close to cosmetic significance so far.

Should I quit? Seems like anyone who gets significant results gets them within 3 months...

2. INT

INT Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    You have new hairs growing but you want to quit because it is not happening fast enough. Unless your financial situation is not very strong atm that seems pretty stupid.

baba_yaga and ihatebackstabbers like this.
  3. Erland

Erland Established Member My Regimen

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    Be happy you are getting something.

If you are getting results, albeit small, keep going I think.

4. AnxiousAndy

AnxiousAndy Senior Member My Regimen

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    It even states on the rogaine website that new hair grown starts off soft and thin, are you really going to stop before you're supposed to with such promising results over the horizon? The full effect of minoxidil is not seen until months 8 - 12.

5. shadowcast

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    I've read many reports of people in the same situation who stick with it and never get past the initial crappy soft\thin hair phase. I haven't had constant improvement, almost like immediate initial regrowth, and that's it. That's what makes me think I'm not going to react any better down the stretch. Would be interested to see if there is anyone out there who started getting substantial regrowth past 4 months.

6. BoatsLoadsofDope

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    Don't take my word for it, but i've been looking into these drugs as well since i think my hair is thinning, and everywhere it states that it might take between 4-6 months and maybe even up to 8 months for you to spot a difference, it seems like yours have worked very quickly.

AnxiousAndy likes this.
  7. AnxiousAndy

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    You do understand hair follicules work in cycles, right? It takes 3 - 4 months for it to cycle, and then another 3 - 4 months for the minoxidil to thicken up the new hairs. You dont just start growing thick hairs on bald temples. Ive seen plenty of pics of guys who had little to no results the first few months, and then made a FULL recover. This guy @jgray201 made a recovery from NW3v to Norwood fucking 0. Give up if you like, but be thankful you are at least getting some growth, others get nothing at all and even some get worse.

8. shadowcast

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    I just took official 4th month pics today, realize now that it's actually working. Wow. Pictures are important, people. I think I fell into the over analyze trap, especially since I'm still very bald - but I'm clearly progressing compared to 2 months ago (I skipped my 3rd month pictures, bad idea in retrospect).

@AnxiousAndy I don't understand hair follicules, does anyone? Explain the few super responders who go from seriously bald to essentially cured in three months.

Here's my progress, you can see it's not great but it does appear to be working. I actually started min on 7/5, it just so happens the 5/30 photo is probably the best matching to today's (even with the same exact placement and lighting, it's amazing how hard it is to get consistent photos). Note I've also been on finasteride since 3/1.

progress.png

tldr: take consistent photos, try not to drive yourself crazy

#8 shadowcast, Nov 5, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
    transam and AnxiousAndy like this.
  9. Erland

Erland Established Member My Regimen

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    shadowcast, wtf? That looks great.

10. shadowcast

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    Dude, I swear a big part of the issue was looking at close up pictures. If I look at those two pics at full size (huge iPhone resolution), you almost can't even really see that much of a difference. Looking at the thumbnails tells a much better story, which is why I posted the small pics. What can I say, balding drives you crazy.

11. AnxiousAndy

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    @shadowcast, for some there are always exceptions.. by the way your progress is looking great! By 1 year i bet you will have alot more hair! Can i ask why you took so long to treat your hair loss in the first place?

12. shadowcast

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    I didn't take finasteride because someone told me "it causes sexual side effects". I also just assumed for no reason that minoxidil doesn't cause substantial regrowth. After finally discovering this forum and seeing some of the success stories, I realized that these drugs can successfully treat hair loss. I have had 0 real side effects by the way (I felt a little light headed the very first time I used minoxidil, and I had like two days of ball ache + a month of increased libido on finasteride)

AnxiousAndy likes this.
  13. shookwun

shookwun Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    should seriously consider buzzing your scalp.

Dontwannabeabetabob likes this.
  14. shadowcast

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    Not looking for advice about what to do with my hair, certainly this thread should prove that I'm not skewed toward being delusional in the positive direction. I realize I'm bald as fuck. Also know that that lighting is as harsh as possible and my hair generally looks a lot better than that.

15. AnxiousAndy

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    @shadowcast I would give finasteride a try.. if you get sides ( which you probably wont ) then just stop taking the medicine and the side effects will go away. Ive personally never had sides from finasteride but it didnt work for me so im going to drop it soon.

16. shadowcast

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    Read again friend, I am on finasteride. Been on it for 8 months.

AnxiousAndy likes this.
  17. Dontwannabeabetabob

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    Harsh lighting or not, you could step into a dimly lit bar and people will still see you're hangin onto scraggly hairs man...Shave that shit.

countjulian and shookwun like this.
  18. shadowcast

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    Update if anyone cares, hair continues to slowly improve. Not cured, but much better. I have been religious with treatments, never miss a day of finasteride, at worst I'll only use min once in a day rather than two times. I swear if it weren't for photos I wouldn't be 100% sure I've had much improvement at all. Hope this helps convince people to be patient with their treatment and take consistent photos.
    Untitled.png

19. reuters

reuters Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Looks fantastic, great results and I am happy you kept up with Rogaine

20. shadowcast

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    Thanks. I will likely be adding dutasteride to my regime and will update again in 6 months or so.