28 Yr Frontal Transplant (~2100 Graft) 8 Months

Is this a good transplant? Would you be happy with it?

• Yes

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • No

Votes: 63 92.6%

• Total voters

Speran28

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I wanted to post my results so far on my hair transplant. I've posted pre-op and now at 8 months along with pictures and measurement of my scar at 8 months.

I had a 22 x 1.2 cm strip taken out. That is 26.4 cm^2. Density estimated at about 210 hairs per cm^2 or around 80 FU. Giving me ~2100 grafts (doctor does not charge by graft, but this is what they estimate).

I would like the communities feedback. I have been told to wait till 12 months before making any decisions, but am questioning (based on others I have seen).
If this is really what I should be expecting?
I have coarse thick hair w/ good donor density and simply wanted my temples filled in with a bit of crown thickening. Hair growth hasn't seemed to change much in about 2 months. I followed cleaning procedures after surgery to the letter and took 3 weeks off work just to make sure I cared for this perfectly.

Attachments

• Pre-op.jpg
    Pre-op.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 6,248
  • Pre-op2.jpg
    Pre-op2.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 5,883
  • 20170809_005043.jpg
    20170809_005043.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 5,264
  • 20170805_171827.jpg
    20170805_171827.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 5,415
  • 20170809_003944.jpg
    20170809_003944.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 5,572
  • 20170809_003803.jpg
    20170809_003803.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 5,462
  • 20170805_173557.jpg
    20170805_173557.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 6,693
  • 20170805_173643.jpg
    20170805_173643.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 6,340
Last edited:

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
With your hair characteristics I would have expected better density than you show in the areas transplanted. Maybe you are a slow grower. How many FU per square inch were transplanted? How many grafts in total did you get transplanted?

Speran28

My Regimen
Reaction score
With your hair characteristics I would have expected better density than you show in the areas transplanted. Maybe you are a slow grower. How many FU per square inch were transplanted? How many grafts in total did you get transplanted?

Updated my post to add clarification.

sunchyme1

My Regimen
Reaction score
looks terrible mate.

surely this isnt normal for 8 months, hopefully the other guys around here will be more helpful

but i sure as f*** wouldnt be happy about this

who was the doctor?

Pequod

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I don't think 2100 grafts was nearly enough to give you what you wanted so I'm not surprised it came out thin like it did. Also it appears the FUT incision was placed too high up the donor area near the crown, not the optimal place to take grafts. You could send your first photo to a couple of the top hairline experts and see what they say, I am guessing 3000 to 3500 was needed. I wouldn't use whoever did this procedure again though, I would not trust a second one when grafts are priceless to replace.

JeanLucBB

My Regimen
Reaction score
The graft number is fine, assuming you didn't have grafts placed in the remaining forelock. Your donor looks slightly thicker than average so naturally gives good coverage too.

Would wait it out until the 12 month mark to pass final judgement (a select few have miracoulous turnarounds past 8 months) but likely a poor yield. Hard to tell without photos of post-op but likely around the 25% mark for yield, so not entirely wasted and easily repairable but a bad result. Also the strip area does look a little high, and the scarring large.

topcat

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hard to say at this point and best to wait the full 12 months. Hair transplantation in general can maybe give about 50% coverage so about 40 fu/sq/cm for most. Do I see 50% coverage in your photos? Not quite.

Just be careful moving forward with the decisions you make.

Speran28

My Regimen
Reaction score
The graft number is fine, assuming you didn't have grafts placed in the remaining forelock. Your donor looks slightly thicker than average so naturally gives good coverage too.

Would wait it out until the 12 month mark to pass final judgement (a select few have miracoulous turnarounds past 8 months) but likely a poor yield. Hard to tell without photos of post-op but likely around the 25% mark for yield, so not entirely wasted and easily repairable but a bad result. Also the strip area does look a little high, and the scarring large.

They did place grafts in the frontal crown area to thicken it up. I told them repeatedly my main concern was density and having enough hair more than filling in the temples, but they kept saying they would give me more than enough etc.

Speran28

My Regimen
Reaction score
Here are pictures about 6 hours post-op.

I'm not going to display the name for now out of respect for the clinics reputation.
I've talked to my patient advisor and he says they will do anything in their power to fix free of charge. Whether than be scar revision, more hairs grafted, fue into scar or smp.

They want me to wait till 12 months as they believe I am simply a slow grower. My scar I'm not sure what happened another person I know used the same doctor and his scar looks pretty good.

I'm praying I'm a slow grower, but really this hair hasn't changed much in 2 months and I'm really confused about what happened (as was the patient advisor).

I took extremely good care of the hair post op as well and avoided gym from 2 months (losing 10 lbs of muscle.) To try to make sure my scar wasn't stretched....

Attachments

• 20161218_174528.jpg
    20161218_174528.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 2,840
  • 20161219_204353.jpg
    20161219_204353.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 2,875
  • 20161215_165353.jpg
    20161215_165353.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 2,637

JeanLucBB

My Regimen
Reaction score
Here are pictures about 6 hours post-op.

I'm not going to display the name for now out of respect for the clinics reputation.
I've talked to my patient advisor and he says they will do anything in their power to fix free of charge. Whether than be scar revision, more hairs grafted, fue into scar or smp.

They want me to wait till 12 months as they believe I am simply a slow grower. My scar I'm not sure what happened another person I know used the same doctor and his scar looks pretty good.

I'm praying I'm a slow grower, but really this hair hasn't changed much in 2 months and I'm really confused about what happened (as was the patient advisor).

I took extremely good care of the hair post op as well and avoided gym from 2 months (losing 10 lbs of muscle.) To try to make sure my scar wasn't stretched....

The work doesn't look refined and considering the scar, high area they took the strip from and poor planning, avoid the clinic at all costs. I can also see large gaps between individual grafts in the very front of the hairline. This is amateur work.

Get a refund and don't go back if it isn't fine at the 12 month mark, or you'll be sorry.

spring15

My Regimen
Reaction score
You have nice donor. I don't see you coming back from this with a positive result though 8 months in. Hopefully the clinic offers some sort of compensation.

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score
Do not waste more grafts going back to the same clinic. They should be named so others can avoid them.

shookwun

Reaction score
At around eight months all the hairs have sprouted already. Whats to be expected after is a change in characteristics of the follicle becoming longer, darker, and thicker in diameter.

At around six months for that matter, almost all the hairs have sprouted. Some doctors anticipate there is between 15-20% growth remaining.

But when we speak numbers and percentages at around six months 50% of the cosmetic benefit is achieved. Leaving a large percentage of maturation in the hair to remain afterwards.

Seek advice from the ISHRS about filing a complaint and what your options are moving forward

Last edited:

smyth01

Established Member
Reaction score
It's a real poor transplant mate sorry. Get your money back and go somewhere reliable. Please tell us the name of the doctor/clinic.

Speran28

My Regimen
Reaction score
Updated pictures.
I am almost at 10 months here.

20170916_131420.jpg 20170919_115457.jpg 20170919_115629.jpg 20170919_115707.jpg

I have schedule a consult for 2 months from now with Dr. Jerry Cooley. Hopefully he can help me fix this situation. I am still really dissatisfied with this result. I am going to touch base with the clinic in about a months time to see if they will give me any form of refund.

Speran28

My Regimen
Reaction score
Agreed. I am very frustrated with this.

Any suggestions on how to seek a refund or some kind of recompense from the surgeon?

shookwun

Reaction score
Depends on who you went to. First I would contact the surgeon. He may offer free remedial work or at a discount - don't go. He's already screwed up once. Maybe he will give you a refund of some kind especially if you agree not to go further in terms of legally or highlighting this case on every forum. I'm not sure how it works but being proactive is best.
@Wolf Pack should talk to the @Admin about having a certified title for doctor or patient advisory/representative. i.e physician

A lot of goobers around here lately running around with Dr. Such and such in there name. Without anyone way of telling that these people are in fact who they say they are. These titles would specifically be given to those that are verified

SeanFUE

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
This is not good. I can sympathize with the situation. Are you sure you’d want to go with same surgeon? Not sure if you can get your money back. What is crazy is ive encountered multiple cases like this by some known names via patients via private messages throughout the web. It is more common then one may think. If you do get a repair or money back, you may stop posting online. I would proceed with caution and go to a surgeon that does all aspects of surgery.

Not trying to be harsh but that see through front gives strong impression that you are currently in recession.

Wish you the best,it isnt a good feeling to ve a repair patient but it is what it is.

Wish some of us can turn back time.