24 Years Old And Receding Temples, Need Advice.

Jimmy Jackson

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello,

I am a 24 year old male who has receding temples. I have been monitoring this for a while now and it has been pretty much the same for about 2/3 years; maybe slow receding since I first noticed it around 2014.

My receding hairline has been making me feel very depressed recently, I am always looking at my friends hairlines and feeling worse as theirs are all 'straight' rather than a 'U' shape that my is beginning to form. There are many hairstyles I feel I cannot have as my hairline becomes obvious and I don't want people to notice.

My hair itself is still thick, even at the front where it has receded, I have had comments from people telling me I have thick hair. nobody so far has noticed my receding hairline, or at least they haven't mentioned it anyway.

I know this might sound stupid as I'm only 24 but I am considering a transplant as I would like a good hairline for my younger years, if I was in my 40s I doubt I'd be that bothered about this. As mentioned above I can't even have a combover or slick my hair back etc as I think I look stupid. It doesn't help that I have a naturally large forehead too.

I am a first time poster and was just wondering what people think? I see a lot of people take medications and stuff but i figured the money I'd spend on that for years I could probably spend on a transplant as medication appears expensive. I was also wondering if anyone had any idea of the cost of transplants in the UK?

I have attached some photos to this to show my hairline, hair down and also pulled back.

I haven't spoken to anyone about this at all. I thought anonymous people online would give me more honest responses.

thanks.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    84.1 KB · Views: 6,009
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    87.1 KB · Views: 3,508
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    77.2 KB · Views: 3,256
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    73.1 KB · Views: 3,303
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    85.3 KB · Views: 3,520

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah, that's a proper receding hairline alright, NW2-2.5 with great density. Get on finasteride asap. Doubt minoxidil would do much for you since you aren't thinning.

Jimmy Jackson

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah, that's a proper receding hairline alright, NW2-2.5 with great density. Get on finasteride asap. Doubt minoxidil would do much for you since you aren't thinning.

Thanks for the reply. What are the odds that finasteride can regrow hair? Or is it strictly to prevent it from getting worse? Haven't researched too much into it as of yet.

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. What are the odds that finasteride can regrow hair? Or is it strictly to prevent it from getting worse? Haven't researched too much into it as of yet.

Pretty good. Just don't expect regrow where you're slick bald. If you add minoxidil you will better your chances.

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
In your case you only need to regrow temples, everything else is perfect. Unfortunately finasteride and minoxidil are very bad at regrowing temple hair. Get on finasteride to maintain, I wouldn't use minoxidil if I was you. If you want temple regrowth you'll probably need a more extreme regimen, a minor hair transplant or some future technology like histogen, Replicel, RikenTsuji treatment

Jimmy Jackson

My Regimen
Reaction score
In your case you only need to regrow temples, everything else is perfect. Unfortunately finasteride and minoxidil are very bad at regrowing temple hair. Get on finasteride to maintain, I wouldn't use minoxidil if I was you. If you want temple regrowth you'll probably need a more extreme regimen, a minor hair transplant or some future technology like histogen, Replicel, RikenTsuji treatment

finasteride tablets seem quite expensive. Any idea how much a minor hair transplant would cost?

biddybomb

Experienced Member
Reaction score
finasteride tablets seem quite expensive. Any idea how much a minor hair transplant would cost?
look for proscar, its generic 5mg finasteride. I have been on it for a year and a half, using a pill cutter I am able to take a 1/4 a pill a day. I am not sure where you are from but I can get 50 pills for 50 dollars in Australia so it works out much cheaper than procepia 1mg.

Jimmy Jackson

My Regimen
Reaction score
look for proscar, its generic 5mg finasteride. I have been on it for a year and a half, using a pill cutter I am able to take a 1/4 a pill a day. I am not sure where you are from but I can get 50 pills for 50 dollars in Australia so it works out much cheaper than procepia 1mg.

They're about £30 a month here it would cost me, £360 a year. Surely I'd be better served just saving that money each year and getting a transplant since it would be permanent?

HeyThereNow

Reaction score
They're about £30 a month here it would cost me, £360 a year. Surely I'd be better served just saving that money each year and getting a transplant since it would be permanent?
I'm positive that you can find them cheaper than that. In Ireland Fintrid is about €100 for a year's supply.

tooldude

Reaction score
an hair transplant will probably be at least 3600 euro(for as little work you need at the moment), so that equals 10 years of finasteride at the rate you stated. Most likely, your other hair will eventually fall out as well. Leading to more and more transplants and probably needing more grafts which equal even more money.

finasteride would be the cheapest route by far..besides the fact there is really no sense in getting an hair transplant without finasteride

Illusions

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
£30 a month is a very small price to pay if it does indeed halt your recession (you have very little recession anyways, if any) however it doesn't work for everyone and in some cases can speed up male pattern baldness.

Jimmy Jackson

My Regimen
Reaction score
I also meant to ask, is it possible that hair can recede and then stop or slow significantly? My hairline has been receded like that for a while but hasn't gotten worse. My uncle had the same thing in his early 20s and it had pretty much maintained and he is 50 now.

Jimmy Jackson

My Regimen
Reaction score
Based on the last overhead pic he's a bit more than an NW2. Less than a 3. Much closer to a 2 than a 3 but definitely not a 1.5

I thought I was more a 2 but whatever, either way it's not good haha.

I'm getting my hair cut short on Friday I'll update a picture for a better view.

tylerduren

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Weird looks like mine did at 21... im 27 now and hasnt changed that much. I do have to get shorter hair cuts now.

Imo looks totally fine. Mabey get a shorter hair cut and get the sides shorter than top. Very bushy looking at the sides.

Dont think you need to even consider druga but if you do ... please research it. Dont want you coming back in 3 months saying your hair is exact same but your libido has gone and you feel like a girl

Jimmy Jackson

My Regimen
Reaction score
Weird looks like mine did at 21... im 27 now and hasnt changed that much. I do have to get shorter hair cuts now.

Imo looks totally fine. Mabey get a shorter hair cut and get the sides shorter than top. Very bushy looking at the sides.

Dont think you need to even consider druga but if you do ... please research it. Dont want you coming back in 3 months saying your hair is exact same but your libido has gone and you feel like a girl

Haha yeah I'm a little hesitant to go on drugs just yet. I bought that shampoo that another poster recommend which is worth a shot and didn't cost much at all.

I'm getting it cut short around the back and sides and leaving it longer on top on Friday. I think having long hair on my sides makes it look worse.