21ukheregoes's Story - (MODEL GETTING hair transplant/ THOUGHTS! (PICS)

21ukheregoes

Reaction score
Re: 21 - MODEL GETTING hair transplant. YOUR THOUGHTS! (PICS)

hey guys.
thanks for all the replies.

i understand that i am young and so a second procedure is almost going to have to be unquestionable but right now - i need to have better hair than this disaster.

it is my job, my life, my bread and butter.

i am glad that i came to this site because it really has made me think very very hard about things.
as soon as h&w agreed to do my procedure i felt like i could move on and put this past yeae of aggresive pb behind me. but you guys have made me think as almost 99% of you have told me not to go ahead with the procedure.

if im being completely honest? i'm still really confused. who do i listen to... hasson & wong - the world leaders in hair transplants, or very experienced hair transplant patients who have been through it themselves. if it was a doctor that wasnt very rep, than it would be an easy decision to make - but we all know h&w are not the type of doctors to just say yes for the money. the hold an incredible reputation and have no reason to destroy it now.

so who is right?

king-

Experienced Member
Reaction score

21ukheregoes said:
hey guys.
thanks for all the replies.

i understand that i am young and so a second procedure is almost going to have to be unquestionable but right now - i need to have better hair than this disaster.

it is my job, my life, my bread and butter.

i am glad that i came to this site because it really has made me think very very hard about things.
as soon as h&w agreed to do my procedure i felt like i could move on and put this past yeae of aggresive pb behind me. but you guys have made me think as almost 99% of you have told me not to go ahead with the procedure.

if im being completely honest? i'm still really confused. who do i listen to... hasson & wong - the world leaders in hair transplants, or very experienced hair transplant patients who have been through it themselves. if it was a doctor that wasnt very rep, than it would be an easy decision to make - but we all know h&w are not the type of doctors to just say yes for the money. the hold an incredible reputation and have no reason to destroy it now.

so who is right?

you will have 1 big ugly scar in the back of your head........dont do it

go on the big 3 and stick with it for a year youll see results

khali

Established Member
Reaction score

2 procedures ? You will need like 5 or 6 procedures if you start at an early age. On top of that hair transplants will never reach you to a norwood 1 scale. Also the result from hair transplants is thin hair. I myself have people starting at my hairline all the time. It frustrates me, and I hate it. Just a few days ago a girl told she find baldness to be a turn off. I replied my saying its not my fault so why are you blaming me ? Ironically she herself had a broad forehead.
Many times I had the money to go for a procedure. However, i know being too young will give me more problems than before. Therefore, I refused to get a hair transplant early. I mean if hair transplant was a cure, then all of us would be happy on this forum, and never complain about hair loss again.

PersonGuy

Established Member
Reaction score

Just be aware of the fact that hair transplant's are very limited even with docs who have a positive reputation. With your level of hairloss coupled with your age it very well could be the worst decision you'll ever make. I hate to sound like a downer, but I can't imagine someone throwing my hair transplant in front of a camera, with the amount of people who look at it awkwardly in casual conversation. hair transplant's are fundamentally flawed in that the hair from the back of the head is thick and looks almost alien on a hairline. This can only be remedied by lightening the appearance with nape hair or some body hair, both of which yield debatable results.

Sorry for the bad news but I truly don't think a hair transplant is the way to go. Trust me we all feel for you and while the bad news may seem like a bit of an attack just know that people here have your long term interests in mind and wish you the best.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score

I think your best bet is to get a very expensive hair system like so many movie/TV celebrities wear. Then as you get older, then you can think about a hair transplant. When I watch Saturday Night Live, some of those hair systems the actors wear look so real and natural. Its your face the camera focuses on the most in your career. For many years, I had no idea John Travolta wore a hair system. Alot of people never realized Dustin Hoffman always wore one as well.

s.a.f

Reaction score

PersonGuy said:
Just be aware of the fact that hair transplant's are very limited even with docs who have a positive reputation. With your level of hairloss coupled with your age it very well could be the worst decision you'll ever make. I hate to sound like a downer, but I can't imagine someone throwing my hair transplant in front of a camera, with the amount of people who look at it awkwardly in casual conversation. hair transplant's are fundamentally flawed in that the hair from the back of the head is thick and looks almost alien on a hairline. This can only be remedied by lightening the appearance with nape hair or some body hair, both of which yield debatable results.

Sorry for the bad news but I truly don't think a hair transplant is the way to go. Trust me we all feel for you and while the bad news may seem like a bit of an attack just know that people here have your long term interests in mind and wish you the best.

TBH I think that you might have to face the fact that m.p.b has killed your modelling career. hair transplant's and wigs may be ok for everday average appearance but modelling work requires better than just acceptable. Sorry mate.

Route66

Reaction score

I feel bad for you mate. As you say, this is a disaster, because your livelihood is at stake, though it would still be an awful thing to happen if it wasn't!

I'm a great believer in encouraging young guys with hair loss to try and get their hair back, even if it means a lot of hassle, and expense, as a young man's quality of life is diminished by baldness. It's a cruel thing to say; but, sadly, true.

In your, highly unusual, case, however, I'm going to give the opposite advice: DON'T get a hair transplant. Quite simply, whilst you may be able to get, what most men would consider, a good result, it probably won't be good enough for your needs. You need perfect hair in your profession, right?

However, I do think you should look into quality hairpieces. The best hairpieces, these days, are very impressive, at least cosmetically. I wouldn't wear one, personally, because of hassle/stigma, but you only need one for modelling. You could even think of it as a 'costume', which you could take off when you weren't working. I'm sure lots of female models wear wigs/extensions, etc., when they're working, right? So what's the difference?

Also, because it is your career, there's no need for you to get a DIY hairpiece, as most men do. It might be worth the extra expense to have it professionally maintained, etc., on a regular basis. In fact, you could even buy a new one every month, or whatever. Here's a hair piece place in the UK, which I've heard are better than most:

http://www.whitecliffsgroup.com/

BTW - Sean Connery wore a piece in most of his Bond films, and the public were completely fooled. And pieces were sh*t then.

Hope this helps.

The Rake

Reaction score

s.a.f said:
PersonGuy said:

TBH I think that you might have to face the fact that m.p.b has killed your modelling career. hair transplant's and wigs may be ok for everday average appearance but modelling work requires better than just acceptable. Sorry mate.

"Sorry, your career is over. Get over it."

What kind of post is that?

An hair transplant is out of the question dude, that much is clear. Just look into getting a custom hair system. I know 2 guys (one a model and one an actor) who both use hairpieces and they're virtually undetectable. Bad hairpieces come from a combination of crappy material, lazy maintenance, and bad self image problems. It seems like you can avoid that. A lot of models and actors use hairpieces.

PersonGuy

Established Member
Reaction score

The Rake said:
[quote="s.a.f":eek:f3fbrzf]TBH I think that you might have to face the fact that m.p.b has killed your modelling career. hair transplant's and wigs may be ok for everday average appearance but modelling work requires better than just acceptable. Sorry mate.

What kind of post is that? [/quote:eek:f3fbrzf]

I'm pretty sure that's not what he said and positive that it's not what he meant. SAF is one of the more experienced folks in this arena and is not one to go throwing false hopes around. Yeah a piece might work for this fella but you have to realize as SAF was pointing out that there are limitations. And why in a field where models are a dime a dozen would they hire someone with a piece over someone with natural hair. I hate to sound like an *** but I'd always thought modeling was a cutthroat industry and wouldn't waste time with such things.

s.a.f

Reaction score

The Rake said:

What kind of post is that?

Thats not exactly how I put it is it?

But thats the way modelling is, its brutal and something like going bald can kill it just as easily as getting a few wrinkles can.
No ones going to give you any favours just because its not your fault.
And no one has to be a model, having a models looks is just a privelage. Most models will find that after a few years their time is up and they then have to change careers.

The Rake said:
"An hair transplant is out of the question dude, that much is clear. Just look into getting a custom hair system. I know 2 guys (one a model and one an actor) who both use hairpieces and they're virtually undetectable. Bad hairpieces come from a combination of crappy material, lazy maintenance, and bad self image problems. It seems like you can avoid that. A lot of models and actors use hairpieces.

I'm sure many models do wear hairpeices, but only when the client requires it for a certain look.
Otherwise they just want someone who's hair they can style/cut/colour the way they want it, and if you turn up for a job in a piece its not going to be very adaptable compared to the next guy who has real hair.

I do feel sorry for the guy but thats life, he's not dying he's just finding out like the rest of us that hairloss has negative effects.

khali

Established Member
Reaction score

This is just an internet forum. When a balding person tells you what reality is, its not really offensive at all. I am sure all of us have to live in reality. As soon as you go bald your confidence is totally gone. When you talk to people and try to have a conversation with them, all of sudden instead of listening to you they pay attention to your receding hair line. Just today a friend I met a friend who is also balding. He is a good looking guy who is 26. A girl sees him after a while and comments " What's going on with you ? you didn't shave and your going bald." He responds by saying "oh yah ? I guess I didn't notice". Ya right!! Then I replied back to him by telling him that "at least you are married so why do you care ?" However, he was still embarrassed. He just wanted to drop the topic asap.

Avery

Established Member
Reaction score

Personally, I don't think "get a new career" is bad advice at all. Whether you get a hair transplant, a hair piece, or even if you're a superb responder to the big 3, you're going to spend a lot of time and money on it, and like S.A.F. said, neither solution holds up to scrutiny in front of a camara. It wouldn't be a terrible idea to consider another line of work. Maybe there's a peripheral role you can play within the modeling industry.

The Rake

Reaction score

Every big business is a cutthroat business. I just don't feel that being told to give up is good advice. The TC seems to know the importance of hair and the realities of the modeling business, or else he wouldn't be posting here. But I do feel he should do everything he can (within reason, IE not getting an hair transplant) to get the most of a career he's had success in. A good hair system (and a good one looks just like real hair on camera, it's just that the ones that look good are the ones we don't notice are hair systems) can most definitely help his problem and an employer is not gonna care (or notice) as long he looks good. If that fails, then he can quit. He's gonna have to eventually anyway, no?

21ukheregoes

Reaction score

hey guys
as always thanks for the replies :)

to set the record: i have trained in musical theatre and tv/film - but as the industry is very dry right now, modeling has become my main source of income.

i do not think i am brad pitt by any means! i know my limitations in modeling and just find myself lucky that i can make an income from it.

at least i thought i knew my limitations... heres something we can all chuckle at. - last week my agent called me to go for a head and shoulders commercial.... like u i didnt even know why i was bothering to go. how rediculous.... today i got a call to say that they really like me - keep the last week of april free as i might be flying out to poland for the ad and they want to see me again tomorrow.

now my friends i really am confused..... a head and shoulders commercial?!?

s.a.f

Reaction score

Keep us updated on that one!

khali

Established Member
Reaction score

Yes, I'd like to hear the result of this one.

s.a.f

Reaction score

Well he never came back did he. :thumbdown2:

21ukheregoes

Reaction score

i didnt go anywhere :p

needless to say i didnt get the hair job - lets be fair it would have been ludicrous if it did!

ive now been on proscar for a month and think im starting to go through the shedding phase. but after reading up on it for months on here before i even started finasteride, its not worrying me one bit. just going to plough through.

i am starting to consider the hair system.

will keep you guys updated. :)

s.a.f

Reaction score

What did they say about your hair on the 2nd casting?

metalheaddude

Reaction score

Hairloss is a cruel cruel thing :(