21ukheregoes's Story - (MODEL GETTING hair transplant/ THOUGHTS! (PICS)

21ukheregoes

Reaction score
HEY GUYS.

BIT OF A DIFFERENT STORY TO THE NORM....

NICE TO MEET YOU ALL!
JUST JOINED TODAY.

So here is my story.
For the past two years I have been working as a model in commercials. however since turning 21,(july 08) my hair has been falling out rapidly. This first started when i was on a catwalk just before my birthday and used a cover spray. The minute i used the cover spray, i started losing hair, even though i stopped, it hasnt stopped falling out.

As you can imagine, my image is my job so this disaster has affected me really badly! some might call is extreme vanity, when infact its extreme insecurity.

so take a look at my pictures and tell me honestly what you think. personally i think its too late for the topical treatments etc. ive started on proscar and nizoral today, i just wish i had known about finasteride 8 months ago when the hair first started to fall out.

after sending these pictures to Hasson & Wong, i have a penciled date set for the 21st may for 4000 grafts.

all of my fathers side of the family are completely bald, and being in the profession i am, i cannot afford for this to happen to me! so off to canada i go....!

Attachments

• n509493735_35985_9581.jpg
    n509493735_35985_9581.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 12,734
  • anand  007.jpg
    anand 007.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 12,727
  • MOF-ANAND5.jpg
    MOF-ANAND5.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 658
  • IMG_0054.jpg
    IMG_0054.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 12,755
  • IMG_0055.jpg
    IMG_0055.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 12,765
  • IMG_0056.jpg
    IMG_0056.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 12,762
  • IMG_0042.jpg
    IMG_0042.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 12,764

Def

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: 21 - MODEL GETTING hair transplant. YOUR THOUGHTS! (PICS)

Given that you're only 21, I would advise against going down the tranplant route before you've given oral and topical treatments a go - 1mg finasteride (Propecia etc) daily, 1ml of 5% minoxidil (Rogaine etc) twice daily, 2% ketaconazole shampoo (Nizoral etc) three times a week and perhaps use of an anti-inflammatory agent (eg copper peptide sprays) each night after your minoxidil application.

While treatments can take at least 12 months and up to 24 months to reach full effect, a transplant is surgery, can leave scars, and will also take 12 months to reach full effect.

Add to this the fact that, at 21, your hair loss is not likely to have stabilised (meaning you will require further transplants in the future), trying the medication approach is your best bet at this point. I have mostly maintained / slowed down my hair loss significantly for the past 6.5 years or so.

Have a good read of these forums, starting at the "Start Here" tab and good luck. Also make sure you check out the Success Stories section (particular SE Freak's and Casperz's threads) to see what using the medications can achieve.

Def

Avery

Established Member
Reaction score

I highly recommend doing the minoxidil/finasteride/nizoral thing first. Some people have some incredible results. I had great results myself. Younger people tend to have better luck with treatments than older people. Give it 18 months, see where you're at, then consider surgery.

KANGA

Established Member
Reaction score

Hi mate,

From my experience, for hair to fall out that fast it might be a health related issue.

Have you been to a doctor to get a check up and blood test done? Hair loss can come from thyroid problems, to say the least.

What is the exact details of your regimen? Are you taking 1mg propecia daily and using nizoral every third day? Also, consider putting minoxidil into the mix.

You are going to have to wait it out for all these treatments to work. Within a year you should see some good results (provided you're a good responder, but chances are in your favor)

21 is a really, really young age to get a hair transplant. The problem with this is that, at this point, it's hard to tell how your hair will continue to recede. Which means in a couple years your other DHT-affected hair may take a dive and you'll have a very inconsistent head of hair, leading to more transplants. Not to mention the scars on the back of your head from your donor sites.

Obviously my opinion can't replace that of a certified doctor or dermatologist, but I suggest getting blood work done first, and really think hard before getting a transplant. DO YOUR RESEARCH!

iwantperfection

Experienced Member
Reaction score

wow. in one year your hair went from perfect to bad. Cant be right. Could well be a medical problem. Get your bloods done soon.
if it is male pattern baldness your wrong about topicals. I think minoxidil could work well for you. Look at se freak and mj9 's stories. Good luck man.

Forget an hair transplant. Post your story in stories section, jump on meds and keep us updated.

antonio666

Reaction score

i agree with the other posters that you should get on propecia and minoxidil,however i disagree that you should not have a transplant at the front will give you a good apperence,your apperence is very good anyway but like anyone you want more hair,good luck in what you decide

Petchsky

Reaction score

Hasson and Wong are top class, and 4000 grafts will give you a great result no doubt, but 21st may is too soon, especially without giving treatments a go first, which can produce stunning results, especially if you added minoxidil... I know you probably just want to get this problem fixed asap but being on treatments for at least 12 months before a transplant is the SMART thing to do, firstly it can decrease any shock loss to your native hair, and in 12 months you may not need a transplant, or only need 2000 grafts and save money.

In the meantime Dermatch or nanaogen are great concealers to help you carry on working.

Best to follow your brain on this one, not your emotions.

king-

Experienced Member
Reaction score

i agree with everyone here ,

step 1: get a blood test for your thyroid

step2: if everything is ok go on the big 3 ( propecia, minoxdil , nizoral )

you should see good results

DoctorHouse

Reaction score

Wow, my heart goes out to you. You had such amazing hair. As a model, that would be very devastating for me, if I was going through what you are in such a short amount of time. I would definitely hold off on a hair transplant and try Propecia for a year or even better the best advice as Dr Rassman pointed out get the Hairdx test(hairdx.com) that will show how effective Propecia will work for you. If the genetic test shows you will not respond well to Propecia, then get a transplant. This is how Rassman is addresses his patient's now. However if the test determines you will be a good responder than take Propecia first and wait a year to get a transplant if it does not help.

columbo

Reaction score

it goes without saying you are a good looking guy but I seriously think you would look equally as good with a shaved head! you have perfect features for it.

Get your head shaved and get on the meds! :)

21ukheregoes

Reaction score

hey guys thank you so much the replies.

i had my bloods done 6 months ago and they all came back totally fine.

it has really made me think more and more about this.
i've been reading these forums religiously for the last few months, reading instead of sleeping. i appreciate everyones comments.

i am going to contact h&w and see what they say about the fact that i have not finished losing hair and so wont it turn out bad in years to come once this hair has shed.
you guys are right, i was under the impression that the finasteride would stop my current hair from falling out and the hair transplant would fill in the gaps so to speak.

I am already on finasteride and nizoral, i am just a little weary of rogaine, just for the fact that ive read stories on this forum and others showing stories of all the hair falling out just because it was taken for literally 2 days.

my question to the people who have been through this is, is it time to get the hair transplant in years to come when the big three stops working? i am just curious to know for how long the 'big three' lasts? des it just stop working all of a sudden?

thank you for all your help.
i'll keep yu informed of what dr hasson says.

ps - i was under the impression that finasteride just stopped the fall out process. so if this is correct, what would be the point in waiting to see if finasteride works? it would mean that in a years time i would be in exactly the same position i am in now is this now correct?

kind regards my friends

Def

Established Member
Reaction score

Good that you're reading these forums - there is a load to be learned - however, there are also many "scare stories" which simply aren't true for the majority.

finasteride addresses (one of ) the underlying causes of hair loss by inhibiting one of the enzymes that converts testosterone to dihydrotestosterone (DHT). It can both help you maintain and/or regrow hair.

I have no idea how minoxidil works (some people say it is a vasodilator) but it does not treat the underlying causes of hair loss. It is a regrowth agent, and while a shedding period may occur, more people than not get decent results with it.

nizoral and copper peptides etc will all help to reduce inflammation, prolong the growth phase of the hairs on your head and optimise scalp environment.

Again, I would strongly advise that you put to one side the scare stories, try out these treatments consistenly for 12 months (try to ride out any minor side effects as most subside) and then see what your hair is like. Since you've recently lost some of your hair, there is a good chance you may get it back and not need an hair transplant for quite some time. My view is that jumping into an hair transplant is the last thing you want to do...

Def

Petchsky

Reaction score

With hairloss you will find there is no universal response. Some people will get regrowth with propecia and see no loss for 10+ years, while some may notice their hair slowly getting worse after a few years, although a lot slower than it would without propecia. The propecia still works to slow your loss down considerably. Some may find propecia does not work that well for them... No set response unfortunately, as we all have different physiologies. It works more often than not though :)

With 12 months on the meds you will know where you stand, and then you will be able to make a better decision regarding a transplant.

SE-freak

Reaction score

Hello to all

To the OP:

1. Congrats on a great jawline!
2. As many have already mentioned you have experienced rapid loss during the last year. You will have to verify it is male pattern baldness and not some other health issue. In case it is male pattern baldness do not rush on the hair transplant. Even if you had one, you would get on the big 3 anyways to counter your loss and create a darker background for your new grafts. So, since meds are a go go, get on them first and see how it goes. Recenty lost= easily gained. A follicle cannot die in such a short timeframe it can only shut down.

It is very possible that you will be surprised by the results that the combination of these treatments can offer.

Fortunately for you, you are at the right place with the right people. Info is here, it takes patience and character to stay consistent on treatments, ride out sheds and get rid of denial even after success.

SE

khali

Established Member
Reaction score

I wonder what norwood scale this pattern would fall under. I have a similar male pattern of baldness . As for transplants they should be performed at the age of 30. By the time you reach the age of 30 there will be more advance technology for hair transplants. Anyway, I think toppik would be a good solution for you. So far i used nizoral 2% myself and that keep my left over hair in good condition.

BoilerRoom

Established Member
Reaction score

Your looking like a diffuse thinner (I am as well). We don't follow the typical Norwood scales.

s.a.f

Reaction score

What ?!?!
Thats not diffuse he's clearly thinning and receeding in the most typical m.p.b style.

KANGA

Established Member
Reaction score

Agreed. He's heading for the horseshoe.

khali

Established Member
Reaction score

I can't tell if that's a norwood 3 or a norwood 5.

khali

Established Member
Reaction score

Here is a lecture on hair transplants.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5Br8ZYLCMY

The doctor says if you are 25, and in the norwood 2 or 3 range then its a bad idea to get a hair transplant. He says the reason is because in 10 years its possible to hit norwood 7.