[21 Yo Male] Does This Look Like male pattern baldness Or Just A Mature Hairline?

CrownBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
Their comment was that since my hairline hasn’t moved (which it hasn’t since I could check so about two years ago) and since I am not shedding at all, that I shouldn’t jump to finasteride yet. Appearently Real male pattern baldness usually has a lot of shedding along with it?

I still can’t believe this. I used to look so good and my hair used to be incredible. I don’t want to live my life like this
Your hair looks great, I wish I had it. NO ONE can tell that you have any hair loss. I’d still try to get on finasteride though. The earlier, the better.

GhostKoi

My Regimen
Reaction score
Your hair looks great, I wish I had it. NO ONE can tell that you have any hair loss. I’d still try to get on finasteride though. The earlier, the better.

Could it potentially hurt to go on finasteride even if I’m not actually balding? (I.e. say my derm is right and that this is temporary caused by stress etc... if I went on finasteride could that cause shedding and ultimately hurt my hair?).

crikey1980

Established Member
Reaction score
Perfect head of hair dude,from the age of 18 a mature hairline will slowly come in.
My hair was like yours at 21,I'm 38 now and I'm a Norwood 2.5 but still get compliments on my hair and I have mob but no one can tell (at least I hope not).
But at this time you do not have male pattern baldness and maybe never will.

GhostKoi

My Regimen
Reaction score
Perfect head of hair dude,from the age of 18 a mature hairline will slowly come in.
My hair was like yours at 21,I'm 38 now and I'm a Norwood 2.5 but still get compliments on my hair and I have mob but no one can tell (at least I hope not).
But at this time you do not have male pattern baldness and maybe never will.

I’m well past this. My hair is miniaturizing. The process has begun. I’m trying to know how finasteride would impact me if I’m not actually suffering from male pattern baldness. Can miniaturization happen outside of male pattern baldness?

CrownBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
I’m well past this. My hair is miniaturizing. The process has begun. I’m trying to know how finasteride would impact me if I’m not actually suffering from male pattern baldness. Can miniaturization happen outside of male pattern baldness?
Alright dude, if you’ve been confirmed of having miniaturization, you have male pattern baldness. It sucks but you are actually lucky compared to a lot of us here.

You caught it incredibly early, and like other people have said, you probably don’t have aggressive male pattern baldness and may keep your hair looking this way for YEARS without treatment.

Take a few photos now of every angle in specific lighting. A few months from now do the same thing, IN THE SAME LIGHTING, that’s extremely important. If you see a change, hop on finasteride and you’ll most likely maintain. Welcome to the club

GhostKoi

My Regimen
Reaction score
Alright dude, if you’ve been confirmed of having miniaturization, you have male pattern baldness. It sucks but you are actually lucky compared to a lot of us here.

You caught it incredibly early, and like other people have said, you probably don’t have aggressive male pattern baldness and may keep your hair looking this way for YEARS without treatment.

Take a few photos now of every angle in specific lighting. A few months from now do the same thing, IN THE SAME LIGHTING, that’s extremely important. If you see a change, hop on finasteride and you’ll most likely maintain. Welcome to the club

Thanks... do you think there is value to just jumping on it now? Even if I haven’t seen any recession yet (just some miniaturization). I can’t bear to actually loose hair and I really don’t want to risk it at all. I am fully willing to deal with any sides that come so that’s not an issue. I just want to minimize this horror as much as possible. It’s already destroyed the last two months of my summer.

CrownBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks... do you think there is value to just jumping on it now? Even if I haven’t seen any recession yet (just some miniaturization). I can’t bear to actually loose hair and I really don’t want to risk it at all. I am fully willing to deal with any sides that come so that’s not an issue. I just want to minimize this horror as much as possible. It’s already destroyed the last two months of my summer.
I can only tell you my personal story, I’ve been on finasteride for 2 months and my hair is a lot worse than when I started. But I think this is because I got on finasteride once my male pattern baldness got aggressive. I’m your age and my hair is WAY WORSE. I think stress made my hair loss aggressive, and now that I’m stressing more, I’m losing more. It’s hard to tell you this because you seem to be an anxious person, like me, but try to manage your stress.

I wish I got on finasteride when my hair looked like yours.

GhostKoi

My Regimen
Reaction score
I can only tell you my personal story, I’ve been on finasteride for 2 months and my hair is a lot worse than when I started. But I think this is because I got on finasteride once my male pattern baldness got aggressive. I’m your age and my hair is WAY WORSE. I think stress made my hair loss aggressive, and now that I’m stressing more, I’m losing more. It’s hard to tell you this because you seem to be an anxious person, like me, but try to manage your stress.

I wish I got on finasteride when my hair looked like yours.

Yeah that’s honestly what I’m worried about. I don’t think I can live through the shedding period on finasteride, esp when my hair doesn’t look too bad now. I also know it will take a while to regrow from there and continue to shed in cycles. That’s my biggest concern. Honestly a lot of me wants to shave it all off and just buy a hair system or something along those lines. I feel like it will spare me some of the pain

CrownBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah that’s honestly what I’m worried about. I don’t think I can live through the shedding period on finasteride, esp when my hair doesn’t look too bad now. I also know it will take a while to regrow from there and continue to shed in cycles. That’s my biggest concern. Honestly a lot of me wants to shave it all off and just buy a hair system or something along those lines. I feel like it will spare me some of the pain
I’m getting a partial crown piece very soon. But you’re far away from that man. NO ONE sees your male pattern baldness, even people here aren’t really convinced. Even if you do shed it probably won’t have any visual effect

GhostKoi

My Regimen
Reaction score
I’m getting a partial crown piece very soon. But you’re far away from that man. NO ONE sees your male pattern baldness, even people here aren’t really convinced. Even if you do shed it probably won’t have any visual effect

Thanks man! It means a lot. Yeah it’s frusterating because it seems like even my dermatologist doesn’t really believe that I have it yet I know the longer I wait the worse it’s going to get... my parents the same way. I’ll get a second opinion and beg to go on finasteride so maybe I don’t continue to loose.

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey dude, I'm 21 too and my hairline is almost identical to yours. Its definitely male pattern baldness, don't listen to the members who say you are fine because even if you're not in an active state of miniaturisation it will get worse at some point. Do yourself a favour and get a prescription for finasteride as a precaution, when your hairline starts receding again you are going to need it.