12 Years On Finasteride And Min Long Term Success

Ryan1972

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have not posted on any hair loss forums for several years. Honestly the meds have maintained and regrown a lot of my hair and at my age now (47) I think I am way ahead of the average guy. Way back in 2004 I first noticed rapid, diffuse thinning. It progressed quickly and by 2007 I was so thin I had to have my head shaved to look ok. My hair was thin in the traditional horse shoe pattern. It was so thin that scalp could be seen all over and when it was wet it looked like I had been on chemo. In 2007 I started the Big 3 and within two years I had seen great success. Now I’m approaching 50 and I get compliments on my hair. The meds work. They take time, but they maintain and regrow and I am very happy I found these forums 12 years ago and started treatment. Hope others have had long term success too...

Attachments

• 235E7D91-C9DE-45F3-9148-CB2FE95043FD.png
    235E7D91-C9DE-45F3-9148-CB2FE95043FD.png
    420.9 KB · Views: 3,816

Ryan1972

My Regimen
Reaction score
I don’t really know much about balding but I honestly wouldn’t have guessed you had hair loss.
Yeah I never lost a ton at my temples,so my hairline stayed intact. But it was very diffuse in the horseshoe pattern and the crown was super thin. After 12 years I have way more hair than I did when I started the meds. Thanks for the compliment.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Yeah I never lost a ton at my temples,so my hairline stayed intact. But it was very diffuse in the horseshoe pattern and the crown was super thin. After 12 years I have way more hair than I did when I started the meds. Thanks for the compliment.
I remember you from HLH and here. Glad to see you have maintained. I don't have way more hair than when I started but I did maintain better than most of my peers.

JWM2

Established Member
Reaction score
I remember you too. If I recall, you were using dutasteride and minoxidil liquid once a night. Is this still what you're using?

Ryan1972

My Regimen
Reaction score
I remember you too. If I recall, you were using dutasteride and minoxidil liquid once a night. Is this still what you're using?
I did use dutasteride for about a year and liquid minoxidil originally. At some point around 2014 I switched back to finasteride 1mg a day and also switched to the foam probably around the same time.

BeHereNow

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I did use dutasteride for about a year and liquid minoxidil originally. At some point around 2014 I switched back to finasteride 1mg a day and also switched to the foam probably around the same time.

Do you use foam once or twice a day?

JWM2

Established Member
Reaction score

Why did you stop Dutasteride? And why did you switch to the foam?

xaragedom

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You are looking great! What % minoxidil are you using and once or twice a day? Also Are you appling it on your whole scalp? And how many times are you shampooing with Nizoral? Seeing your post make me hopeful that maybe BIG 3 wont lost it efficiency over time.

Ryan1972

My Regimen
Reaction score
Do you use foam once or twice a day?
I used to use it twice a day, but eventually I ended up just using it once daily. Sometimes I miss a day. I need to get back to twice daily. I do believe when I used it 2x a day everyday I noticed some under eye puffiness like “bags” so I cut back.

Ryan1972

My Regimen
Reaction score
You are looking great! What % minoxidil are you using and once or twice a day? Also Are you appling it on your whole scalp? And how many times are you shampooing with Nizoral? Seeing your post make me hopeful that maybe BIG 3 wont lost it efficiency over time.
I use the Equate brand foam 5% from Walmart. I apply it over the whole top of my head. I haven’t been using Nizral shampoo as much as I should. I order it from alldaychemist and I ran out a few times over the last year and missed weeks. But I’m back using it now about 2-3 a week. Thanks for the compliment.

Ryan1972

My Regimen
Reaction score
Since a few people remembered me from way back in like 2008, I used to say that if my hair ever recovered I would grow it out long. In 2017 at 45 years old, I finally decided to do this before I got too old for it forever. It looked good but under harsh lighting the bangs were thin and whispy and light compared to the sides. But hey I recovered enough hair to try it at least. All because of the Big 3. I was a serious diffuse thinner prior to treatments. I couldn’t even grow my hair an inch long in 2007.

Attachments

• D4609CDA-8F71-46A1-9D60-BB577E4B5479.png
    D4609CDA-8F71-46A1-9D60-BB577E4B5479.png
    491.1 KB · Views: 1,652
  • 865BF421-C3DB-40AE-AF81-0483DC6CFBD2.jpeg
    865BF421-C3DB-40AE-AF81-0483DC6CFBD2.jpeg
    82.1 KB · Views: 1,667
Last edited:

Ryan1972

My Regimen
Reaction score
Why did you stop using Dutasteride?
I didn’t notice any additional benefit over what finasteride had achieved. Plus I seemed to be very tired all day and less strong erections after several months in it. finasteride gives me less sides and it maintained me well for 10 years.

Last edited:

tabletable

My Regimen
Reaction score
How often do you dermaroll? Is it difficult to do it? I thought that the people who dermarolled were people with complete bald spots but I assume you do it over your hair?

Fantastic results btw. Nothing else to say really.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
I have not posted on any hair loss forums for several years. Honestly the meds have maintained and regrown a lot of my hair and at my age now (47) I think I am way ahead of the average guy. Way back in 2004 I first noticed rapid, diffuse thinning. It progressed quickly and by 2007 I was so thin I had to have my head shaved to look ok. My hair was thin in the traditional horse shoe pattern. It was so thin that scalp could be seen all over and when it was wet it looked like I had been on chemo. In 2007 I started the Big 3 and within two years I had seen great success. Now I’m approaching 50 and I get compliments on my hair. The meds work. They take time, but they maintain and regrow and I am very happy I found these forums 12 years ago and started treatment. Hope others have had long term success too...
Don't take this the wrong way but you kind of look like Ryan Seacrest and your name is Ryan how ironic. In your 2017 photos you look like Tarzan. You managed to maintain your physique too. Is it all natural now?

Night

Established Member
Reaction score
Dude looks like a better looking version of Guy Pearce and even better hair too lol.

This is basically goals for every person here, having better hair after you start treatment 12 years later...

We have a few people on here posting updates now and again that shows staying the course is better than not. Peabody for example.

BeHereNow

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Since a few people remembered me from way back in like 2008, I used to say that if my hair ever recovered I would grow it out long. In 2017 at 45 years old, I finally decided to do this before I got too old for it forever. It looked good but under harsh lighting the bangs were thin and whisky and light compared to the sides. But hey I recovered enough hair to try it at least. All because of the Big 3. I was a serious diffuse thinner prior to treatments. I couldn’t even grow my hair an inch long in 2007.

How did you find applying minoxidil foam when you had long hair?