zzzzz's 1 year dutasteride results

zzzzz

My Regimen
Reaction score
i would love to know how zzzzzzz is doing today
I'm still using dutasteride and my hair is still the same.

Well actually, I got off dutasteride and am on nothing whatsoever starting in September 2020 because I'm having issues with fertility. My semen volume was much lower on dutasteride.

But all these issues will be resolved soon and I'll be restarting my dutasteride 0.5mg daily as usual in June.

My hair actually didn't start falling out again for 6 months after I stopped dutasteride, which makes sense because it takes like 4-5 months after you stop for your DHT to reach normal levels again.

I haven't lost much ground since the time I've been off, the hair I've lost in these few months hasn't really been noticeable, other than the hairs accumulating in the drain that were never there the last 6 years. My hair looks the same as the day I started dutasteride basically.

abovedagame

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the update. What is your exact regimen? .5 dutasteride daily, liquid minoxidil once a day, and nizoral?

whatintheworld

Reaction score
@zzzzz what are you doing for your fertility issues? Are you sure they won't come back once you start using dutasteride again?

Maybe switching to finasteride will decrease the chance of them coming back?

mj9

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You have the exact same male pattern baldness as me. I think people underestimate the power of minoxidil and I have done too. I've just switched to oral minoxidil as well and I'm hoping I can get some good growth. What is your exact regimen that works successfully? How do you apply the minoxidil - do you rub it or let it soak in and dry naturally?

Also, do you mind telling me you ethnicity? Your head looks identical to mine from the back and it's scary how similar your hairloss is to mine. My hairloss also started when I was around 19.

Last edited:

zzzzz

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the update. What is your exact regimen? .5 dutasteride daily, liquid minoxidil once a day, and nizoral?
.5 dutasteride + liquid 5% minoxidil every day, and regenepure DR shampoo every other day

Also, do you mind telling me you ethnicity? What is your exact regimen that works successfully? How do you apply the minoxidil - do you rub it or let it soak in and dry naturally?
Mix of Irish, English, Italian, and trace amounts of other European ancestries. My exact regimen is what I said above. I rub in the minoxidil, 1-1.25 ml, about an hour to two before bed.

what are you doing for your fertility issues?
I'm seeing a doctor for it, its caused by having cancer when I was 11. The doctor thought stopping dutasteride until these issues are resolved would increase my chances of sperm being found in my semen

Norwoody

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Accounts like this one make me wonder if dutasteride is not really responsible for "destroying hairlines", and the reality may be that most people don't take long enough time on the drug to ride out the shed before experiencing regrowth. Perhaps the fact that dutasteride's half life is so much longer and that it takes much longer to reach steady state is the reason why the sheds can be much longer. And since the drug is much more powerful the sheds are probably significantly worse too. But if more people rode it out then maybe they would reap rewards.

zzzzz

My Regimen
Reaction score
Accounts like this one make me wonder if dutasteride is not really responsible for "destroying hairlines", and the reality may be that most people don't take long enough time on the drug to ride out the shed before experiencing regrowth. Perhaps the fact that dutasteride's half life is so much longer and that it takes much longer to reach steady state is the reason why the sheds can be much longer. And since the drug is much more powerful the sheds are probably significantly worse too. But if more people rode it out then maybe they would reap rewards.

Yes unless you're taking external anabolic hormones (steroids) its basically impossible to continue to lose hair on dutasteride

BigBadBaldie

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes unless you're taking external anabolic hormones (steroids) its basically impossible to continue to lose hair on dutasteride
I’ve been on it for 1 1/2 years and have continued to lose hair in that time. My barber commented on it so I know I’m not just seeing things. There’s studies showing some people just don’t respond well to it, sadly I’m one of those

zzzzz

My Regimen
Reaction score
How much more effective do you think dutasteride is when compared to finasteride?
If I recall correctly, in studies approximately 90% of men maintain their hair long term (10 years) on finasteride, and its something like 99% or 100% on dutasteride

Einstein

Established Member
Reaction score
The major factor playing to your favor is your age. The younger you are the better you respond to treatments. You should’ve kept using the RU topical, you would’ve spurted like a chia-pet.

Reactions: mj9

dehoha

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If I recall correctly, in studies approximately 90% of men maintain their hair long term (10 years) on finasteride, and its something like 99% or 100% on dutasteride
Wait... on your first post 7 years ago, it seems like your hairline receded quite a bit after 1 year mark. The width of your forehead seems broader in the 1 year mark photo. Is this true? I ask this because I am hitting 1 year mark with finasteride and I have a very similar experience. My existing hairs are thicker, but I have receded tremendously on front/sides.