zzzzz's 1 year dutasteride results

Ziggyz123

Established Member
Reaction score
zzzzz, i started dutasteride a month and like 4 days ago after 2 years of finasteride (one year of which i just lost so much hair, had scalp pain, itch, etc..).How much do you normally shed? i shed like 50 hairs just blow drying in the morning that i can count.. also, was there a period where you realized your hair was getting better? i saw you still have the itch and stuff still and got regrowth. i quit minoxidil last december so i dont expect regrowth from duta, but rather just maintenance. I have zero sides and take legit avodart so im not sure if i just dont respond to AA's or what the hell is up with me.

Last edited by a moderator:

JBone88

My Regimen
Reaction score
Is dutasteride a lot more dangerous than finasteride? At the moment I'm using a Saw Palmetto DHT blocked but know I'm going to have to try finasteride or dutasteride if I'm serious about keeping what I have

zzzzz

My Regimen
Reaction score
zzzzz, i started dutasteride a month and like 4 days ago after 2 years of finasteride (one year of which i just lost so much hair, had scalp pain, itch, etc..).How much do you normally shed? i shed like 50 hairs just blow drying in the morning that i can count.. also, was there a period where you realized your hair was getting better? i saw you still have the itch and stuff still and got regrowth. i quit minoxidil last december so i dont expect regrowth from duta, but rather just maintenance. I have zero sides and take legit avodart so im not sure if i just dont respond to AA's or what the hell is up with me.

yea, my hair was getting very good in month 3 and 4. It is unclear how much of this is from the minoxidil and how much is from the dutasteride. It may be mostly from the minoxidil I don't think you will notice much difference from the finasteride - it is not like you will get a sudden shock or regrowth because of the switch.

I shed probably 2 or 3 dozen hairs or so every time I apply minoxidil nightly on my fingers

- - - Updated - - -

Is dutasteride a lot more dangerous than finasteride? At the moment I'm using a Saw Palmetto DHT blocked but know I'm going to have to try finasteride or dutasteride if I'm serious about keeping what I have

I don't know if dangerous is the right word to use but yes sides are more likely, will last longer, and be more severe than sides from finasteride usually

OSWALD

Reaction score
These are NOT dutasteride results. These are minoxidil results. If you quit minoxidil, you will lose important part of your hair.Minoxidil looks like hair fibers aka topic. Minoxidil causes fake results.

Ziggyz123

Established Member
Reaction score
These are NOT dutasteride results. These are minoxidil results. If you quit minoxidil, you will lose important part of your hair.Minoxidil looks like hair fibers aka topic. Minoxidil causes fake results.

You have no clue as to what you are saying......

nikko

Reaction score

Yeah dude just be quiet in a corner.

Great results by the way!!

sportsfan12

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey zzzzz,

I'm 11 months on finasteride, 3 years or so minoxidil, 26 years old. finasteride has pretty much restored crown to "normal" but hairline is still slowly thinning, one side much more so than the other.

Would you recommend trying out dutasteride, considering I'm just hoping for hairline regrowth/thickening (or at the very least halting further loss)? I'm just trying to weigh risk/reward as I have had no sides with finasteride and it's done good things for my crown.

drock18

Reaction score
Zzz, in your blood tests, we're your test levels affected by dutasteride? And did you get estrogen checked? I'd be curious to know how /if estrogen was affected by dutasteride.

sportsfan12

Established Member
Reaction score
Zzz, in your blood tests, we're your test levels affected by dutasteride? And did you get estrogen checked? I'd be curious to know how /if estrogen was affected by dutasteride.

what is ideal and what should we look for when getting bloodwork done? im 11 months into finasteride and considering dutasteride, are there good signs/bad signs when getting bloodwork done? i imagine on one end, lower test would mean its working but then again, your test is down. im just a little confused as to what we should be looking for when getting bloodwork

drock18

Reaction score
check to make sure test and estrogen levels are within the acceptable ranges. your testosterone production should not be negatively affected by finasteride/dutasteride. the medication will inhibit the conversion of testosterone to dht but doesn't inhibit your body's production of testosterone. i was just curious because some people report slightly higher testosterone levels after taking finasteride/dutasteride. Also, some people report elevated estrogen levels after taking finasteride/dutasteride, which is bad. high estrogen on it's own antagonizes test and will kill sex drive, cause shrinkage of your penis, brain fog, high blood pressure. Now if you have low test and high estrogen, you're really going to feel like $hit. expect your dht to be low, but make sure your test and estrogen are in check. Do you have any baseline blood work ? do you feel any sides? get your hormones checked and let us know how it goes. you don't even need a doctor to get blood work. I get mine at privatemdlabs.com it's online and you just go to labcorp and the results are emailed to you. you can do it through a doctor if you wish but i find it's a hassle. although you pay out of pocket for the lab work which is expensive. by the way is there a setting on this board where you can get notified if someone posts a response to your question?

Captain Hook

Established Member
Reaction score
Literally just realised you're the same guy as BigAndJuicy on bodybuilding forums. I could tell by the progress pics. Congrats on the results brah. Mirin gains.

sportsfan12

Established Member
Reaction score
check to make sure test and estrogen levels are within the acceptable ranges. your testosterone production should not be negatively affected by finasteride/dutasteride. the medication will inhibit the conversion of testosterone to dht but doesn't inhibit your body's production of testosterone. i was just curious because some people report slightly higher testosterone levels after taking finasteride/dutasteride. Also, some people report elevated estrogen levels after taking finasteride/dutasteride, which is bad. high estrogen on it's own antagonizes test and will kill sex drive, cause shrinkage of your penis, brain fog, high blood pressure. Now if you have low test and high estrogen, you're really going to feel like $hit. expect your dht to be low, but make sure your test and estrogen are in check. Do you have any baseline blood work ? do you feel any sides? get your hormones checked and let us know how it goes. you don't even need a doctor to get blood work. I get mine at privatemdlabs.com it's online and you just go to labcorp and the results are emailed to you. you can do it through a doctor if you wish but i find it's a hassle. although you pay out of pocket for the lab work which is expensive. by the way is there a setting on this board where you can get notified if someone posts a response to your question?

thanks for your response. i havent felt any sides and i feel good. im 11 months into finasteride and it restored my crown, but i really would like more help on my hairline (specifically one side). i can pretty much move my hair around now to cover up the one side but if i lose any more there its gonna suck and i think dutasteride can help. im only 25 going on 26 and single so this is literally the last thing i want to have to worry about at this point in my life and all it does is consume me every day

i was interesting in blood work just for peace of mind KNOWING my body's fine and that any "sides" would prob be mental.

zzzzz

My Regimen
Reaction score
New to the forum and considering finasteride or dutasteride, awesome results!

thanks

update is I stopped minoxidil and its been bad. Still on dutasteride. Will be starting minoxidil again. I intend to update this again maybe in November or so with new pics after restarting minoxidil has had it's time to do its thing

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
thanks

update is I stopped minoxidil and its been bad. Still on dutasteride. Will be starting minoxidil again. I intend to update this again maybe in November or so with new pics after restarting minoxidil has had it's time to do its thing

zzzz, your avatar always makes me so happy and comfortable with life. hahaha

BaldingHelpMe

Established Member
Reaction score
thanks

So how much regrowth do you think come from minoxidil? So dutasteride alone does not help? This is very worrying since topical isn't an option for me. Sad.

zzzzz

My Regimen
Reaction score
So how much regrowth do you think come from minoxidil? So dutasteride alone does not help? This is very worrying since topical isn't an option for me. Sad.

Almost all of it. dutasteride alone helps, it just does not regrow. When I stopped I lost all the regrowth the minoxidil gave me, which is what made it worse

Maddy17

My Regimen
Reaction score
I am going to suggest to you that your month 5-6 shed was not due to dutasteride, but likely due to your discontinuation of RU which you used for 3 months and then stopped in July, just before your shed the following month commencing. RU is a very potent anti-androgen which blocks the receptor. CHANGE usually starts a shed. change in dosage, or dosage interval, adding or eliminating anything, minoxidil, RU or anything else can kick off a Telogen Effluvium shed.

QUOTE:
My regimen's dosages are listed under my name on the left of this post

minoxidil once daily at night since November 2013
Dutasteride .5mg daily since March 17th 2014
RU since April 2014,discontinued in July 2014
Nizoral twice weekly since June 2014

Have not experienced any sides whatsoever

As you can see my hair actually got much worse between month 5 and 6. I went through a really horrible shed but it has since come back the same or slightly stronger. This is common with treatment.

Maddy17

My Regimen
Reaction score
I know this is an old thread, but the quote you posted from Bryan with the hair counts by study and product (finasteride, dutasteride, minoxidil), it doesn't give the parameter for the counts. For example, one study on dutasteride v finasteride I read gave hair counts around like 22-32, but that was in 1 square centimeter of scalp. Without the frame of reference of the physical scalp area under which the measurement happened in those studies, you really can't tell if they are comparable.