"Your hair looks chalky." #$%@#$$#%!

epictetus

Reaction score
I've been using DermMatch for a while, but I've been indoors, and around few people. Nobody has said anything.

This past weekend, I went to a family barbeque. We're outside, noonish, and my uncle says out of nowhere that my hair looks chalky. f***!

And I was so sold on this stuff.

God, I'm so sick of hiding that I'm tempted to just buzz it.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Dermatch looks sh*t in direct sunlight. Try a fibres type of concealer like Nanogen or toppic.

Petchsky

Reaction score
Yep, it goes from chalky to fuzzy if you change from Derm to Nano, truth is direct sunlight is a bastard for us balders. Still, you didn't get busted exactly.

johngreek

Reaction score
use water beased hairspray to finish your hairstyle . Spray it and very gently pat it all around your hair . It will give you a "geled" look , kind of wet and sticky but will pass for natural

fluffy123

Established Member
Reaction score
To be honest, I think even fibres can look chalky and bad in strong sunshine. When I used it (I stopped recently) I spent quite a few mornings before work worrying the hell about how it looked in front of sunshine...

CCS

Reaction score
s.a.f said:
Dermatch looks sh*t in direct sunlight. Try a fibres type of concealer like Nanogen or toppic.

Direct sunlight exposes all. Where a hat outside. Period. It will keep the sun off your face too, which is good. No one will suspect as long as you take it off inside.

My main gripe about dermmatch is it dries out after several months. I try adding water, but does not help enough. After several months, it is hard chalky powder and does not appy as well.

thetodd

Established Member
Reaction score
This is where having a fair complexion comes in handy. I've never been able to stay in the sun because my pale skin is too sensitive. If I do have to stay outside on very sunny days for any lengthy period of time, I already have to wear a hat, sunglasses, and a pound of sunblock. Nobody who knows me is going to get the least bit suspicious if I wear something over my head when in direct sunlight because I've always done that.

SuperMeh

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't completely agree with the comments here, I think with fibres you can get away completely if you use the right products or don't overapply!! Those with less hair might find it more difficult.

When I first started using nanogen fibres I went through one in about a week, I can actually stretch it to a month now which is what I think they advertise.. ¬_¬ anyway, if your hair is absolutly saturated with them then your hair doesn't have that shine that it should have when the sun hits it.. when I apply mine decently it looks good, the only issue I have is my hair is in between the colours they offer..

Added to this I think hairstyle could help a lot.

CCS

Reaction score
The problem with dermmatch and hats is you get brown inside your hat. Looks odd if anyone looks. And your sweat will carry it through your hat to the outside. Now that will look wierd.

I think I'll just tattoo follicles under my scalp. Some of the dyes out there just get lighter, and don't change colors, or so they claim.

LeesHair

Established Member
Reaction score
Well said SuperMeh :bravo: ,

The less-is-more approach has always served me well. I look like a guy with slightly thin hair, but not someone who is losing their hair.

I think having a bit less coverage that looks natural is much better than having complete coverage that looks like a concealment product- that's kind of self defeating. Fact is I won't look 20 even with a perfect head of hair, so I'd prefer to be realistic and remain undetected, but still look like I'm not losing hair.

I now use a little DermMatch, only on the middle nowhere near the hairline, and then a couple of shakes of Nanogen over the top, blended in and voila! It was really hot and sunny in the UK this June (has gone typically to sh*Telogen Effluvium now) and I was outside for 3 weekends running, even on the beach one weekend, and not one comment about my hair looking wrong.

thetodd

Established Member
Reaction score
How many people who aren't dealing with hairloss even know that there are such things as concealers?
I agree that it's best to use as little as possible, but it takes quite a bit of it to make yourself look ridiculous. That main problem with overuse is expense. Or if you're nearly bald and decide to spray paint your scalp with prothik.

Vinton Harper

Established Member
Reaction score
CCS said:
The problem with dermmatch and hats is you get brown inside your hat. Looks odd if anyone looks. And your sweat will carry it through your hat to the outside. Now that will look wierd.
Wear a dark hat.

SuperMeh

Established Member
Reaction score
thetodd said:
How many people who aren't dealing with hairloss even know that there are such things as concealers?
I agree that it's best to use as little as possible, but it takes quite a bit of it to make yourself look ridiculous. That main problem with overuse is expense. Or if you're nearly bald and decide to spray paint your scalp with prothik.
They ran a TV ad campaign on a digital channel here awhile ago, was not best pleased, hope they don't spread.. =[

Expense is also an issue yes, I wasn't really thinking of the ridiculous but the point where something looks out of place, I only use it on my crown, if I use too much then my crown looks darker than the rest of my hair, if I use a small amount then it looks normal, this might not be an issue for people with darker hair, I know people with blonde hair or going that way have a hard time with fibres.

thetodd

Established Member
Reaction score
SuperMeh said:
thetodd said:
They ran a TV ad campaign on a digital channel here awhile ago, was not best pleased, hope they don't spread.. =[

Expense is also an issue yes, I wasn't really thinking of the ridiculous but the point where something looks out of place, I only use it on my crown, if I use too much then my crown looks darker than the rest of my hair, if I use a small amount then it looks normal, this might not be an issue for people with darker hair, I know people with blonde hair or going that way have a hard time with fibres.
I'm very thin through the middle. My scalp is quite visible when I don't have a concealer on. Luckily, I still have enough hairs left that when I spray on the prothick it doesn't look as if I've painted my scalp. The product thickens the hairs I have and does shade my dome, but it looks pretty normal. A few weeks ago I was at my doctors office and noticed she kept looking at my head. I thought the concealer was obvious, but then she commented, "You let your hair grow out". The last time she saw me I had my hair shaved verrry short. When she saw me with the prothik on, her assumption was that I had just let my hair grow longer. I've been using rogaine for several months now without much regrowth, but I'm going to continue using it in the hopes that it allows me to keep enough hair for a concealer to work.