You guys think you have it bad. I’m screwed.

Orwell

My Regimen
Reaction score
I honestly never noticed it until September this year. I’m 36. My top was balding all over, my twin and I are probably destined to be a Norwood 6/7. Even just two years ago my hair looked fine, except the top which was thinning.
Have you seen this video from Lorenzo?:

Key takeaways:

> 15% miniaturisation in the donor = DUPA. (This seems rather low, as I seem to remember Rassman and Bernstein, when writing about DUPA in 2002, said that >35% miniaturisation in donor is DUPA. However, a decent hair transplant surgeon won't operate where miniaturisation in the donor is above 20-25%).
Meds generally work in the donor - better than in the recipient - and can reduce miniaturisation to a level where hair transplant is possible (conversely, Rassman says finasteride works around 50% of the time, but doesn't say whether he means donor, recipient, or both).

I also had sides on finasteride so will shortly be trying topical dutasteride. There are a couple of threads on this you may wish to search for.

Rubicant112

My Regimen
Reaction score
Have you seen this video from Lorenzo?:

Key takeaways:

> 15% miniaturisation in the donor = DUPA. (This seems rather low, as I seem to remember Rassman and Bernstein, when writing about DUPA in 2002, said that >35% miniaturisation in donor is DUPA. However, a decent hair transplant surgeon won't operate where miniaturisation in the donor is above 20-25%).
Meds generally work in the donor - better than in the recipient - and can reduce miniaturisation to a level where hair transplant is possible (conversely, Rassman says finasteride works around 50% of the time, but doesn't say whether he means donor, recipient, or both).

I also had sides on finasteride so will shortly be trying topical dutasteride. There are a couple of threads on this you may wish to search for.
I have seen that. I do plan to try finasteride again at a lower dose, but I also want to have tests done to check for any issues. Probably need to find an endocrinologist to help.

camille leprevost

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
View attachment 153957View attachment 153958View attachment 153960View attachment 153961View attachment 153962
DUPA guy here. Apparently nothing we can do for this. Also, I have an identical twin brother who has the same hair loss, except he’s slick bald on top.

I always had my hair long, so maybe that’s why I didn’t notice until this year when I sent pictures to see about getting a hair transplant. That’s when I was told that I have DUPA. Confirmed by Dr Rassman.

last year I tried finasteride, 1.25mg a day proscar, 5mg cut into fourths. Took it for 3-4 weeks until I noticed it was almost impossible to get an erection, or it was kind of soft. I stopped immediately after talking to my doctor. Right now all I do is rogaine once a day, and recently started 2% ketaconazole shampoo, and a demapen.

I always seemed to have thick wavy hair. Just thought I was going to go bald on top because both of my parents’ dads are bald.

Other than being twins, and having the same genetics, we both had a varicocel embolization done to fix a bad valve. They put these springs in to close it off.

One thing I will say is that my scalp all over is so damn itchy. A dermatologist suggested the ketoconazole because of seb dermatitis, but it’s still so damn itchy. Especially days when I shower and lay down to sleep. Now I usually shower in the morning before work, it always seems to itch so bad when I lay my head on my pillow. Doesn’t usually itch at work or anything until I get home. Maybe my scalp is allergic to my cats? Who knows.

My testosterone has always been high. Last time I had it checked it was 714 total. I’ve always had low vitamin D. Lowest was 6, last time I had it checked it was 31, still low. Gonna try a lower dose of finasteride once my GF and I can conceive. Worried that it’ll make things worse. Some things I’ve read seem to point to T being the problem, but no one seems to know much of anything about DUPA.

Cant really think of much else. Feel free to comment, unless you’re that Camille person who hijacks every post about DUPA.
sorry mate, did not wanted to hijacked your post but i think to share blood test will help anybody in the same boat. if you have seen my blood test, is it possible to see yours if you have one ? Maybe we can highlight some similitude that may help to identify what is the culprit of it. There is so few info on DUPA so thats will be great if we could have some blood work to share and analyse to create some DATA on the subject.

DogoDiLaurentiis as kindly helped me identify some issue on my blood test, would be great to see if you have the same pb.

Right now i am talking with an other dude who have DUPA as well. Just like me finasteride made his hair way worse and increase the shedding and thinning all over since on it. I think with DUPA we are not sensitive genetically to DHT but we might be to free testosterone level in the body. As my personnal experience it is the only explanation i have as finasteride wich boosted my T made my hair way worse than baseline (before taking finasteride, 8 month ago i was doing nothing except using topical rene furterer triphasic wich greatly increase the appearance of my hair i was still shedding all over when showering but my hair were healthy and did not shed that much during the day, at least was not noticeable, and my hair had quite the same dimmension in thickness everywhere, since taking finasteride, i lost so much hair on the side and back, the whole head as thin considerably, and i can see very thin hair with ok hair all over, i am thinking to stoping taking it cold turkey as we don't have regular male pattern baldness, i think it is wrong for us to use this drug. Moroever annecdotally, everytime i take any supplement to boost T level, my hair seems to worsen. The only think that improved things a bit was to take pepermint tea and flaxseed every day to reduce my free T level. I take cb0301 30mg/day topicall with no apparent effect, i don't think it is enough powerfull, and i am experimenting with topical bicalutamide, but i have an issue finding the right vehicule because of its poor solubility.

However what i think very strange is that my friend who have DUPA as well tried androcur for a full year 25 mg/day if i am correct, and literally crushed is T and DHT level. However he did not see a slight reduction in his shedding or any benefit to the texture of his hair on this treatment, wich question the cause of androgen in DUPA hair loss. This observation is really annoying to me as i don't understand how is it possible to not improve with no androgen.

Anyway if you want some more annecdote on my experimentation feel free to ask.

Best regard

DarkHairHair

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi man i have DUPA like you. I want to know ,
How many years have you been losing your hair?

Do you still have your Norwood 1 front line or are you Norwood 7?

Rubicant112

My Regimen
Reaction score
My top started going in my 20’s, but wasn’t too noticeable until maybe around 30. The back and sides I just noticed last year. Could’ve been going on for a while and I never knew because I kept my hair long in a ponytail. I’m sure I’m destined to be a Norwood 7.

DarkHairHair

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My top started going in my 20’s, but wasn’t too noticeable until maybe around 30. The back and sides I just noticed last year. Could’ve been going on for a while and I never knew because I kept my hair long in a ponytail. I’m sure I’m destined to be a Norwood 7.
Yes , but If you let your hair grow longer, do you still have your front line or not?

Rubicant112

My Regimen
Reaction score
I don’t know why it would. It’s just a procedure my twin brother and I have in common. Maybe it’s affecting us some way or another, but I doubt it.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
View attachment 153957View attachment 153958View attachment 153960View attachment 153961View attachment 153962
DUPA guy here. Apparently nothing we can do for this. Also, I have an identical twin brother who has the same hair loss, except he’s slick bald on top.

I always had my hair long, so maybe that’s why I didn’t notice until this year when I sent pictures to see about getting a hair transplant. That’s when I was told that I have DUPA. Confirmed by Dr Rassman.

last year I tried finasteride, 1.25mg a day proscar, 5mg cut into fourths. Took it for 3-4 weeks until I noticed it was almost impossible to get an erection, or it was kind of soft. I stopped immediately after talking to my doctor. Right now all I do is rogaine once a day, and recently started 2% ketaconazole shampoo, and a demapen.

I always seemed to have thick wavy hair. Just thought I was going to go bald on top because both of my parents’ dads are bald.

Other than being twins, and having the same genetics, we both had a varicocel embolization done to fix a bad valve. They put these springs in to close it off.

One thing I will say is that my scalp all over is so damn itchy. A dermatologist suggested the ketoconazole because of seb dermatitis, but it’s still so damn itchy. Especially days when I shower and lay down to sleep. Now I usually shower in the morning before work, it always seems to itch so bad when I lay my head on my pillow. Doesn’t usually itch at work or anything until I get home. Maybe my scalp is allergic to my cats? Who knows.

My testosterone has always been high. Last time I had it checked it was 714 total. I’ve always had low vitamin D. Lowest was 6, last time I had it checked it was 31, still low. Gonna try a lower dose of finasteride once my GF and I can conceive. Worried that it’ll make things worse. Some things I’ve read seem to point to T being the problem, but no one seems to know much of anything about DUPA.

Cant really think of much else. Feel free to comment, unless you’re that Camille person who hijacks every post about DUPA.
If you can't grow it back... and you don't want to just go ahead and shave it. how about considering a hair system? You can, buzz the back and sides real short... and have just a topper... French crop could be a nice style for you?

Rubicant112

My Regimen
Reaction score
If you can't grow it back... and you don't want to just go ahead and shave it. how about considering a hair system? You can, buzz the back and sides real short... and have just a topper... French crop could be a nice style for you?
I don’t know much about hair systems, but what I’ve seen they look pretty decent. Something I might try eventually.

Rubicant112

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi man
Have you found a solution?

Why don't you let your long hair grow on the top?
Nothing yet. I see my PCP soon, gonna ask about it. Maybe start some meds, get blood work done, maybe a biopsy. Doubt I’ll ever get an answer though as to what caused this. Probably just got extremely unlucky with male pattern baldness and FPHL.

DarkHairHair

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Nothing yet. I see my PCP soon, gonna ask about it. Maybe start some meds, get blood work done, maybe a biopsy. Doubt I’ll ever get an answer though as to what caused this. Probably just got extremely unlucky with male pattern baldness and FPHL.
You have "only" DUPA(FPHL) for me on the pictures. Why do you say that you have male pattern baldness ?

whatintheworld

Reaction score
Finasteride or dutasteride were the only things that could help in your case unfortunately. With aggressive male pattern baldness likely to Norwood 7, DUPA is not uncommon as well. It sucks, but that is why sticking to an anti androgen is crucial.

Now, you may get some gains if you chose to go on one, but you have to stay consistent. It is a long shot but if you are desperate it may be worth a try.

Rubicant112

My Regimen
Reaction score
Finasteride or dutasteride were the only things that could help in your case unfortunately. With aggressive male pattern baldness likely to Norwood 7, DUPA is not uncommon as well. It sucks, but that is why sticking to an anti androgen is crucial.

Now, you may get some gains if you chose to go on one, but you have to stay consistent. It is a long shot but if you are desperate it may be worth a try.
I do plan of going on finasteride and oral min soon, assuming my Dr will prescribe them.