You guys think you have it bad. I’m screwed.

Rubicant112

My Regimen
Reaction score
7FE91A72-D98A-4753-A61A-F2017865F962.jpeg
253F684A-C767-4F49-89AE-7A6A9EE8B084.jpeg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

DUPA guy here. Apparently nothing we can do for this. Also, I have an identical twin brother who has the same hair loss, except he’s slick bald on top.

I always had my hair long, so maybe that’s why I didn’t notice until this year when I sent pictures to see about getting a hair transplant. That’s when I was told that I have DUPA. Confirmed by Dr Rassman.

last year I tried finasteride, 1.25mg a day proscar, 5mg cut into fourths. Took it for 3-4 weeks until I noticed it was almost impossible to get an erection, or it was kind of soft. I stopped immediately after talking to my doctor. Right now all I do is rogaine once a day, and recently started 2% ketaconazole shampoo, and a demapen.

I always seemed to have thick wavy hair. Just thought I was going to go bald on top because both of my parents’ dads are bald.

Other than being twins, and having the same genetics, we both had a varicocel embolization done to fix a bad valve. They put these springs in to close it off.

One thing I will say is that my scalp all over is so damn itchy. A dermatologist suggested the ketoconazole because of seb dermatitis, but it’s still so damn itchy. Especially days when I shower and lay down to sleep. Now I usually shower in the morning before work, it always seems to itch so bad when I lay my head on my pillow. Doesn’t usually itch at work or anything until I get home. Maybe my scalp is allergic to my cats? Who knows.

My testosterone has always been high. Last time I had it checked it was 714 total. I’ve always had low vitamin D. Lowest was 6, last time I had it checked it was 31, still low. Gonna try a lower dose of finasteride once my GF and I can conceive. Worried that it’ll make things worse. Some things I’ve read seem to point to T being the problem, but no one seems to know much of anything about DUPA.

Cant really think of much else. Feel free to comment, unless you’re that Camille person who hijacks every post about DUPA.

Last edited:

whatintheworld

Reaction score
sh*t man, I'm sorry to hear your story.

Honestly, I think minoxidil is a bit of a waste of time in your situation. Without an anti androgen it will certainly fail.

In your situation I would just shave my head and move on. It seems like you have a girlfriend and life plans already so just enjoy your life.

NickyA

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Damn man, I feel bad for you. If it's any help I think you've a good head shape for shaving it off, I see no indentations from your pics either. I wish I had a decent looking full beard like yours. And like the dude above me wrote, it sounds like you have a girlfriend and life plans already so just enjoy your life.

Orwell

My Regimen
Reaction score
View attachment 153957View attachment 153958View attachment 153960View attachment 153961View attachment 153962
DUPA guy here. Apparently nothing we can do for this. Also, I have an identical twin brother who has the same hair loss, except he’s slick bald on top.

I always had my hair long, so maybe that’s why I didn’t notice until this year when I sent pictures to see about getting a hair transplant. That’s when I was told that I have DUPA. Confirmed by Dr Rassman.

last year I tried finasteride, 1.25mg a day proscar, 5mg cut into fourths. Took it for 3-4 weeks until I noticed it was almost impossible to get an erection, or it was kind of soft. I stopped immediately after talking to my doctor. Right now all I do is rogaine once a day, and recently started 2% ketaconazole shampoo, and a demapen.

I always seemed to have thick wavy hair. Just thought I was going to go bald on top because both of my parents’ dads are bald.

Other than being twins, and having the same genetics, we both had a varicocel embolization done to fix a bad valve. They put these springs in to close it off.

One thing I will say is that my scalp all over is so damn itchy. A dermatologist suggested the ketoconazole because of seb dermatitis, but it’s still so damn itchy. Especially days when I shower and lay down to sleep. Now I usually shower in the morning before work, it always seems to itch so bad when I lay my head on my pillow. Doesn’t usually itch at work or anything until I get home. Maybe my scalp is allergic to my cats? Who knows.

My testosterone has always been high. Last time I had it checked it was 714 total. I’ve always had low vitamin D. Lowest was 6, last time I had it checked it was 31, still low. Gonna try a lower dose of finasteride once my GF and I can conceive. Worried that it’ll make things worse. Some things I’ve read seem to point to T being the problem, but no one seems to know much of anything about DUPA.

Cant really think of much else. Feel free to comment, unless you’re that Camille person who hijacks every post about DUPA.
Sounds like me. I have DUPA, but nowhere near to the extent you have it (but obviously your pictures show its endgame). I also have low vit D (lowest was 9), and high T. I also can't tolerate finasteride.

If you don't mind my asking, when did it start/how long did it take you to reach this point? Did you notice hair loss starting in a classic male pattern baldness pattern prior to the all over thinning?

Rubicant112

My Regimen
Reaction score
Sounds like me. I have DUPA, but nowhere near to the extent you have it (but obviously your pictures show its endgame). I also have low vit D (lowest was 9), and high T. I also can't tolerate finasteride.

If you don't mind my asking, when did it start/how long did it take you to reach this point? Did you notice hair loss starting in a classic male pattern baldness pattern prior to the all over thinning?
I honestly never noticed it until September this year. I’m 36. My top was balding all over, my twin and I are probably destined to be a Norwood 6/7. Even just two years ago my hair looked fine, except the top which was thinning.

Selb

My Regimen
Reaction score
Could try using topical anti androgens in addition to your regimen.

ketaconazole cream 2% is a fairly weak one but could be a good start for you seeing as how quickly you got sides on finasteride. I would dermapen and then use the keto cream afterwards. Twice a day for it could help.

Other than that, I wish you luck

Rubicant112

My Regimen
Reaction score
Could try using topical anti androgens in addition to your regimen.

ketaconazole cream 2% is a fairly weak one but could be a good start for you seeing as how quickly you got sides on finasteride. I would dermapen and then use the keto cream afterwards. Twice a day for it could help.

Other than that, I wish you luck
What would you suggest? The derm prescribed me a topical minoxidil/finasteride, but it’s such a small bottle and it’s 60$ per bottle, so I don’t think I’ll use that.

DogoDiLaurentiis

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
View attachment 153957View attachment 153958View attachment 153960View attachment 153961View attachment 153962

I have no idea what DUPA is so I have no idea what it does.

-EDIT-

Ok I get it now, yeah I still think that DUPA probably has some kind of hormonal origin if you had pretty normal hair recently.

The cue is in the fact that you have full facial hair, it's highly doubtful it is genetic because otherwise facial hair would be included in that I think.

Rubicant112

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have no idea what DUPA is so I have no idea what it does.

-EDIT-

Ok I get it now, yeah I still think that DUPA probably has some kind of hormonal origin if you had pretty normal hair recently.

The cue is in the fact that you have full facial hair, it's highly doubtful it is genetic because otherwise facial hair would be included in that I think.
I always had long hair, so I could have had it for a while and never known. But even just two years ago I started keeping it short and didn’t notice how thin it was on the sides like it is. Also, my beard isn’t exactly full, there are some patchy spots, it just looks full because I haven’t shaved it in two months.

I am going to look into seeing an endocrinologist, but I doubt I’ll ever solve this mystery.

DogoDiLaurentiis

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I always had long hair, so I could have had it for a while and never known. But even just two years ago I started keeping it short and didn’t notice how thin it was on the sides like it is. Also, my beard isn’t exactly full, there are some patchy spots, it just looks full because I haven’t shaved it in two months.

I am going to look into seeing an endocrinologist, but I doubt I’ll ever solve this mystery.

Keep in mind and have hope that this is likely the result of an imbalance or an illness which can be treated.

DogoDiLaurentiis

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Why would that be the case when OP's twin brother also has the same problem? It's clearly genetic.

A lot of people have this extremely erroneous idea that "genetics" implies programmed boolean states in which either something happens or doesn't as a result of that genetic trait "saying so".

That simply isn't true, that's accepting the ridiculous idea that genes just do that, and while in some cases that might be closer to the truth, in a lot of cases what genes actually do is decrease, increase or otherwise modify a bodily function which then causes some kind of manifested effect through a sequence of altered biological processes.

As with the case of hypothyroidism in a genetic sense, one side of my family, all of my adult relatives while I was young suffered from impaired thyroid function, it wasn't until I was about age 30 or so that I really started to understand why my body was having issues with fatigue and impaired weight loss.

My entire mothers side of her family has problems with this, and all it took was ensuring that I get a specific ratio of thyroid hormone to basically fix the problem.

This is how a lot of "genetic" issues work, it means you need to find the solution to offset the problem, the idea of genes just being like boolean variables that enable or disable certain things for you without resulting first with a genetic trait and creating a causal path to a certain outcome is basically consigning yourself to a prison you don't have to live in.

If it were genetic, the likelihood then would be ALL HAIR would be affected, but clearly that is not the case, and the fact that he previously had hair before is certainly an indicator that something has changed and not merely some kind of gene.

There is a causal sequence that caused his hair to fall out, and what he needs to figure out is what specifically is causing it.

There is a greater likelihood than not that this is something which can be intervened upon in some way, it is not entirely hopeless.

Rubicant112

My Regimen
Reaction score
A lot of people have this extremely erroneous idea that "genetics" implies programmed boolean states in which either something happens or doesn't as a result of that genetic trait "saying so".

That simply isn't true, that's accepting the ridiculous idea that genes just do that, and while in some cases that might be closer to the truth, in a lot of cases what genes actually do is decrease, increase or otherwise modify a bodily function which then causes some kind of manifested effect through a sequence of altered biological processes.

As with the case of hypothyroidism in a genetic sense, one side of my family, all of my adult relatives while I was young suffered from impaired thyroid function, it wasn't until I was about age 30 or so that I really started to understand why my body was having issues with fatigue and impaired weight loss.

My entire mothers side of her family has problems with this, and all it took was ensuring that I get a specific ratio of thyroid hormone to basically fix the problem.

This is how a lot of "genetic" issues work, it means you need to find the solution to offset the problem, the idea of genes just being like boolean variables that enable or disable certain things for you without resulting first with a genetic trait and creating a causal path to a certain outcome is basically consigning yourself to a prison you don't have to live in.

If it were genetic, the likelihood then would be ALL HAIR would be affected, but clearly that is not the case, and the fact that he previously had hair before is certainly an indicator that.

There is a causal sequence that caused his hair to fall out, and what he needs to figure out is what specifically is causing it.

There is a greater likelihood than not that this is something which can be intervened upon in some way, it is not entirely hopeless.
So, “something has changed and not merely some kind of gene” has affected me and my twin brother at around the same time in our life, but it’s not genetic?

DogoDiLaurentiis

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So, “something has changed and not merely some kind of gene” has affected me and my twin brother at around the same time in our life, but it’s not genetic?

You didn't read my post at all.

Orwell

My Regimen
Reaction score

If it were genetic, the likelihood then would be ALL HAIR would be affected, but clearly that is not the case, and the fact that he previously had hair before is certainly an indicator that something has changed and not merely some kind of gene.

Well I don't know. Not much is known about DUPA, but the consensus appears to be that it is genetic. It also seems to happen in men in their 20s and 30s, but not later than 40 - OP is 36, and I am 35.

What could the 'solution to offset the problem' be?