You are being lied to about pirates

Slartibartfast

Reaction score
aussieavodart said:
Slartibartfast said:
The Left gained control of state education.

What did 'new labor' change in the curriculum that was so different to what the Tories left behind?
Nothing of any great significance: exams seemingly get easier with every year, courses became modular, and ever more universities complained of applicants lacking a basic grasp of english... or maths. Pretty much the same path as we were on under the Tories.

No, the rot set in several decades before New Labour's appearance; I'm with ex-education Minister 'Lord' Adonis that the destruction of the grammar system was one of the real biggies in what went wrong: http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/arti ... article.do

Slartibartfast

Reaction score
aussieavodart said:
oni said:
I think it's more to do with "Home and Away", "Neighbours" and too many "Antipodean" teachers in the school system.......................

Probably just too many British immigrants coming into the country I'd say.

They've even polluted our supermarkets with their own home style sausages.
Aren't you originally from New Zealand?

And how dare you slight the great British banger.

HughJass

Reaction score
Slartibartfast said:
aussieavodart said:
oni said:
I think it's more to do with "Home and Away", "Neighbours" and too many "Antipodean" teachers in the school system.......................

Probably just too many British immigrants coming into the country I'd say.

They've even polluted our supermarkets with their own home style sausages.
Aren't you originally from New Zealand?

Sorry, I meant the Crown's supermarkets

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Slartibartfast said:
..and ever more universities complained of applicants lacking a basic grasp of english... or maths.

How many different "maths" do you guys over there in England use? :)

I've heard of the "New Math"; do you also use an "Old Math"? How about a "Middle Math"? Is there an "Ancient Math"? :)

The Gardener

Reaction score
Bryan said:
And, quite contrarily, when we in the US refer to "sports", British people use the term "sport". On their newpapers, they don't have a "sports" page, they have a "sport" page.

:dunno:

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
The Gardener said:
And, quite contrarily, when we in the US refer to "sports", British people use the term "sport". On their newpapers, they don't have a "sports" page, they have a "sport" page.

It would make sense and seem logical only if they were to have coverage of a SINGLE sport on that "sport page". But I'm sure that even in England, they have coverage of sports other than just the boring game of soccer. So why do they call it a "sport page"? The Brits really do seem to have a problem with making the proper distinction between singular and plural nouns and verbs.

ali777

Reaction score
Bryan said:
The Gardener said:

It would make sense and seem logical only if they were to have coverage of a SINGLE sport on that "sport page". But I'm sure that even in England, they have coverage of sports other than just the boring game of soccer. So why do they call it a "sport page"? The Brits really do seem to have a problem with making the proper distinction between singular and plural nouns and verbs.

Interesting point. Newspapers and websites have a "Sport" section, but I wouldn't say "I'm gonna read the Sport page(s)". I would always say "I'm reading the sports pages".

I think "sport page" is a European thing, there are other languages that refer to the whole section as sport. Eg, La Gazzetta dello Sport is a whole newspaper devoted to sport, not sports :).

PS: I went to a few random US news sites. CNN has a SPORT section :dunno:. It is likely that they provide different content for international IP addresses.

Bryan said:
Slartibartfast said:
..and ever more universities complained of applicants lacking a basic grasp of english... or maths.

I've heard of the "New Math"; do you also use an "Old Math"? How about a "Middle Math"? Is there an "Ancient Math"? :)

OK, I'm lost here. There are lots of sciences that are in plural form, eg physics, electronics, mathematics, etc. I bet the plurality here is a hangover from Latin or Greek.

What do you call maths over there?

The Gardener

Reaction score
ali777 said:
We refer to it in the singular... math.

In other words, when we go to school, we study "math", and not "maths".

I suppose both words are shortened forms of "mathematics". Given that "mathematics" refers to a area of study, (similar to physics, or genetics), the "s" on the end does not necessarily imply that the noun "mathematics" is in plural form. I can very easily understand how the use of "math" or "maths" as an abbreviation could both have been derived.

Old Baldy

Reaction score
The Gardener said:
ali777 said:
We refer to it in the singular... math.

In other words, when we go to school, we study "math", and not "maths".

I suppose both words are shortened forms of "mathematics". Given that "mathematics" refers to a area of study, (similar to physics, or genetics), the "s" on the end does not necessarily imply that the noun "mathematics" is in plural form. I can very easily understand how the use of "math" or "maths" as an abbreviation could both have been derived.

I never thought of it like that. Makes more sense now. However, I still use "math".

At least I WON'T get whacked by Bryan!! :)