Yet another diet thread (& advice for slowing down hairloss)

TurboFixer

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
DKK1 and PGD2 are upregulated specifically by AR expression. The only diet that will prevent hair loss is one that lowers your testosterone, and increases your estrogen.

im sure you are right - but its also likely that eating stuff that your body finds inflammatory(really depends on the person) like milk/gluten/junk food/pufas hurts your hair; so its not illogical to make dietary changes that minimize any albeit small damage you could be doing to your hair via dietary intake

benjt2

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think a more manageable approach will be to do fasting. Fasting reduces inflammation pretty quickly. Maybe the fast where you eat one day normally (including red meats, dairy, etc.) And one day only water would benefit us the most.
It is worth trying but I personally think that just fasting is likely not enough to undo the total damage in inflammation and atherosclerosis that is generated from a normal diet. Take into account that there are different kinds of inflammation at play here - the one caused by hyperglycemia (mostly in various tissues) and the one caused by atherosclerosis (in our blood supply system and close by). Fasting brings down the first of these two but not the second, or at least not enough. Fasting may be beneficial in addition to big dietary changes though but I think the dietary changes are more important.

Also no one has ever concluded which comes first. DHT or inflammation? The general consensus is that DHT spikes, hits the receptor in the follicle, and creates inflammation. However, it's very likely the other way around. Eating a diet consisted of simple carbohydrates spikes insulin, creates inflammation and in order to mend this the body sends out DHT throughout the body, namely the skin & hair follicles.
Androgens are part of the sex-specific immune response. This is already well established in the literature. I also think there's a good chance that androgens are upstream and inflammation (at least the one that destroys our hair) is downstream. I once had found a paper about that but can't find it now...

Rudolphus

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My opinion is that diet plays a small role in male pattern baldness, but at the end of the day, male pattern baldness is mostly genetic. It is likely that a good diet can delay the onset of hair loss and slow its progression, and that a bad diet can trigger hair loss sooner and speed its progression. But if you have male pattern baldness in your genes, you're going to lose your hair at some point regardless of your diet. In order to treat hair loss effectively, it is necessary to use powerful synthetic drugs.

BetaBoy

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The idea that a diet could have anymore than a negligible effect on modulating the localised flood of AR expressed signalling proteins responsible for f*****g the follicle during catagen-anagen cycling like interleukin, tumour necrosing factor, and transforming growth factor when it takes powerful pharmacological interventions before a slowing can occur let alone cessation is the product of delusion.