Wrinkles at the hairline - what’s the cause?

JMC

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The first 2 units I had I never had any wrinkles, but they were also cut in at a salon. The 2 units I now have I had remotely cut in using a template that I mailed in to Debbie. These are both all lace units and I’m having the hardest time with the lace overlapping at the hairline. It happens some at the back at times as well but I don’t really care so much about it happening there.

What in the world am I doing wrong. I feel like it has to do with the template but I emailed Debbie and she said it’s probably because I need to stretch out the unit gently as I’m putting it on.

I just don’t understand how I didn’t have this issue with my first 2 units but I do each time with these.

Ideas?

Noah

Reaction score
Fundamentally it just means they're not as good a fit as your previous units. If they are stock units it can be just the vagaries of the manufacturing process. Usually wrinkles means your head has a more curved shape than the hairpiece, so there is excess fabric in the base. With lace pieces it's often caused by people yanking the base off before the alcohol has finished releasing the bond, and stretching/deforming the lace mesh. It doesn't sound like that in your case though.

I find you can usually fiddle about with the base to keep the wrinkles out of the hairline area and move them to the back of the piece, where they are less of an issue. But if you are feeling more creative and adventurous you could cut small darts in the base to take out the excess material. Have a look at what this guy does (warning: quite long):

JMC

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The video doesn’t show really how to do it, but it seems as if all you do is cut out a piece of lace to get rid of some excess and then use the tape to connect the two pieces together.

Is that what I’m understanding?

J_D_R

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The video doesn’t show really how to do it, but it seems as if all you do is cut out a piece of lace to get rid of some excess and then use the tape to connect the two pieces together.

Is that what I’m understanding?

It looks like he's cut out a small triangular dart at the front and back. Quite brave cutting it right in the centre of an exposed hairline!
If you're cutting into the lace, make sure you do it very carefully from the underside taking care not to cut through to the hair.

JMC

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I was wondering why he chose the very front middle. If I get brave and did it I would do it more on the side of the hairline. I’m scared!