Would You Put 15 Yr Old On Dutasteride?

NzinOz

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Ok, my sentence is still valid, puberty started his inheritance

Now, thanks to the Aussie Doctor stressing the importance of scalp fat, I believe it started at 14.5 years because he had a growth spurt and dropped to 30% underweight to height in July last year. With a lot of effort, we got him back to his normal 25% under, but I think the damage was done, his genes triggered his follicles. Together with him being in the age range of the 14-15 years, which I'm told is when Thymulin drops in the blood, his genetic distaste for DHT, I think he hit a perfect storm.

I've learnt a lot from the good guys on here in the past few days, you know who you are and you're great!

dr75

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Get his DHEAS levels checked. Very high dheas levels could easily trigger severe male pattern baldness in the genetically susceptible. Though it is rare, it could turn out to be congenital adrenal hyperplasia or a hormon secreting adrenal tumour. The latter is extremely rare so do not worry.

Finasteride has been used in children for the treatment of priapism in sickle cell disease. Its long term effects on fertility is currently unknown but it is relatively safer than dutasteride and i believe you should start with finasteride if you are going down that road.

If It was my decision, i wouldn't let my son take finasteride or dutasteride before 18-20.

Last edited:

sktboiboi

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
trolls be hating man, what you gonna do :D

hopefully she can find something to help her son and let us know how he gets on

for ur info, i started writing my 1st post here believing her/his story- as demonstrated by post #36

as the thread progresses and if NzinOz wasnt claiming to be the 'mother' of this '15yo' in subject,i would have thought that all the posts by her here- were coming from a nurse/doctor/persons with financial interests working to promote some product. all the thread starter's post up to post#50 was setting himself/herself up nicely with a nice background(take ur time and read through them)

post 51 onwards starts diving into subtle advertising.

Just read a'' her/his posts please- then a good laugh and realize everything here is just a long and cleverly-disguised advertisement.

We all know everyone here is a miserable balding dude- but balding doesnt makes us dumb(maybe it does for some lol).

Haha thanks.

Last edited:

Alphalete

My Regimen
Reaction score
@real kombo wondering why you aren't banned yet. recommending finasteride or DUTASTERIDE to a 15 year old???? pure madness. who gives a sh*t about low libido when you can potentially f*** up your growth forever

Alphalete

My Regimen
Reaction score
Sorry but I think you should either opt for minoxidil or go for a hairpiece.

You say your kid has autism, if finasteride. affects his brain you'll destroy him.

Hairpiece is much better of an option. NO sides. It'll cost you but it's worth it if you truly want him to be happy.

real kombo

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@real kombo wondering why you aren't banned yet. recommending finasteride or DUTASTERIDE to a 15 year old???? pure madness. who gives a sh*t about low libido when you can potentially f*** up your growth forever

Didn't f*** up my growth. Unlike most here, I care more about the kid's hair than the mom's feelings

Alphalete

My Regimen
Reaction score
Didn't f*** up my growth. Unlike most here, I care more about the kid's hair than the mom's feelings

moms feelings?? are you denying the fact that DHT is crucial during puberty? are we discussing rocket science here or what

Alphalete

My Regimen
Reaction score
@Real komodo im sure you're the only one here dumb enough to take finasteride at 16. instead of advocating for people to NOT do the same mistake as you did, you try to make them do the same sh*t.

also what is hair worth when youre fat as f***

inmyhead

Reaction score
for ur info, i started writing my 1st post here believing her/his story- as demonstrated by post #36

as the thread progresses and if NzinOz wasnt claiming to be the 'mother' of this '15yo' in subject,i would have thought that all the posts by her here- were coming from a nurse/doctor/persons with financial interests working to promote some product. all the thread starter's post up to post#50 was setting himself/herself up nicely with a nice background(take ur time and read through them)

post 51 onwards starts diving into subtle advertising.

Just read a'' her/his posts please- then a good laugh and realize everything here is just a long and cleverly-disguised advertisement.

We all know everyone here is a miserable balding dude- but balding doesnt makes us dumb(maybe it does for some lol).

Haha thanks.

someone with sense finally.

real kombo

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@Real komodo im sure you're the only one here dumb enough to take finasteride at 16. instead of advocating for people to NOT do the same mistake as you did, you try to make them do the same sh*t.

also what is hair worth when youre fat as f***

Except it wasn't a mistake. It was one of the best decisions I ever made, ignoring fear mongering bs from morons like you who want others to fail.

I'd love to see your norwood buddy. ;)

Alphalete

My Regimen
Reaction score
Except it wasn't a mistake. It was one of the best decisions I ever made, ignoring fear mongering bs from morons like you who want others to fail.

I'd love to see your norwood buddy. ;)

I'm nw1 ''buddy''. All I've taken is minoxidil. you need to understand that I RECOMMEND finasteride to people with male pattern baldness, but jesus christ this guy is 15. How is it fear mongering when the instructions say ''ONLY FOR 18 OR ABOVE'' ??

You took a risk at 16 or whenever it was you took it, and perhaps u havent experienced sides because you're out of puberty. have u thought about the fact that this guy stil might growing?

I wonder if you take care of your body as much as you do with your hair. jk, I already know the answer.

BalderBaldyBald

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm nw1 ''buddy''. All I've taken is minoxidil. you need to understand that I RECOMMEND finasteride to people with male pattern baldness, but jesus christ this guy is 15. How is it fear mongering when the instructions say ''ONLY FOR 18 OR ABOVE'' ??

You took a risk at 16 or whenever it was you took it, and perhaps u havent experienced sides because you're out of puberty. have u thought about the fact that this guy stil might growing?

I wonder if you take care of your body as much as you do with your hair. jk, I already know the answer.

Like 10th post saying the same thing, but people still recommend not finasteride, but DUTASTERIDE to a 15years old boy, this forum really is dead

Give it up "pal", you're wasting your time here

Make my hair great again

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi NzinOz,

I re-registered to reply to your post. Mainly based on some of the horrible things you have subjected to in the last 13 pages. I am happy for you that you have got some good advice.

I really feel for you, I have 2 little boys and think about their hair trajectory all the time. I started losing my hair at 18 and my mum brought me to every dermatologist in my country as I was losing my mind. I'm 37 now. I self prescribed - I started on Avodart the month it came out and regaine. I quickly started oral minoxidil and oral spironolactone and even bought tamoxifen (breast cancer drug) to counter act the anti androgens at the time. My point is that young boys do desperate things in time of stress.

I still take Avodart and think it is a fantastic drug but I really think it would be mad to give it to a 15 year old. There is just too much going on with hormones at that point. I would wait until at least 18.

In my view, get all tests done by a reputable dermatologist. Ensure there is not something underlying. Then, possibly minoxidil (2%) and nizoral. I really dont think you have too many other options at this point.

I wish you all the best.

NzinOz

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi NzinOz,

I re-registered to reply to your post. ...

Thank you so much for the effort and advice. I really appreciate the wealth of personal experience that has been shared here with me.

We've managed to register with a new GP and his receptionist assures us that he will be empathetic and receptive to our efforts to ensure all bases are covered in making sure male pattern baldness alone is the cause of this hell.

I know what it is like to ponder the future of your child everyday of their life. My child was dealt unfortunate cards in so many ways, but he remains perfection itself. A person who would never do or say a single mean thing to anyone, and someone I am immensely proud of.

Your own boys will be fine. There will be help for them, without extreme measures, should the genetic curse of male pattern baldness strike them. Dr Vickers has made a natural topical solution because it is not subject to the prohibitive expensive riggers of approvals an oral option would be, although he is sure an oral option would be even more effective. I am confident once his topical product takes-off the funding will be on offer to him to develop anything he desires.

Your young children will not suffer the way so many young men here have. Time is on their side. And, if the fate of developments does not run as predicted, they have a Dad who supports them and stands beside them in life.

Thanks for acknowledging the crap I've been subjected to here. It's been phenomenal. I was contacted and told it is tradition to troll newbies etc. I joined weeks before I posted, when the big hair drop occured, but I couldn't bring myself to even read through the forum, I felt I was invading privacy. I was accutely aware this is a boys club and a women here would be unwelcome.

My husband would not and has not spent one-minute on researching this subject. He's just not the pro-active type. When my son came home with this drug I felt I had no option but to launch in and ask the question. I had no idea there were sections and just fired it out. It took guts. And I am sure I am not the only newbie to find posting an OP overwhelming. Some of the men on here need reminding this is a support/help forum and their intimadating attitudes have the ability to cause real pain and hurt to young men in distress. It's the good guys who have kept me here, the personal and public messages of encouragement and information. After all, it is what this forum is about.

Alphalete

My Regimen
Reaction score
Like 10th post saying the same thing, but people still recommend not finasteride, but DUTASTERIDE to a 15years old boy, this forum really is dead

Give it up "pal", you're wasting your time here

yep. I know that hairloss is like a death sentence but considering the guy is already autistic AND he's just 15 there's nooo way he should be on it. atleast wait til 18...

Dolph

Established Member
Reaction score
Do not put a child on finasteride or dutasteride. If you think he has it bad balding so early, wait til he's unable to function sexually, grows breasts, has violent mood swings, etc. Risking one's health for hair is unhealthy at any age, but for a developing child what you're suggesting is a mild chemical castration. Give up now and both you and your son will get through the various stages of grief that much faster. Maybe look into a psychologist.

RoyMunsonned

My Regimen
Reaction score
The 15 year old who gets on dutasteride will never know whether his penis could've been bigger. I'd wait until that age at a minimum. Especially when it appears that a 15 year old will see a proper solution to this while he's still young.