Would you date a girl with hair loss?

Hans Gruber

Reaction score
if she was hot or sweet or funny or smart then yea of course!

s.a.f

Reaction score
Nathaniel said:
s.a.f said:
I think people have sympathy for women wearing a wig because of hairloss, but for a man its deemed as pathetic.

I think this is the key here. I wish I could wear a piece and not get criticized, hell, thats the sole reason why I will never consider a wig. Who cares, wear the piece, like it was mentioned you can have it sectioned just for your problem area. Like I said, grooming and taking care of yourself is the key.

Shame its not like the 17th century where every nobleman wore a wig regardless of hairloss or not. :mrgreen: (Although they were ridiculous looking big curly white things).

ghg

My Regimen
Reaction score
Nathaniel said:
s.a.f said:
I think people have sympathy for women wearing a wig because of hairloss, but for a man its deemed as pathetic.

I think this is the key here. I wish I could wear a piece and not get criticized, hell, thats the sole reason why I will never consider a wig. Who cares, wear the piece, like it was mentioned you can have it sectioned just for your problem area. Like I said, grooming and taking care of yourself is the key.

I probably couldn't wear a wig even if I knew that no one would notice it... I have some kinda phobia of many things and gluing things onto my scalp is one of them. It just wouldn't feel right.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Its funny I hate anything 'unnatural' when I was younger I could never even put gel in my hair or put on sun screen. But now here I am having had numerous hair transplant's and everyday wearing concealers, wish I did'nt have to do it but its all due to desperation. :(

ghg

My Regimen
Reaction score
s.a.f said:
Its funny I hate anything 'unnatural' when I was younger I could never even put gel in my hair or put on sun screen. But now here I am having had numerous hair transplant's and everyday wearing concealers, wish I did'nt have to do it but its all due to desperation. :(

What do you fear most about balding then? In other words, why are you so desperate to hide it?

s.a.f

Reaction score
I guess I feel the same as everyone else it just does'nt look good it makes you look older and less attractive. And that in turn often makes you feel depressed overall.
I did'nt want to be a young man looking like an old man just because of my hair. Plus since it happened to me at an early age I stood out from the vast majority of guys my age in a negative way, also I really got some stick from my peers about it so I guess it all comes down to insecurity. :dunno:

malibujoe

Established Member
Reaction score
s.a.f said:
I guess I feel the same as everyone else it just does'nt look good it makes you look older and less attractive. And that in turn often makes you feel depressed overall.
I did'nt want to be a young man looking like an old man just because of my hair. Plus since it happened to me at an early age I stood out from the vast majority of guys my age in a negative way, also I really got some stick from my peers about it so I guess it all comes down to insecurity. :dunno:

funny..this wknd while partying, one of the guys said "you know, aside from your hair thinning u still look 18". i'm 32 yo. i get that a lot..'wow, u look so young' . i joked back and said yeah...im the guy ppl are looking at and think 'look at that poor sap, balding at the young age of 18'. than when they find out im 32 they're like 'NO WAY!'

s.a.f

Reaction score
I'm 33 and even with visible hairloss people think I'm about 25, makes me wonder if I did'nt have any m.p.b. :dunno:

malibujoe

Established Member
Reaction score
s.a.f said:
I'm 33 and even with visible hairloss people think I'm about 25, makes me wonder if I did'nt have any m.p.b. :dunno:

so earlier post u said it makes u look older....now ur saying u get the 'u look 25' comment.

so, why are u trying to hide male pattern baldness again? it doesn't make u look older. do u feel less attractive. do u have real pics of ur hair posted?

s.a.f

Reaction score
malibujoe said:
s.a.f said:
so earlier post u said it makes u look older....now ur saying u get the 'u look 25' comment.
so, why are u trying to hide male pattern baldness again? it doesn't make u look older. do u feel less attractive. do u have real pics of ur hair posted?

No I have a young babyish looking face my skin is very childlike. When I was about 20 I looked about 16 which was a pain in the arse at the time, but obviously years later when I was totally bald people knew that I must have been older than my face suggests, either that or they thought that I had the worst case of being bald at a young age ever.
From behind I looked like an old man because of the horseshoe.
Now I'm no longer totally bald but my hair is very thin with high hairline and balding crown.
We all know that guys who have hair that could belong to a teenager eg Brad Pitt look much younger because of it. So if I had that kind of hair with my young looking face aswell it would be great. Having transplants has klnocked years off my appearance thats just the transformation from having no hair to having some hair. But if I could get the full head of hair back then it would be even better.

malibujoe

Established Member
Reaction score
s.a.f said:
malibujoe said:
[quote="s.a.f":1hybqbv1]I'm 33 and even with visible hairloss people think I'm about 25, makes me wonder if I did'nt have any m.p.b. :dunno:

No I have a young babyish looking face my skin is very childlike. When I was about 20 I looked about 16 which was a pain in the arse at the time, but obviously years later when I was totally bald people knew that I must have been older than my face suggests, either that or they thought that I had the worst case of being bald at a young age ever.
From behind I looked like an old man because of the horseshoe.
Now I'm no longer totally bald but my hair is very thin with high hairline and balding crown.
We all know that guys who have hair that could belong to a teenager eg Brad Pitt look much younger because of it. So if I had that kind of hair with my young looking face aswell it would be great. Having transplants has klnocked years off my appearance thats just the transformation from having no hair to having some hair. But if I could get the full head of hair back then it would be even better.[/quote:1hybqbv1]

so do u have a pic of your current hair posted somewhere on this site? would love to see. here's mine...it's very whispy and looks like sh*t. have to wear it dry. will be buzzing as soon as sun comes out.

Attachments

• hair.GIF
    hair.GIF
    21.5 KB · Views: 614

s.a.f

Reaction score
I have less than half as much hair as you. Count yourself lucky.

reverie

Reaction score
Hey IBM and everyone, I'm still around. Just insanely busy lately.

Thanks to everyone who responded. Really appreciate the feedback. I was aware some of it would be unfavorable and I am ok with that.

Good news is the guy and I are getting to be friends. We're both studying for the Bar so not much time to talk.

Bad news is I asked my best friend back from the military to take objective inventory of my loss compared to a year ago. I was expecting him to say my crown and sides are thinner (which he did say) but then he went on to say the worst part is my temples and to never part my hair on the side again. I don't have any other way to conceal my crown loss than a deep side part. I already had natural (pre-loss) NW1-1.5 temples the exact template of my dad's, and now they are a NW2 or 2.5?, I'm not sure. Makes sense, because my scalp pains are everywhere including burning at my temples. I guess I have a mix of male pattern baldness and FPB. My friend has no hair loss and says my temples are completely visibly "M-shaped" and to middle part it to cover it up.

But the biggest detractor right now? I have a lot of (black) facial hair (from the Rogaine) to take care of. I have terrible eyesight, so I didn't know it was THAT obvious. Ughh. Who knows how long I've been walking around with beard and moustache (and how many people have noticed).

If something's going to materialize, I sure hope this guy is understanding because my dear honest friend made me sound like an aesthetic train wreck...if not, I hope the next guy is, if there is a next guy.

IBM

Reaction score
I'm glad to hear that you're around and busy with studies. I'm also happy that you're working hard with objectives in mind and battling against your hairloss.

reverie

Reaction score
Just had a surreal experience. In the middle of talking about some exam and career stuff, all of a sudden right in the middle of "I want to go into real estate on the side after I set up my criminal defense practice" the guy in question (not meaning to think aloud) blurted out "maybe by then I'll have some hair." My entire world froze, thinking to what great lengths I took to cover my thinning hair and to no avail. Did he notice? Was that a thinly-veiled attempt to figure out what is going on with the moth eaten patches on my head and my gapped part and man temples? I don't know, but I sure know tons more about hair loss than he did and I'm sure he thinks something is up after I blurted out a string of "Did you try this, did you try that, you know there's something you can do about that, etc" questions. He said he started losing at 19, he is 24 now, and it really really really bothered him. I think we were both really embarrassed (for different reasons) after that. He showed me a video of stem cell research for hair.

I honestly did not know it affected some men so much until I started losing and came here for help and info. I told him I understand it really hurts when you lose so young but that it FAR from defines a man. All I could offer after regaining my composure was for most women it really does not matter. I hope he took it to heart, since he's obviously still having some trouble with it (even though he's obviously accepted it, having shaved his head). I came really close to telling him about my own hair but couldn't/didn't, I'd probably lose it and cry.