Wondering If It’s Time To Start Minoxidil

CrownBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
Some of you know me from my original posts. I’ve been on finasteride for about 3.5 months and I’m well below baseline. My crown is forming a considerable bald spot and I’m diffusing throughout. I believe my shedding has gone down a bit, my shower hairs went from 50+ to under 20, but I still see a minituarized hair or two falling when I mess with my hair (which kind of became a habit).

I’m thinking it’s time to start my next line of treatment because I’m desperately holding onto some hope of at least some regrowth and I haven’t even tried the next line of defense.

I’ve also added dermarolling this week, and I know the two are synergistic. I hold onto some hope that the two can maybe fill in my crown a bit.

I don’t mind applying it once or twice a day for the rest of my life if it yields some results, my main concern is the dreaded shedding. From what I’ve heard, my hair can get decimated in a matter of weeks and I’m already at a place where I need to use concealer.

Should I start it up? Is there a chance that the minoxidil+dermaroller can fill in this nasty crown/diffusing areas?

I’ll attach pics, both mirror pics were taken within a few days of each other, with longer hair the angle matters a lot lol.

Let me know your thoughts, thanks.

Attachments

• 4A8E6A82-196D-49EC-817B-F736AA400CFF.png
    4A8E6A82-196D-49EC-817B-F736AA400CFF.png
    506.7 KB · Views: 331
  • 5DC0CEED-641A-4B22-87C3-3BEC70C5952C.jpeg
    5DC0CEED-641A-4B22-87C3-3BEC70C5952C.jpeg
    68.2 KB · Views: 331
  • 72322849-69A7-4DA6-AE7F-23B01CC866FC.jpeg
    72322849-69A7-4DA6-AE7F-23B01CC866FC.jpeg
    67 KB · Views: 328
  • BAA91148-C44A-4706-B42C-1757C8D04145.jpeg
    BAA91148-C44A-4706-B42C-1757C8D04145.jpeg
    68.3 KB · Views: 333

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
I wouldn't start minoxidil yet, especially since you say your shedding is decreasing.. Adding in minoxidil at this stage of the game will almost certainly reveal your hair loss to everyone, the shed shows no mercy. Wait until AT LEAST 6 months of treatment before adding in minoxidil. I personally waited over a year before I began using it.

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah i would say wait for a year, i don't take my own advice though! lol i hopped on oral minoxidil and im only 7/8 months into finasteride, but im below baseline and can't stand seeing my crown so bad and top diffusing, but i really should have waited another 5 months or so before starting minoxidil. Perhaps even switched to dutasteride and gave that a year as well before switching to minoxidil. I think the most rational option is to give it a year, but when it comes to this horrible disease it's sometimes hard to think rationally. Your crown is in much better shape than mine currently is though.

CrownBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
I wouldn't start minoxidil yet, especially since you say your shedding is decreasing.. Adding in minoxidil at this stage of the game will almost certainly reveal your hair loss to everyone, the shed shows no mercy. Wait until AT LEAST 6 months of treatment before adding in minoxidil. I personally waited over a year before I began using it.
Good point. I have an Arsenal in my bathroom but I only applied it once one night when I was drunk. Unfortunately I think my hair loss has been revealed. Toppik helps but my zero density and painted scalp has got to be suspect even to an untrained eye :(. I’m just apprehensive about waiting because I’m worried about giving it too much time and permanently losing anything that I could get back with the minoxidil.
EDIT: What other justification is there to wait Andy? My hair is fucked now, and every time someone comes in here everyone tells the guy to hop on the big 3. I should’ve done that from the start imo.
Yeah i would say wait for a year, i don't take my own advice though! lol i hopped on oral minoxidil and im only 7/8 months into finasteride, but im below baseline and can't stand seeing my crown so bad and top diffusing, but i really should have waited another 5 months or so before starting minoxidil. Perhaps even switched to dutasteride and gave that a year as well before switching to minoxidil. I think the most rational option is to give it a year, but when it comes to this horrible disease it's sometimes hard to think rationally. Your crown is in much better shape than mine currently is though.
Have you seen any results with the minoxidil? How was your shed? I know what you mean about watching your hair get worse. It seems every week I’m worse off. Ugh

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have only just started it so i can't say, but im feeling positive about it, just washed my hair with nizoral and lost a ton of hair though. There are lots of stories about people getting great regrowth with just an AA, minoxidil should be an optional product to use if you are not a good responder and can simply maintain using an AA, that is why it's best to give it a year, minoxidil might not be necessary. Again, i don't think your hair is as bad as you think, compared to mine at least. Give it a year with finasteride then start thinking about minoxidil or possibly even dutasteride.

Last edited:

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Good point. I have an Arsenal in my bathroom but I only applied it once one night when I was drunk. Unfortunately I think my hair loss has been revealed. Toppik helps but my zero density and painted scalp has got to be suspect even to an untrained eye :(. I’m just apprehensive about waiting because I’m worried about giving it too much time and permanently losing anything that I could get back with the minoxidil.
EDIT: What other justification is there to wait Andy? My hair is fucked now, and every time someone comes in here everyone tells the guy to hop on the big 3. I should’ve done that from the start imo.

Have you seen any results with the minoxidil? How was your shed? I know what you mean about watching your hair get worse. It seems every week I’m worse off. Ugh
I think you ( like myself ) over exaggerate your hair loss, from the pics you've provided sure there is some thinning, but it looks like a double crown more than anything to the untrained eye. The justification to waiting is by doing so you will actually know what works and what doesn't.. If someone was to let's say start finasteride and minoxidil at the same time they would have no idea what is working best, or if one treatment is working and another isn't. Its very important to know how each treatment works for you, and finasteride takes the longest of the two to show results.

CrownBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
I woke up recently, haven’t showered yet. Rubbed my head aggressively over the sink for about 30 seconds to a minute and got about 10 thin hairs. How bad would you guys consider that?

CrownBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think you ( like myself ) over exaggerate your hair loss, from the pics you've provided sure there is some thinning, but it looks like a double crown more than anything to the untrained eye. The justification to waiting is by doing so you will actually know what works and what doesn't.. If someone was to let's say start finasteride and minoxidil at the same time they would have no idea what is working best, or if one treatment is working and another isn't. Its very important to know how each treatment works for you, and finasteride takes the longest of the two to show results.
You’re a good guy Andy. My family and friends have told me I’m exaggerating my hair loss, but they’re family and friends, so I can’t fully trust what they say. I’ve seen you be brutally honest with some people here, so I can take your word for it.

reuters

Established Member
Reaction score
I would start with it at once, why wait and why not get maximum effect as soon as possible?

You are active on this forum for one reason (like sall of us) your hairloss is bothering you and you want to get rid of it.

Your shedding might make it visable for a month or two, but once your hair regrow, it comes back stronger and better.

Minoxidil is a perfect complement to Finasteride and it wont take you more than 2 minutes/day to apply it, you will most likely get rid of the small visable part on your crown, that will get your confidence back and make you feel better.

You will not need to use it for the rest of your life, research is moving forward and give it ten years and you might be able to get a different long lasting solution.

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
You’re a good guy Andy. My family and friends have told me I’m exaggerating my hair loss, but they’re family and friends, so I can’t fully trust what they say. I’ve seen you be brutally honest with some people here, so I can take your word for it.

I think your family are being truthful, your hair loss is not all that bad, you are lucky you are on treatments and caught it in time, that is something most people wish they had done, started earlier, i didn't start before it was too late.

CrownBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
I would start with it at once, why wait and why not get maximum effect as soon as possible?

You are active on this forum for one reason (like sall of us) your hairloss is bothering you and you want to get rid of it.

Your shedding might make it visable for a month or two, but once your hair regrow, it comes back stronger and better.

Minoxidil is a perfect complement to Finasteride and it wont take you more than 2 minutes/day to apply it, you will most likely get rid of the small visable part on your crown, that will get your confidence back and make you feel better.

You will not need to use it for the rest of your life, research is moving forward and give it ten years and you might be able to get a different long lasting solution.
Another good point. My main worry is the fact that I’m still continually losing ground. As I said, my shower count has decreased by more than half, but I still see minituarized hairs on my shirt throughout the day. I’m on the fence every day with starting or not. But as Andy and you described, the shed may prove to be devastating. Since I’m only 3.5 months on finasteride and (I think) my shedding is decreasing. I may get some slight regrowth around the corner before I even add min?

My ultimate goal would be to stabilize on finasteride and then add the minoxidil that way I wouldn’t have my shed could be limited somewhat. I’m not sure if I can consider myself stabilized yet.

I would like to hear opinions on my question above. Rubbing my head aggressively for about 30 seconds to a minute and getting about 10 hairs, is that still substantial shedding?

Also 3/4 of my shedded hairs are short, thin, and measly. Is it better to be shedding these minituarized hairs rather than the longer ones? Or does it prove I’m still minituarizing hard and mean finasteride isn’t working?

Thanks guys.

CrownBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think your family are being truthful, your hair loss is not all that bad, you are lucky you are on treatments and caught it in time, that is something most people wish they had done, started earlier, i didn't start before it was too late.
Thanks man, I appreciate the honesty. I really need brutal honesty from you guys because I can’t trust the people around me.

At the same token, you guys have to understand what an asset longer hair is to a diffuser. I’ll attach a pic of my greasy hair after wearing a hat all day and sweating, pulling it to the side. I cringe looking at this pic, and there’s no way my hair ever looks like this when I go out, but I believe it shows the severity of the diffusing.

Only way to find out would be to go for a short cut. And there’s no f*****g way I’m doing that lol

Attachments

• D94721BD-921B-4011-8080-A00FF815C54A.jpeg
    D94721BD-921B-4011-8080-A00FF815C54A.jpeg
    87.5 KB · Views: 202

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks man, I appreciate the honesty. I really need brutal honesty from you guys because I can’t trust the people around me.

At the same token, you guys have to understand what an asset longer hair is to a diffuser. I’ll attach a pic of my greasy hair after wearing a hat all day and sweating, pulling it to the side. I cringe looking at this pic, and there’s no way my hair ever looks like this when I go out, but I believe it shows the severity of the diffusing.

Only way to find out would be to go for a short cut. And there’s no f*****g way I’m doing that lol

Yeah your hair looks worse in that pic, how is your scalp health in general? are using nizoral? do you experience any itch where you are losing hair? Hair recovery is a long process, you could just say f*** it and go all out and get yourself on dutasteride and hope you don't get sides, with 95+% of DHT being reduced you should definitely be able to maintain your hair and not worry. Finasteride of course has more studies backing it. I just bought 30x dutasteride to try, i already get low libido with finasteride so im not sure how i will react but im determined to do everything i can to hold on to the hair i have left.

CrownBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah it looks worse in that pic, how is your scalp health in general? are using nizoral? do you experience any itch where you are losing hair? Hair recovery is a long process, you could just say f*** it and go all out, get yourself on dutasteride and hope you don't get sides, with 95+% of DHT being reduced you should definitely be able to maintain and not worry. Finasteride of course has more studies backing it.
I was using nizoral, but I noticed I’d leave it in my hair for a few minutes and my head would itch. I’m not sure if that was a good sign so I slowed up on it.

I get a slightly sore/burning scalp in the mornings and nights. It’s not bad, and if I didn’t know it was related to hair loss I wouldn’t notice it. I also get a slight itch here and there, but again, nothing crazy. My scalp is pretty red though, especially in the crown.

I was thinking about applying hydrocortisone or another anti inflammatory as I’ve heard that has some good benefits if your hair loss is due to inflammation.

I would’ve hopped on dutasteride but I’m a bit worried because I’ve had some slight gyno (puffy nipples) since puberty and it’s always sucked. I don’t want to make it worse.

Unlucky93

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Too early for minoxidil in my opinion.

If I was you I'd cut my hair a little shorter which will drastically reduce the appearance of your crown (at least it did for me). You'd have to cut your hair shorter anyway if you was to start minoxidil and wanted to apply it properly.

CrownBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
Too early for minoxidil in my opinion.

If I was you I'd cut my hair a little shorter which will drastically reduce the appearance of your crown (at least it did for me). You'd have to cut your hair shorter anyway if you was to start minoxidil and wanted to apply it properly.
I’m diffusing pretty badly, I think if I cut my hair short it’ll definitely accentuate my crown. I manage to get by, hopefully, with toppik and some hairspray lol

Attachments

• 115871FE-BD5F-4837-BB6B-C75AB7F9105A.jpeg
    115871FE-BD5F-4837-BB6B-C75AB7F9105A.jpeg
    49.3 KB · Views: 201
  • E721D5F7-A770-4C6D-8231-492230B1DEA6.jpeg
    E721D5F7-A770-4C6D-8231-492230B1DEA6.jpeg
    55.5 KB · Views: 204

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
I’m diffusing pretty badly, I think if I cut my hair short it’ll definitely accentuate my crown. I manage to get by, hopefully, with toppik and some hairspray lol

That first pic your hair with toppik? looks natural and great, i don't hair use fibres myself although i probably should be. If that is your hair without toppik then you definitely have nothing much to worry about. Stick with finasteride.

Unlucky93

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Doesn't look like you're diffuse thinning badly from those pics lol. Light just goes straight through your hair, just like mine.

Pic 1 longer
Pic 2 shorter

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180921-153148_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20180921-153148_Gallery.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 199
  • Screenshot_20180921-153158_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20180921-153158_Gallery.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 199

CrownBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
That your hair with toppik? looks natural and great, i don't hair use fibres myself although i probably should be. If that is your hair without toppik then you definitely have nothing much to worry about. Stick with finasteride.
That’s toppik lol. I apply it only in the crown and vertex. Toppik is a f*****g life saver man. I highly recommend it. Without it I would 100% be a hat prisoner. The only issue is I believe it looks a lot bette when I first apply it. After a few hours I start to see some scalp and it looks a bit painted. I don’t get the issue with fibers falling all over pillows etc. like some people mention. I also attribute the fact that it doesn’t seem to last to the fact that my hair is longer and moves around a lot.
Doesn't look like you're diffuse thinning badly from those pics lol. Light just goes straight through your hair, just like mine.

Pic 1 longer
Pic 2 shorter
I appreciate the feedback, you’ve seen the greasy pic? That doesn’t look like extreme diffusing to you? I can see scalp in random spots when I wake up and my hair is greasy like these pics. That’s pretty diffused imo.

EDIT: Your hair looks great btw.

Attachments

• 2A920827-30F9-4433-AC8C-AD5F55D1FE03.jpeg
    2A920827-30F9-4433-AC8C-AD5F55D1FE03.jpeg
    74.4 KB · Views: 188
  • F5C3DA68-7432-4C67-9A1A-47724EBD5D34.jpeg
    F5C3DA68-7432-4C67-9A1A-47724EBD5D34.jpeg
    75.1 KB · Views: 167
  • 1571264C-59FA-416C-ADA2-265527CE3E42.jpeg
    1571264C-59FA-416C-ADA2-265527CE3E42.jpeg
    60.8 KB · Views: 201

Unlucky93

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Toppik is a f*****g life saver man. I highly recommend it. Without it I would 100% be a hat prisoner. The only issue is I believe it looks a lot bette when I first apply it. After a few hours I start to see some scalp and it looks a bit painted. I don’t get the issue with fibers falling all over pillows etc. like some people mention. I also attribute the fact that it doesn’t seem to last to the fact that my hair is longer and moves around a lot.

I appreciate the feedback, you’ve seen the greasy pic? That doesn’t look like extreme diffusing to you? I can see scalp in random spots when I wake up and my hair is greasy like these pics. That’s pretty diffused imo.

EDIT: Your hair looks great btw.
Just looks like a guy with light, fine hair that clumps together when greasy xD... Even if you are thinning, which I doubt, there's definitely nothing 'extreme' like you say