Women about to start using Propecia

iloveeshoes

Reaction score
I know there is a women's forum, but in my opinion it is not as active or informative as the male forum. I feel like men have more knowledge about pattern baldness (Androgenetic Alopecia), which is what I have. I'm 50 (beyond child bearing age obviously) and this is my last resort. I'm using Rogaine Foam for men 5% once a day and it has helped to regrow some of my hair at the temple and hairline but it has caused problem with my skin. I have enlarged pores and fine lines so I want to get off of it because I can't take what it's doing to my skin. Has anybody use Propecia / Finasteride without using Rogaine and noticed any pre-mature aging issues (fine lines, wrinkles, rough skin, etc.). I have been given a prescription for 1 year for Propecia since am not about to have any children, there is info out there, that it has helped some women in blocking dht activity successfully.

Thank you in advance for all your help. Propecia is the last stop before I just give up and get a wig.

MsMetamorphose

Reaction score
Hi Iloveshoes,

Im afraid i cant be of any help but didnt want your message to go unanswered (i know how that feels - awful, when you're desperately searching for any help or advice from someone who understands hairloss and meds more than you. I still have no replies to my 1st posts, and im desperate too, so wanted to reach out and say you're not alone).

Im also interested about what meds i can take as a woman without experiencing nasty side effects.

Can women take oral finasteride, dutasteride or spironolactone ?

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Women can take spironolactone orally. You can acquire this through your dermatologist or GP after a discussion on hair loss. Finasteride and Dutasteride are not safe for women who are seeking to have children. It can cause birth defects in a male fetus genitals. However post menopausal women or women carefully being monitored by their doctors while not seeking to have children may take these meds.

MsMetamorphose

Reaction score
Thankyou Admin.

After some more Google research ive learned that finasteride & dutasteride are prone to causing weight gain in women, due to a likely increase in estrogen, that wouldnt be an option for me! (Excess weight gain on top of unexplained severe hairloss is too much for me to take right now!)

Does anyone here take spironolactone with good results? - Are the side effects of Aldactone less troublesome than finasteride/dutasteride? xxx

evasoo

Reaction score
Hello

I agree with you iloveeshoes Men´s forums are really informatives. There I´ve found the cause of my really bad skin. And I ´m completely sure MINOXIDIL ( Rogaine) has the Fault.
I´m 41 years old . In my family all of us usually have very good skin. My whole life ,people always told me I didn´t look my age
I started Minoxidil 2%. I have to say that I was using in one apliccation (at night) like 2 or 3 times more than the recomended dose. I started in 2010 ,and left it in 2014, when I began to think than minoxidil could be the cause of my ; pore enlarged, bad skin colour, dark circles, dry skin, wrinkles, loss of subcutaneous fat ( baby fat) and althought I´m a healthy woman, looking always as a tired or sick person.
My mum (73) Used only for one year , and she ´s got skin atrophy. A lot of wrinkles in the whole face. And she used to have a really good skin.
When I started to think that minoxidil had caused this, I began to research throught internet.
I´ve read quite a lot testimonyies in Men´s forum, about bad skin side effects , you just have to write in the search button: Minoxidil and wrinkles, and read some of the related posts.
This side effect will only happen to a % people fortunately. But when happen to you it´s a really hard time.

Minoxidil is an inhibitor of lysyl hydroxylase, an enzyme involved in collagen production, and decreases collagen production in vitro.

You can read the studie here:

http://www.jbc.org/content/262/25/11973.short