With 2018 Rolling Around - What's There To Look Forward To?

tjnpdx

Banned
Reaction score
Perhaps you misinterpreted the thread, which is then your fault not anyone else's. The OP says if there is anything such as human trials or research developments to look forward to in 2018. Never said anything about a "cure", or any treatment for that matter, coming out.

Perhaps you misinterpreted my post: I didn’t say anything about a cure, or any treatment for that matter. Let me know if you need further assistance, c***. (With <3)

inland

Established Member
Reaction score
I remember when 1989 was the year, and my friends' dads were raving about rogaine. I remember when 1997 was the year when propecia passed clinical trials. I remember when 2007 was the year, and everyone was going crazy for RU. Then all the hope for JAK, saw p, keto, topical finasteride, copper, retinol, revivogen, etc etc etc etc. All they can do is pause or slow the process. It is inevitable that they will stop working and loss will resume. Having some of the best results from the big 3 myself, all I can honestly say is that I have just pushed things back 10 years. I just can't believe all this time has gone by and we are still in the same boat. Not trying to be negative here, I just believe there are only 2 options right now: accept the inevitable... bald guys are voted sexist man alive all the time. Or get FUE (if you're mild/moderate) and try to maintain everything else. Hair cloning is very close, and I think is the best we will get.

razzmatazz91

My Regimen
Reaction score
I remember when 1989 was the year, and my friends' dads were raving about rogaine. I remember when 1997 was the year when propecia passed clinical trials. I remember when 2007 was the year, and everyone was going crazy for RU. Then all the hope for JAK, saw p, keto, topical finasteride, copper, retinol, revivogen, etc etc etc etc. All they can do is pause or slow the process. It is inevitable that they will stop working and loss will resume. Having some of the best results from the big 3 myself, all I can honestly say is that I have just pushed things back 10 years. I just can't believe all this time has gone by and we are still in the same boat. Not trying to be negative here, I just believe there are only 2 options right now: accept the inevitable... bald guys are voted sexist man alive all the time. Or get FUE (if you're mild/moderate) and try to maintain everything else. Hair cloning is very close, and I think is the best we will get.

Yup. At the moment, all we can do is maintain. some lucky guys get regrowth.
But Hair Cloning/Multiplication is a pretty big deal.

Recon_s

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Looking forward to more dumb as threads of whats there to look forward to or what treatment is coming out next...If you look there is a nice thread created with a timeline of when the next "thing to look forward to" is coming out

abcdefg

Reaction score

Yeah this is pretty much the truth near term like the next couple years. I think propecia and dutasteride in some men though can stop male pattern baldness for 10 years or even longer. Id suspect there are guys out there that kept most of their hair for 15 to 20 years on it.
If we got something new that is as good as propecia would be incredible to able to stack 2 different things might be enough to stop male pattern baldness forever. We lack the AR antagonist like an RU but a real official approved safe one.
IMO 2018-2019 will be exactly like today. More snake oils, and things which lack evidence as people hunt for non existent solutions. My advice is use current treatments if you havent already its going to be a long wait.

dermrafok

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah this is pretty much the truth near term like the next couple years. I think propecia and dutasteride in some men though can stop male pattern baldness for 10 years or even longer. Id suspect there are guys out there that kept most of their hair for 15 to 20 years on it.
If we got something new that is as good as propecia would be incredible to able to stack 2 different things might be enough to stop male pattern baldness forever. We lack the AR antagonist like an RU but a real official approved safe one.
IMO 2018-2019 will be exactly like today. More snake oils, and things which lack evidence as people hunt for non existent solutions. My advice is use current treatments if you havent already its going to be a long wait.
Current treatments don't work for all...have poor results, side effects, daily application, shedding. The demand for new treatments is HUGE. And Skin Telogen Effluvium is in the market. That's a good start.

ainsley_harriott

My Regimen
Reaction score
Why are so many members on this forum hostile when someone asks a question which may have been answered in another thread? Newbies are allowed to come on this forum and ask a question. A lot of people on this forum are very knowledgeable about all the upcoming treatments and some have advanced scientific knowledge but please don't expect us all to be at that level. If the question has already been answered why not supply a link to the thread instead of constantly biting peoples heads off. I've been on this forum since 2006 (lost password of an old account) and I'm tired of the constant hostility to newbies.

dermrafok

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Why are so many members on this forum hostile when someone asks a question which may have been answered in another thread? Newbies are allowed to come on this forum and ask a question. A lot of people on this forum are very knowledgeable about all the upcoming treatments and some have advanced scientific knowledge but please don't expect us all to be at that level. If the question has already be answered why not supply a link to the thread instead of constantly biting peoples heads off. I've been on this forum since 2006 (lost password of an old account) and I'm tired of the constant hostility to newbies.
Yes. The real answer is this: There will be new treatments for androgenetic alopecia in 2018/2019.

Frankthetank

Reaction score
If any sort of sideless maintenance treatment comes in the next 2 years that will make most people very happy.

Even if you're a Norwood 3-4 by then, if theres a treatment where you KNOW that your hairloss will stop at that current level that will help a lot. The stress of not knowing how bad/how quickly hairloss is going to progress is one of the worst parts of all this. I'd be happy with what I have today if i KNEW it wasn't going to change. I can live with it. But now knowing how finasteride will hold up in the coming years is a constant cause of stress for me. It would help anyone who still has some hair up top- opens up transplant options when people would otherwise hesitate because of future loss/bad aesthetic 5-10 years down the line.

Pavi

My Regimen
Reaction score
I’m more optimistic. I’m mentally drained about this. I feel like a robot. I put rogaine on twice a day every day and I’m sick of it. I really do think sheseido will produce solid maintenance. I hope at least. This sh*t has turned me from a dude that went out/got girls with ease to a social recluse. I hate this, guys. I find some solace knowing you all are going through this with me at a young age. I am 22. I feel 42. :(

yetti

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I’m more optimistic. I’m mentally drained about this. I feel like a robot. I put rogaine on twice a day every day and I’m sick of it. I really do think sheseido will produce solid maintenance. I hope at least. This sh*t has turned me from a dude that went out/got girls with ease to a social recluse. I hate this, guys. I find some solace knowing you all are going through this with me at a young age. I am 22. I feel 42. :(

No reason for that, you have tons of hair. Go be social. :D

itsAlright

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm really excited for a few things in particular:
  • JAK Trials- Yes, it has not been confirmed that JAK will work on Androgenetic Alopecia, but with the dramatic results that AA patients had, if it does work, this is effectively a cure (as long as you keep using the topical and this doesn't cause bad sides). I'm assuming that Dr. Angela Christiano knows what she's doing and I can't believe that Aclaris would green-light a Phase 2 trial without evidence it is viable.
    (Also look at her locks-
    - Dr. Christiano has AA, and now look at her hair, she has a real reason to attack alopecia)
  • Fevipiprant- In just under 1 year, the Phase 3 trials will be ending and those of us (myself included) with asthma will possibly have an opportunity to try a stronger Setipiprant alternative. This is assuming Fevi passes through Phase 3 and is brought to market. There is also a chance that some doctors will be willing to prescribe this off label, which the FDA permits.
  • Follica- From their website:
    • Our regenerative biology program is currently progressing into a pre-pivotal pilot optimization study expected to start in early 2018, with a pivotal trial expected to begin in the first half of 2018
    I'm assuming this would set them up for release in 2019, but either way, the trial is "something to look forward to".
  • PolarityTE- As I believe I saw another member post, this seems like the Dark Horse candidate (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_K._Polk). FDA approved, brilliant minds, a lot of different angles to attack from. Let's see what they come up with next year.
  • Shiseido- Japan release? (pls)
  • url
    brotzu.jpeg

il volto della speranza
I'm probably forgetting stuff too...

That Guy

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Trial results and possible market releases from Follica and Shiseido.

A presentation from that South Korean doctor and the CXXC5 protein binding thing.

Further results from PolarityTE. Irrelevant to hairloss, but still fascinating.

Other than that? f*** all.

inland

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm really excited for a few things in particular:

Don't mean to burst your bubble, but sadly, no, no, no, no, and no. I love the optimism of the guys here, but it's the same thing every year.
  • JAK Trials- Even if it did work, it has weak results, and will take at least a decade to flood the market to even make it close to being affordable. The sound of it reminds me of RU.
  • Fevipiprant- Another accidental discovery like finasteride, and will have similar results with other undesired sides. Give this one a decade as well. Another dead end.
  • Follica- Might as well just do dermrolling/topicals to maintain. Or FUE.
  • PolarityTE- Somewhat hopeful, but will be a fortune, and again take years. Similar to hair cloning.
  • Shiseido- Snake oil.

Last edited:

d3nt3dsh0v3l

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Don't mean to burst your bubble, but sadly, no, no, no, no, and no. I love the optimism of the guys here, but it's the same thing every year.
  • JAK Trials- Even if it did work, it has weak results, and will take at least a decade to flood the market to even make it close to being affordable. The sound of it reminds me of RU.
  • Fevipiprant- Another accidental discovery like finasteride, and will have similar results with other undesired sides. Give this one a decade as well. Another dead end.
  • Follica- Might as well just do FUE and topicals to maintain.
  • PolarityTE- Somewhat hopeful, but will be a fortune, and again take years. Similar to hair cloning.
  • Shiseido- Snake oil.
That you think fevi will be as effective as finasteride but that RCH-01S is snake oil is baffling.

The latter showed that those who received a single dose basically stayed above baseline for 5 years. That is a remarkable attack on Androgenetic Alopecia. They have shown at least with mouse data that the injected MSCs integrate themselves within dying follicles, rejuvenating them.

The former, on the other hand, still lacks any data in humans with respect to hairloss, although the importance of PGD2 in hairloss is well established; the drug is worth the ol' college try. But I find it naïve to assume that it will yield sideless maintainence. They suppose it won't have any sexual side effects. Sexual. But as long as we play the game of taking drugs systemically and indefinitely, I'll approach with caution. Especially given that the role of prostaglandins has received less attention until recently and because prostaglandins are known to function in a complimentary "yin-yang" fashion, and because I am leery of trading androgen suppression for attenuation of immune system response. But it is indeed worth trialing it.

Anyway, too often is the term "snake oil" thrown around without appropriate context, in which "placebo" would seem synonymous. You can question whether or not the efficacy is up to your own standards, but it is difficult to deny the data.

But maybe you were just joshing around.

Last edited:

itsAlright

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
  • Follica- Might as well just do FUE and topicals to maintain.
  • Shiseido- Snake oil.

I realize you are older and have more years of experience than myself, but I think your view is being tainted by cynicism that comes with age (as my view is surely tainted by optimistic youth).
There are definitely a lot of unknowns with the developments I mentioned, but I don't feel all of your points are valid.
JAK- Have you seen the results for AA? What about that makes you think the results for Androgenetic Alopecia will be weak? Unless you have some inside info, you can't have any better idea how these trials will shake out than the rest of us.
Fevi- Fair point with sides, it very well could have sides, and like finasteride, it will be up to us to decide the trade off. Personally though, if it's not man-boobs and a spaghetti noodle then it'll be a huge upgrade. Also I don't understand the decade comment, it will be out next year pending asthma trials. You could argue efficacy may not be there but we will have to see.
Follica- How does FUE compare? Scars, $$$$, limited donor, potential for butchering. And further, how would FUE without donor be a disappointment?
PolarityTE- This is already FDA approved, it will not take years to adapt their current product to hair loss treatment, provided it works as we understand it to.
Shiseido- Do you believe previous trials were doctored? See d3nt3dsh0v3l above.

No disrespect intended, I get it, hair loss sucks, treatments have sucked, but you can't look at the past and predict the future. Just because something hasn't happened doesn't mean it isn't coming.

Merry Christmas.

inmyhead

Reaction score
I realize you are older and have more years of experience than myself, but I think your view is being tainted by cynicism that comes with age (as my view is surely tainted by optimistic youth).
There are definitely a lot of unknowns with the developments I mentioned, but I don't feel all of your points are valid.
JAK- Have you seen the results for AA? What about that makes you think the results for Androgenetic Alopecia will be weak? Unless you have some inside info, you can't have any better idea how these trials will shake out than the rest of us.
Fevi- Fair point with sides, it very well could have sides, and like finasteride, it will be up to us to decide the trade off. Personally though, if it's not man-boobs and a spaghetti noodle then it'll be a huge upgrade. Also I don't understand the decade comment, it will be out next year pending asthma trials. You could argue efficacy may not be there but we will have to see.
Follica- How does FUE compare? Scars, $$$$, limited donor, potential for butchering. And further, how would FUE without donor be a disappointment?
PolarityTE- This is already FDA approved, it will not take years to adapt their current product to hair loss treatment, provided it works as we understand it to.
Shiseido- Do you believe previous trials were doctored? See d3nt3dsh0v3l above.

No disrespect intended, I get it, hair loss sucks, treatments have sucked, but you can't look at the past and predict the future. Just because something hasn't happened doesn't mean it isn't coming.

Merry Christmas.

I'm amazed that you managed to write him decent reply having in mind that his posts is based on " This won't happen, because it didnt happen before". I would just ignore such short sighted guys myself

Dolph

Established Member
Reaction score
Winlevi (CB for acne) likely available in 2019. Mayyyyybe something earlier from Polichem. That's what we've got. I'm still optimistic about CB even if it's a few years too late for me personally.