Will you ever be the same person you used to be?

Chris87

Established Member
Reaction score
I wonder this all the time. It seems like the life I had before I started losing my hair is a completely different life. I feel like even on days where life is great and I'm having a great time and the sun is shining..theres always that black cloud hanging in the back of my mind called hair loss.

Even on days when I'm not thinking about it..its always there somehow. I feel like I can never completely escape it..even when its not on my mind.

Its kind of sad when you look back and try to remember what it was like to not even have a second thought about your hair...to not even notice a hair falling out in the shower. To run your hands through your hair, revealing your hairling, and not think anything of it. I've only been losing my hair for 3 years and I can't remember what those things are like.

There are not many events that stick out in someone's life that they'll always remember no matter what. Like where you were on 9/11 or something like that. For me I'll never forget the exact moment when I got out of the shower..looked at my hair..and noticed a freckle through my hairline that I had never seen before (because I had just started losing enough hair that it had become vaguely visible through my hairline on my left temple and I had never knew it existed before because the density of my hair covered it). I thought oh my god am I losing my hair? I'm only 22..nah..thats impossible....no one in my family really has hair loss...but, deep down I knew what it was.

Have any of you guys gotten back to the point of not being concerned with it? Maybe from taking finasteride or whatever? Do you think you'll ever get back there?

Just something I thought about that I thought might be interesting to discuss.

Six

Reaction score
Doubt it. Most people with thick full hair don't understand the stress. Mine started when I was 15. Since then I seemed to go through phases of denial and depression. I feel like I've missed out on most of my youth because of this. It sucks but we can only hope for a cure.

Chris87

Established Member
Reaction score
Six said:
Doubt it. Most people with thick full hair don't understand the stress. Mine started when I was 15. Since then I seemed to go through phases of denial and depression. I feel like I've missed out on most of my youth because of this. It sucks but we can only hope for a cure.

Stress is a good word for it. No matter how good of a day or what I'm doing..theres always that low level stress thats just somehow always subconsciously there

maximiliandreams

Established Member
Reaction score
Chris,thank you for this great post,really.I doubt that we could have that life,we had before...never think about hairloss again,it's impossible.Even if you stop hairloss,there are always some sheddings or your hair is going bad again,so...even if you go for a hair transplant...dont know man,it would never be the same,as it was when i was 15 years old...in that time i cared only about video games and girls,walks and that kind of a stuff...i really hate this word "hairloss",i will remember it in the rest of my life...another think to consider is,if i have to choose betweeen girl and boy,when i want kids,i will deffinitely prefer girl..you know why ! Well,you were 22 when you noticed your hairloss,what can i say? I was 18 years old when i noticed that...you can't imagine what depression i had..the same think as you said,i thought my life was over...for example my friends invite me to go out or something like that,and exactly in the moment when i want to say "yea,great let's meet some girls or etc" that hairloss stuff..hits me so painful,as a bullet in my heart and i lose my desire to go out... i really hate this thing...but,that's it..you cant do anything..that's the way we are born and you CAN NOT change it,you can only slow it down..(i agree that it is possible to Stop and even reverse hairloss as SE-FREAK,but let's be honest,guys like SE-Freak are 1 on 100000000) and the only advice i can say to you,is to fight with all power you have,patience,meds,and stuff to maintain what you have as much time as you can,use toppik and live your life man,that's all i can say.It's enough that i have hairloss,and this alone is enough...except this curse,it will ruin my life..HELL NO ! SO : MAINTAIN,TOPPIK and last step is hair transplant and after that again TOPPIK..that's all dude,peace.

B

Beingbaldsucks

No day is awesome anymore, it's only less paintfall, being also short, I have such big stress that my friends don't haves and it coused me to fight with one of them, all of us have troubles, but mines is on a different level, I'm loosing my youth, my beauty my happiness in life, you know we all from poor background but they have the happiness and the unworriness of the hair, it will allyes be there for them, they can style it in whatever form they want. And I'm an young short man with aging problems

seb

Reaction score
Good question,although for me I would rephase it to."will I ever be the person I really am? as I have never really had hair.What I mean by this is,because of the way I look I am deemed as something I am patently not by society,thus I unable to be the person I am inside,as the look I am forced too adopt is not me.

seb

Reaction score
If you have hair,you can do anything,be anyone,go anywhere.Without hair,you can't be the person you essentially are(people won't let you),you can't go anywhere without ridicule,you are forced to walk the wrong path.

Chris87

Established Member
Reaction score
seb said:
If you have hair,you can do anything,be anyone,go anywhere.Without hair,you can't be the person you essentially are(people won't let you),you can't go anywhere without ridicule,you are forced to walk the wrong path.

Good point. I feel sometimes too that I will never be fully able to be who I am supposed to be, because I will always have this hanging over me. I don't have depression..i am not a depressed person..i deal with things really well..but I do think about these things.

I'm glad we are at least in a time where we have a forum like this, or a show like The Bald Truth to listen to every week where we can sort of hang out with other guys and not have to worry about someone judging us..because we are all in the same boat.

I feel bad for the guys who are in their 40s or 50s and started going bald in their 20s before there was any real treatment (like finasteride) and before hair transplants were really good. Back then there was no forum like this and you would just be on your own i suppose

ghg

My Regimen
Reaction score
After 5,5 yrs of dealing with this sh*t I think it's safe to say: NO.

Captain Obvious

Established Member
Reaction score
This question doesn't even make sense.

Of course I wont ever be the same person I used to be because I went bald!

I don't even think I know who I used to be.

What makes me resentful is when I see all these other guys who are in their 20's like me and they are still living an extension of their youth. Yes, they mature in a lot of ways, but they still have that physical connection to their past because they *look* like who they've always looked like.

I, on the other hand, have so little physical connection to my past, I look almost nothing like I did, I find it hard to believe that I ever was who I was.

kc444

Established Member
Reaction score
This thread is really depressing. I have pretty advanced diffuse thinning and it began in my mid teens (I'm now 23). I've only just now begun to treat it and I have high hopes that it will cause a significant difference. Still.. it will be no where *near* as thick as it was even if I'm the best responder in the world. If you are not treating it, then it is depressing. But even so, thinking like this is going to cause way more problems than the hair loss itself. You may think that you can't get women anymore and maybe your experience backs that up, but I bet most of it has to do with low self-esteem, anxiety, and going outside less and less. I spent the last 4 years of my life sitting in my room while everyone else was partying, but since going on the Big 3 two months ago, I've shed a lot but feel much more confident and it has paid off, especially with women (hot ones too, way out of my league). A cure will come someday, but if you tell yourself that you're not goingto do anything to better yourself until it does, then it will not be very satisfying. Find something that motivates you, better yourself, find a good antidepressant if you must.. just don't let it take over your life. My hair loss still bothers me, but my life is arguably better than it's ever been.

ghg

My Regimen
Reaction score
"Treating it" is a part of the problem for me. finasteride fucked me up real good.

barcafan

Reaction score
probably not. i went from Norwood 0 to nw2 in within half a year at 16 years old. after that up until about 20-21 that was all i was thinking about / freaking over. this all happened along with moving to a new city and highschool for my latter years, it was stressfull and a huge b**ch. makes me wonder what kind of toll it had on me

HairPieceMan

Reaction score
at 5 5 you have a right to complain.

at 5 8, you don't really have that right, its totally normal i see 5 8 guys all the time.

ghg

My Regimen
Reaction score
barcafan said:
probably not. i went from Norwood 0 to nw2 in within half a year at 16 years old. after that up until about 20-21 that was all i was thinking about / freaking over. this all happened along with moving to a new city and highschool for my latter years, it was stressfull and a huge b**ch. makes me wonder what kind of toll it had on me

What Norwood are you now then?

slipy

Reaction score
I remmember i was always depression and melancholy prone, but i always had hope - something that is completely absent in me now. (not hope of being titty fuked by hot girls but of finding inner peace and happiness) and when hope dies what is left then?

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
No but then again I wouldn't be even if I never lost my hair.

HairPieceMan

Reaction score
pre-hairloss times i was a beta male, with an alpha males bank account.

post hairloss times i ignored girls.

post Hairpiece times im about to enter the alpha male arena with millions of £££

barcafan

Reaction score
ghg said:
barcafan said:

What Norwood are you now then?

id say a tad over a 3

ghg

My Regimen
Reaction score
So, in theory, you could be just having a mature hairline?