Will shedded hair grow back?

PiggyHogDaddy

Reaction score
Im really confused. The "shed" that occurs when initially talking propecia, does this hair grow back. I was receeding in January a little, but nowi have an "island" scenario in which i have a tuft of hair at the front of my head. This has ocurred in four months and must be a result of the propecia. So if this is the shed, will it grow back?

Hans Gruber

Reaction score
shed hair will hopefully grow back,assuming that is it has been lost as the propecia kicks into gear and not as a continuation of your balding.Dont fret ,im pretty sure itll come back,maybe add minoxidil too?

treeshrew

Experienced Member
Reaction score
propecia doesn't work very well, if at all, on hair follicles on the hairline - that is why you are continuing to lose ground there.

i would suggest adding minoxidil foam to maintain the hairline in combination with the propecia.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
With the balding process, should not a perfectly thick uniform hair that is shed come back still? If minoxidil or Propecia causes some hairs to shed, why would the hair not come back at least if not thinner but still come back? How can a shed cause an area to go hairless in one cycle and it does not come back? I do not understand why it won't come back. I thought only vellus hairs or miniaturized hairs may not come back. I am asking this question because my hairline had perfectly thick hairs, they shed and still have not come back. Shouldn't a new hair come back at least( even if its thinner)?? This is what I am confused about. And how long will it take for that hair to come back? Everyone please feel free to comment on this?

ps1freak

Established Member
Reaction score
the hairs will come back but it may take months

1 month after i started propecia, i shed so much that when i styled my hair, scalp was showing everywhere no matter what.

i pretty much thought i was done for so i cut it short and just stopped looking at my hair.

i am nearin 2 years on propecia / 8 months minoxidil and now i can style my hair anyway i want with full coverage. the shedded hairs came back...but was slow to come back. some came back as thick as my normal hair, others came back thinner, but overall they came back as terminal.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
I just read something tonight that may explain why mine does not come back so quickly. I finally realize that I may have what is called a long telogen effluvium. With a normal Telogen Effluvium the hair can stay in the telogen phase( the loss phase) and not switch over to the anagen phase until maybe 3 to 4 months later, so that most of your hair returns back about 6 months. With the long Telogen Effluvium, the hairs stay in the telogen phase for a LONG time and will not switch to the anagen phase as long as you continue with the factors that make you go into that condition. I admit this whole hair situation has been so stressful, that I constantly am stressed about it every hour of the day I think about. I think if I want my hair to switch to the anagen phase I got to reduce stress. I also think this also causes adrenal fatigue for me too. Another thing with the long Telogen Effluvium is that the thinning tends to be diffuse and it tends to be mostly the top of the scalp and that is exactly where most of my diffuse thinning is. I am going to go back with Follicare without minoxidil. I remember my hair did excellent on it. It involves taking vitamins and spraying your hair with natural vitamins that address Telogen Effluvium. Its worth a shot and without the minoxidil I will know for sure if its doing me any good or not. If I am wrong, and its male pattern baldness, at least I take Propecia to cover that aspect. Its sound logical because I have some areas that went bare and after bout over a year hair started to come back in those areas. Stress is the enemy my friends.

optimus prime

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Dr House,

I think we have the same kind of hair loss. Mine is defuse through the middle and worst on the crown. My hair line is not too bad. My hair is stable until I get stressed and it starts to shed like crazy, which makes me get even more stressed. I suffer from anxiety, so that doesn't really help the situation.

I am shedding like crazy, but hope it will come back; the question is 'if it does...when?'

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
OP, you may have some Telogen Effluvium but it sounds like genetic male pattern baldness because you have thinning on the crown. My crown has never had a problem. I just have very narrow band( about 1 inch in width that is straight down the middle but gets thicker after about midscalp. It maybe part of natural part. From what I have read, I guess I don't have DUPA because my diffuse thinning is not ALL over the top of my scalp. If you see the new TV guide with David Duchovny( Mulder from X files), my hair is pretty much like his.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
OP, I do have photos but I do not want to share them publicly due to the fact that they deceptively will show I have a full head of hair and really will not be able to show changes in density that I have experienced. I see the reaction people give when someone is complaining about hairloss and then they post a photo and it looks normal to some and then they get bashed. I think its wrong to give such reactions.

Lucky_UK

Experienced Member
Reaction score
if the shed hair looks thick and healthy then it should grow back, if the shed hair looks thin and smaller than your healthy hairs then maybe not.

ali777

Reaction score
I had this particular strand of a miniaturised hair lower than my hairline that kept on staring at me every single time I looked at the mirror. It was getting on my nerves and I pulled it out with a pair of tweezers. To my surprise, minoxidil made that particular hair strand regrow thick. So I have one hair strand that is thicker than all the hairs around it...

It's only one hair strand, but it's given me hope for the future. So, if I shed I would expect the new hair to come out thick.

I thought of plucking my hair :woot: but that would make my hairline look silly... I will just have to wait for the whole natural hair cycle to do its job.

amsch

Reaction score
One question: has anyone had a big shed, where the hair really thinned out, but grew back (even better) again? Mostly i see reports where people claim huge shedding amounts, but no (negative) change in thickness.