Will rotating Head & Shoulders help with my itch?

misterium

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm getting ugly random irritation and itching on my thinning crown areas only.. it's persistant, and annoying.

I've tried just about everything so far... nothing is helping GET RID of and CONTROL this itch situation.

I was thinking of getting H&S shampoo and using it daily for awhile, while still using Nizoral 2x weekly. I was going to replace my T/Gel with the Head & Shoulders bottle just for awhile, to see if I can get things controlled.

The T/Gel works pretty good for a day or so but the itch comes back around bed time. Inflamil isn't doing much either.

I was thinking of trying the 'Sensitive Care' formula or the 'Intensive' formula which has Selenium Sulfide 1%.

Any suggestions? Thanks,
-misterium

The Gardener

Reaction score
I don't have, quote-unquote, "irritation" like many suffer from but I have always had this slight ambient itch on my scalp that, at times, becomes noticeable enough to warrant an occasional scratch.

When it seems to get bad, I have a bottle of T/Gel "Stubborn Anti-Itch" that I keep in the pantry. That stuff is the best I have encountered for halting itch. It's not necessarily the base medication in the T/Gel that does it, but, moreso the menthol that the "Anti-Itch" version has in it which normal T/Gel does not. It packs a STRONG dollop of it, applies with a tingly cool sensation, and as you leave it on for a few minutes it turns downright cold. It's very stimulating on the scalp, and as menthol is a topical anesthetic it soothes. Not sure if this would be of any help over and above normal T/Gel on a long term basis, but when you have short-term occasional flare ups, this is awesome stuff.

And, yeah, H&S is a good medicated shampoo too. It is an antifungal in the same manner that T/Gel is, but attacks using a different kind of chemical, and is a very legitimate addition to a shampoo regimen for an irritated scalp. Every scalp is different, try different things and see what works best for you.

Zim

Established Member
Reaction score
Just a little thing I like to do is get some pure emu oil and aloe vera gel and add a few drops (not too much of emu oil as it gets greasy) of each to my shampoo d`jjoure in the hairy palm of my hand. Both are great for scalp health.

misterium

Reaction score
Thanks guys.

I just went to Rite Aid and picked up H&S 'Sensitive Scalp' care formula shampoo + conditioner in one.

I'm going to rotate it.

Today is a nizoral day for me so I shampooed with T/Sal first then did my Nizoral lather. My scalp was itchy in the shower and during lathering though, but settled after awhile.. it feels good right now though, no noticable sensations/irritation/itch whatsoever... it's usually later in the night that it comes back.

T/Gel Stubborn Itch Formula DOES feel good with its menthol, I just ran out so instead I bought an Original Formula bottle.

I will also try mixing some aloe into my shampoo.

SE-freak

Reaction score
As I have told you before, I think your scalp could really use a break from all those stuff.

misterium

Reaction score
It's just weird because if I go without washing, my scalp itches more.. I feel the tingling sensations more in my thinning areas if I don't use any water/shampoos for a day..

I don't think I can go without shampooing daily.

misterium

Reaction score
I thought you were upset about something?

At least some kind of positive comment from you :)

venomman

Reaction score
I heard head and shoulders is a HORRIBLE shampoo to use all it does is clog your pour. Im trying some leonor Greyl anti dandruff shampoo right now with some scalp tonic oil, they looked at my scalp and told me to do it so whatever. im still on propecia ;) im gonna try differnt shampoos now.