Will A Hair System Cause Traction Alopecia?

Jesse14

My Regimen
Reaction score
Over time, will a hair system cause traction alopecia? The only thing keeping me from getting one is the worry that I'll destroy my existing hairs, because I eventually want a transplant.

Noah

Reaction score
Traction alopecia is caused by sustained pulling on your biohair. In the days when people attached hairpieces to their biohair with clips, that caused traction alopecia. The modern method is to buzz the hair under the system to zero, and attach the system direct to the scalp with adhesive. That doesn't cause traction alopecia, because there is no hair to pull. You still need to take care to release the adhesive bond with alcohol when you remove the system, so that you are not yanking on any small hairs that have grown while the system was glued in place, but provided you do that, there should be no possibility of traction alopecia.

I have a tuft of biohair just behind the hairline of my system which I have to buzz each time I reattach. It has been covered in glue for years now, and hidden under my base, but it still grows back as strongly as ever.

Noah

Jesse14

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you Noah. I decided I'm going to get one. Is this something I should go to a salon for, or do it myself? I have a few questions if you don't mind. On a lot of hair system sites, I see like 10 different kinds, and it just looks a bit overwhelming.

Noah

Reaction score
Hi Jesse

You can choose whether to do it yourself or to use a salon and get them to do everything for you. Clearly DIY is much cheaper, and plenty of guys have done the whole process themselves with no outside help. It's by no means rocket science, and there is a lot of good information on-line to help you, as well as forums like this. On the other hand if you can afford it there is quite a lot to be said for having a professional show you the ropes and give you some support and hand-holding, provided you pick a good place. The better places will empower you, rather than keeping you dependent on them. Also, getting a good result, especially if your natural hair is far gone, sometimes requires a degree of artistic taste and judgement which not every guy has.

I will PM you some thoughts on possible suppliers if you decide for the DIY approach.

Noah

Jesse14

My Regimen
Reaction score
Great, I'm going to try DIY. I'd love some sources and any "guides" to DIY. I appreciate the help you have given.

EDIT: Just saw your message, thank you so much!