Why Not Get A Hair Transplant Instead?

Hairloss88

My Regimen
Reaction score
You could look into SMP to cover the scars.

The scars in my recipient area are bumps and the skin structure is way off, not even to mention the thickness of the hairs. People are always talking about the scars in the back but you can cover them up with your own hair and just have a horseshoe look instead. Many people have that and although it is not my preferred look, I would love to have that right now but I can't. To everyone out there, a hair transplant does not only cause scarring in the donor area but also in the recipient area. SMP will not change anything in the skin structure...

Hairloss88

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have heard of a number of treatments for scars, including microdermabrasion. You should check it out!
Thanks for your reply. I am thinking about getting a hair system and just try to rock it and get on with life. One of my main concerns are my transplanted hairs in my frontal hairline though. I am afraid that razor shaving them will cause bleeding / skin irritation and that they will eventually lift the frontal hairline after a couple of days. If I will be able to electric shave very close to my skin and then redo my frontal hairline every 2 days I would be ok with it though. Not ideal but at least I have a solution. I mean a hair system is not ideal but I do think that if you get the hang of it I could have a more or less normal life again.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. I am thinking about getting a hair system and just try to rock it and get on with life. One of my main concerns are my transplanted hairs in my frontal hairline though. I am afraid that razor shaving them will cause bleeding / skin irritation and that they will eventually lift the frontal hairline after a couple of days. If I will be able to electric shave very close to my skin and then redo my frontal hairline every 2 days I would be ok with it though. Not ideal but at least I have a solution. I mean a hair system is not ideal but I do think that if you get the hang of it I could have a more or less normal life again.

Why will you need to redo the hairline every couple of days?

deg_dilemma

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
That's what I'm afraid of. I'm not a wearer yet :) I think I have to redo it as my transplanted hairs will probably lift my frontline.

The salon I go to said they have clients who have had failed hair transplants. The problem (they say) is that hair transplants leave some quite strong/thick hairs that can sometimes be at odd angles. This can cause some minor issues with bonding a system.

I still have some natural hair on my front line and I find I have lifts every 3 or 4 days, which is fine because I can't expose the hairline anyway (it looks BAD even when bonded properly). So I would advise to go with a style where you keep the system hair covering the hairline - which is good anyway I think, for a natural look.

Fanjeera

Reaction score
I have had a hair transplant and it completely ruined my life. They advertise it as the miracle solution but once you go that route there is no way back not even to mention the anxiety it brings. Don't forget you will never ever ever be able to shave it down. I am looking into hair systems now , at a very very young age, and would probably have to deal with this for the rest of my life as there is no way back for me. To be really honest, I don't even know why they offer hair transplants as it is nowhere near a good solution for anyone, it just f*cks your head up and then it will f*ck you up as well.
If you do FUE you won't get any scars or marks on your head, no?

Hairloss88

My Regimen
Reaction score
The salon I go to said they have clients who have had failed hair transplants. The problem (they say) is that hair transplants leave some quite strong/thick hairs that can sometimes be at odd angles. This can cause some minor issues with bonding a system.

I still have some natural hair on my front line and I find I have lifts every 3 or 4 days, which is fine because I can't expose the hairline anyway (it looks BAD even when bonded properly). So I would advise to go with a style where you keep the system hair covering the hairline - which is good anyway I think, for a natural look.

That's indeed what I'm afraid off but they make it work as well right. They are still wearing. So maybe a bit more maintenance but I hope it will work out. What kind of system are you wearing? A full lace front or something else? Do agree that not showing the hairline is easier.

Do you only redo your front every 3/4 days and a full redo every week or how does that work for you?

Hairloss88

My Regimen
Reaction score
If you do FUE you won't get any scars or marks on your head, no?

If you do FUE most of the back of your head is covered with tiny dot scars and the skin on the front of your head will also have scarring and often tiny bubbles.

I could live with the tiny dot scarring in the back as you can just trim your head and keep the horseshoe look to cover the scars, however, the skin in the recipient area is also scarred and you may eventually run out of hair there.

In other words, you will end up with a head full of scars and no way back.

deg_dilemma

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
That's indeed what I'm afraid off but they make it work as well right. They are still wearing. So maybe a bit more maintenance but I hope it will work out. What kind of system are you wearing? A full lace front or something else? Do agree that not showing the hairline is easier.

Do you only redo your front every 3/4 days and a full redo every week or how does that work for you?

I only started wearing a few weeks ago. I am using a salon for now but I want to do self maintenance when I am confident enough. I have a skin UTS system provided by Total Cover Plus. I would not recommend them because they have very limited options and awful, really awful, front hairlines. There is zero chance of exposing the hairline and looking natural.

I have ordered a swiss lace system from elsewhere (UKhairsystems) and am hoping that will look more natural.

With the TCP system i redo hairline every 4 or 5 days. I visit salon for complete refit every 4 or 5 weeks...It's expensive.

matt0135

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Why not try installing the front of your hairline just a touch past your normal hairline? You'd have to be careful it doesn't take away too much from your forehead, but at least the first mm or two will be bonded to bald skin .

Hairloss88

My Regimen
Reaction score
I only started wearing a few weeks ago. I am using a salon for now but I want to do self maintenance when I am confident enough. I have a skin UTS system provided by Total Cover Plus. I would not recommend them because they have very limited options and awful, really awful, front hairlines. There is zero chance of exposing the hairline and looking natural.

I have ordered a swiss lace system from elsewhere (UKhairsystems) and am hoping that will look more natural.

With the TCP system i redo hairline every 4 or 5 days. I visit salon for complete refit every 4 or 5 weeks...It's expensive.
Why not try installing the front of your hairline just a touch past your normal hairline? You'd have to be careful it doesn't take away too much from your forehead, but at least the first mm or two will be bonded to bald skin .

I think that's a really good idea. Out of all the bad I am lucky I didn't put my hairline too low. The temple areas may be a bit of a challenge but at the front I will still be able to but 4 fingers from my eyebrow and then I still have some bald skin left.

I am just wondering if there are any others who face this problem I am wondering how they dealt with it.

At the moment I can barely believe that wearing a hairsystem will go unnoticed but that is something I have to experience I think. I first have to overcome some of the obstacles myself first, as in how to deal with transplanted hairs, my oily skin and my blond hair (can imagine that is more difficult to blend then darker colors).

I think I will just take a month of work to allow myself some time to get it right and hopefully it works. Don't really know what to do if it doesn't.

deg_dilemma

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The hardest part will be accepting how different you look to yourself. I walked out of the salon feeling like a right idiot.

Others will notice if the change is very drastic, so it's up to you if you tell them it's a system or tell them that the hair transplant worked....

My advice would be to go for a light/extra-light system. Mine was way too thick and I had to hack it about a lot to get it looking reasonable. My next system is on order and it's an extra-light into light system (extra-light on hairline). Of course you have to go with your age etc but assuming you have lost most of your natural hair then it makes sense to go for a very light system to ease the new look in.

I've thought about putting the system behind my natural front hairline but as yet I'm not sure if it will look good. I still have hair but it's quite the Widows Peak hairline and so I might have to be creative.

I am in the long term thinking of a frontal hair transplant, so that way I would only have to wear a system behind a (new) strong front hairline.

Hairloss88

My Regimen
Reaction score
The hardest part will be accepting how different you look to yourself. I walked out of the salon feeling like a right idiot.

Others will notice if the change is very drastic, so it's up to you if you tell them it's a system or tell them that the hair transplant worked....

My advice would be to go for a light/extra-light system. Mine was way too thick and I had to hack it about a lot to get it looking reasonable. My next system is on order and it's an extra-light into light system (extra-light on hairline). Of course you have to go with your age etc but assuming you have lost most of your natural hair then it makes sense to go for a very light system to ease the new look in.

I've thought about putting the system behind my natural front hairline but as yet I'm not sure if it will look good. I still have hair but it's quite the Widows Peak hairline and so I might have to be creative.

I am in the long term thinking of a frontal hair transplant, so that way I would only have to wear a system behind a (new) strong front hairline.

Thanks a lot for the advice. I will definitely go for a light system (density would be 50% or less then???) Did you manage to create a natural look and did it affect your life a lot as in people recognizing that it's a system etc?

I really want to help you keeping away from the transplant path. The density of the hairline will never match, transplants fail, they are irreversible, etc. plus I think maintenance will even be more difficult if you leave hair in the front.

disfiguredyoungman

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the advice. I will definitely go for a light system (density would be 50% or less then???) Did you manage to create a natural look and did it affect your life a lot as in people recognizing that it's a system etc?

I really want to help you keeping away from the transplant path. The density of the hairline will never match, transplants fail, they are irreversible, etc. plus I think maintenance will even be more difficult if you leave hair in the front.

I don’t think maintenance will be more difficult. Quite the opposite should be true, without an exposed hairline you save a lot of work, you can use tape instead of glue etc.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
50% is VERY light for a mature man, mine goes from 75-85, with 70 at the hairline, graduated back.

deg_dilemma

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

It depends on the supplier's scale. Every supplier is different, which is annoying because it makes it hard to deal with. Northwest has a reasonable scale I think. TCP has a very dense scale - their 80% density is the lowest they do in stock and it feels like > 100% to me. Some places (like ukhairsystems) don't even go beyond medium because they know it looks ridiculous.

@Hairloss88 definitely ask your supplier how their density scale works. It could well be trial and error that eventually leads to your ideal density.

matt0135

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Agreed. 50% is too light I'd say. Would not last long before you saw bald patches I'd imagine. Mines around the same % as Steves

HairSystemGuy

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Occasionally on this forum, when we are talking about hair systems, some new poster will pop up to say "why don't you just get a hair transplant instead?". They make it sound like we might temporarily have forgotten that such a panacea is available, or be too tight-fisted to spend the money. I saw this comment on YouTube (credit to poster "Dan the Man") which I think explains my view on transplants better than I could have:

"The most grafts per square centimeter a transplant has ever achieved was 70-80 and at that rate, only 75% survive because of blood restrictions. In a safe transplant, meaning more than 85-90% graft survival, 40 grafts per square centimeter is the max. The average person has 100 follicles which contain 2 or more hairs per square centimeter except at the hairline where it is a little less dense and each follicle only has 1 hair per follicle. In other words, the best you can get is 2/3 natural density and this would exhaust your entire donor area just to fill up receded temples. All of the advertised transplant results are on patients with receded temples, not a bald spot on the crown or slick bald up top. Even then, the temples are given around 4000 grafts and they still aren't as dense as the rest of the patient's healthy hair. The average bald man will only be able to spare 6-7000 grafts in his life, so just to fill up a few square inches of space would exhaust your supply totally and then you'd be totally out of options a few years down the line. Some men's hair around the back and sides begin to thin in their 60's and definitely by their 70's so your scars would reveal themselves and your transplanted hair would thin as well.

The only transplant anyone should consider is a temporal peak transplant which would only be about 250-500 grafts per side depending on how pronounced you would want them to be. This would make a system look more natural and avoid the classic wide forehead look that far too many wearers have been dealing with for decades." (I have edited the original very slightly, but w/o changing the sense).

Totally agree with this Noah, most are uneducated about the process so just promote it without even knowing.