Why no research on a better alternative for finasteride?

newhere1

Reaction score
... I see so much new research on growing hair on bald spots (Histogen, Replicel etc) but nothing on a new drug that will actually maintain the hair by focussing on the root of the problem (the effect of DHT on hair follicals).

Yes we already have finasteride but it is far from perfect. Why is there not more focus on something that would do a better job at maintaining with less side effects than finasteride?

Replicel and hair cloning would be expensive when introduced but could basically let you go from NW7 to full head of hair with much more ease, no worry about donor area, etc. But these things are so far away from being widely available. I don't know why they haven't taken up something like RU or similar anti-androgens that can work topically. Yes there are guys 'using' these out there but the dosing and formulation (not to mention quality) is so unreliable.

We have been "5 years away" from the next breakthrough for like 20 years now.

Breyfogle

Established Member
Reaction score
Polichem is working on a topical finasteride. They're results look great with little systemic absorption. . Hoping that comes out soon.

abcdefg

Reaction score
We really dont have many ideal AAs that actually stop androgens to even show us what they can do. Can hair loss be prevented completely with something like dutasteride combined with something like RU that competes at receptor level? If you rendered androgens useless would male pattern baldness stop? I think it might maybe for a long time or forever. We dont really know for sure because we still dont have an ideal AA. Propecia isnt it, and even dutasteride raises T. It doesnt completely stop androgens like say castration would
The issue is finasteride and dutasteride work pretty well, and never sold a ton. A recipe for stagnation.

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
Castration doesnt completely stop androgens.

"
The skin, especially the pilosebaceous unit composed of sebaceous glands and hair follicles, can synthesize androgens de novo from cholesterol"
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12445184

DontWant2BeBald

Established Member
Reaction score
We really dont have many ideal AAs that actually stop androgens to even show us what they can do. Can hair loss be prevented completely with something like dutasteride combined with something like RU that competes at receptor level? If you rendered androgens useless would male pattern baldness stop? I think it might maybe for a long time or forever. We dont really know for sure because we still dont have an ideal AA. Propecia isnt it, and even dutasteride raises T. It doesnt completely stop androgens like say castration would
The issue is finasteride and dutasteride work pretty well, and never sold a ton. A recipe for stagnation.

Ru does nothing at all, use a proven anti androgen like flutamide

Swoop

My Regimen
Reaction score
Wouldn't that be terrible for us if Replicel is a success? Most of us need both regrowth and maintenance. If maintenance is solved before regrowth than the market for regrowth will gradually shrink and there will be no need for it.

Smart thinking. Jup, it would not be the best news for people who need regrowth for reasons like you mention. That being said we still have to see if they succeed in their hypothesis. If they do succeed in that.. That would mean basically pretty much the end for Androgenetic Alopecia as they would have a functional cure for it.

Castration is a cure too basically. Castrate every young kid and he will enjoy a full head of hair for the rest of his life, he won't suffer from Androgenetic Alopecia. It's just not really functional ;).