Why no research on a better alternative for finasteride?

INT

Reaction score
... I see so much new research on growing hair on bald spots (Histogen, Replicel etc) but nothing on a new drug that will actually maintain the hair by focussing on the root of the problem (the effect of DHT on hair follicals).

Yes we already have finasteride but it is far from perfect. Why is there not more focus on something that would do a better job at maintaining with less side effects than finasteride?

INT

Reaction score
I don't have a lot of trust in setipiprant... Resulsts so far have been meh...

Plus I have never been a fan of having to prepare your own topical and then apply it to your scalp EVERY day...

Thespain

Established Member
Reaction score
There is an Israeli company that is working on something as we speak, it's some sort of injection that kills scalp DHT followed by a comb. My concern, if it even comes out, is the cost, and its convenience (Don't want to inject my scalp 20 times a day every week and keep my hair short to use a comb. I dream of one day, some sort of Dutasteride that only kills scalp DHT. Now that's a million dollar idea, but probably not possible. But we can dream right?

INT

Reaction score
There is an Israeli company that is working on something as we speak, it's some sort of injection that kills scalp DHT followed by a comb. My concern, if it even comes out, is the cost, and its convenience (Don't want to inject my scalp 20 times a day every week and keep my hair short to use a comb. I dream of one day, some sort of Dutasteride that only kills scalp DHT. Now that's a million dollar idea, but probably not possible. But we can dream right?

Source?

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
Setipiprant
Bimatoprost
Replicel
Histogen
Follica
Samumed

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Setipiprant
Bimatoprost
Replicel
Histogen
Follica
Samumed

Are you more confident in these than people were in PRP three years ago? The pictures you post are comparable to some that can easily be found for PRP.

I hope that in a few years it will be possible to get compound treatments. It will be annoying if the situation is such that each topical is its own lotion/spray, and the information on which works better is coarse and depends on the patients.

As an analogy, I'm fighting a long-term struggle with acne on my shoulders. I use zinc oxide, salicyclic acid products, benzoic acid products, etc, in a rotation. It's demeaning, expensive, and mentally taxing. There's a reason companies like neutrogena don't typically sell a single lotion containing both salicyclic acid and benzoic acid.

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
Are you more confident in these than people were in PRP three years ago? The pictures you post are comparable to some that can easily be found for PRP.

I hope that in a few years it will be possible to get compound treatments. It will be annoying if the situation is such that each topical is its own lotion/spray, and the information on which works better is coarse and depends on the patients.

As an analogy, I'm fighting a long-term struggle with acne on my shoulders. I use zinc oxide, salicyclic acid products, benzoic acid products, etc, in a rotation. It's demeaning, expensive, and mentally taxing. There's a reason companies like neutrogena don't typically sell a single lotion containing both salicyclic acid and benzoic acid.

PRP is borderline scam and has never produced results comparable to that of the results Histogen just released.

big_head

Established Member
Reaction score
Is Histogen going to likely be out of everyone's price range?

If it's a one or two treatment type of deal for the price of a hair transplant that wouldn't be bad. But I imagine it being like 20k to go from a NW5 to a Norwood 2

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score
Is Histogen going to likely be out of everyone's price range?

If it's a one or two treatment type of deal for the price of a hair transplant that wouldn't be bad. But I imagine it being like 20k to go from a NW5 to a Norwood 2

I think they mentioned it would be in line with an average hair transplant? So maybe 5k-8k. Hellouser can confirm.

big_head

Established Member
Reaction score
I think they mentioned it would be in line with an average hair transplant? So maybe 5k-8k. Hellouser can confirm.

If it really is as effective as they say, hair transplant are going to be a lot harder to market.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
If it really is as effective as they say, hair transplant are going to be a lot harder to market.

Why would you prefer histogen over hair transplant if they have a comparable cost?

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
Why would you prefer histogen over hair transplant if they have a comparable cost?

Because Histogen doesn't butcher your scalp nor use up limited grafts for a mediocre result, nor does it do anything at all to preserve existing hair thats about to be miniaturized.

Histogen > Hair Transplant

F2005

Established Member
Reaction score
Because Histogen doesn't butcher your scalp nor use up limited grafts for a mediocre result, nor does it do anything at all to preserve existing hair thats about to be miniaturized.

+100

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score

Sorry to be bothering you with n00b queries, but,

Since when does an hair transplant preserve existing hairs about to be miniaturized, and why is it better that those hairs will rapidly die under histogen?

Or did you mean the opposite?

ETA: Also, what about the fact the hair transplant is more permanent?

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
Sorry to be bothering you with n00b queries, but,

Since when does an hair transplant preserve existing hairs about to be miniaturized, and why is it better that those hairs will rapidly die under histogen?

Or did you mean the opposite?

ETA: Also, what about the fact the hair transplant is more permanent?

Hair Transplants don't do anything to preserve follicles in their current state. Histogen however, does.

I think I worded it wrong initially, lol.

abcdefg

Reaction score
There has been focus on that for the last 20 years. Nobody found anything. There is stuff like RU, and a long list of experimental things. Seti, and other things on the way but your talking years still. Nothing left to research really because nothing besides finasteride currently really has the evidence it works yet. Maybe RU does or something else but they arent finished so its all guessing still

abcdefg

Reaction score
Why was RU never developed by industry?

Nobody really knows but theories abound. Its turned out making a powerful but safe AA was harder than people thought. CB might turn out to be that, but its takes many years to reach the finish line. Taking theory and turning it into a concrete physical molecule that gets those results is a very tough thing to do. Partly luck really the amount of criteria it has to meet to be viable like not toxic, cost effective, stable, and so on.