Why most men loose hairs from sides also?

Poppyburner

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
[...] if your vitamin d status is good, you will keep your hair, why would your body handicap itself from optimizing vitamin d levels by keeping your hair line where it has always been?

I hadn't indicated subscription to Coolio's theory btw, but I suppose one could argue that if need be, the body would probably prioritise a healthy skeletal and immune system (both reputedly required by vitamin D) over upper scalp hair retention. Though why the initial horseshoe shape I cannot say, plus sunlight radiates in all directions and reflects off all surfaces, so why just clear the head's top?

huge_avatar.jpg

Last edited:

coolio

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hairline recession is just a sign that something is amiss and needs to be corrected.

Why is it so hard to accept that your own experience may not be universal?

My teenage friend stopped growing when he was several inches shorter than me. It's not because my diet was so superior. People have different genetics.

so the theory that the body adapts to intake more vitamin d by losing hair doesn't make sense, it's literally the other way around, because if your vitamin d status is good, you will keep your hair, why would your body handicap itself from optimizing vitamin d levels by keeping your hair line where it has always been?

Androgenic hair loss is not a problem with the body's ability to grow hair. It's a change in where the body chooses to grow it.

You can take Biotin pills and your existing hair will grow faster. It still won't do anything to reverse baldness. Different issue.

nahte42

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So this still brings the question: Can aggressive male pattern baldness be described as an indicator of overall inferior genes?

Other things are indicators of genetic quality, at least according to female mating preferences. Very asymmetrical faces for example are less desirable for mating. Short height is less desirable. Weak jaw areas are less desirable. A small shoulder to waist ratio is less desirable. And I believe early age balding is also less desirable.

Female humans are wired to evaluate genetic quality. So I think it's fair to say aggressive male pattern baldness is indeed an indicator of inferior genetic quality.

Until we figure out how to control genes, cosmetic correction needs to be maximized.

Jakejr

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hairs on males can deteriorate wherever on skull. Ofcourse hairline & top go first.
The sides recede just like hairline. So when applying topicals, don’t completely ignore sides. It’s quite obvious since males have 900% more testosterone than females, males lose hairs much more quickly. No one knows precise reason for each individual, but that’s the main culprit, with testosterone conversion to DHT.
The problem for men is they are producing testosterone 24 hours a day.
If we systematically reduce testosterone in the body, the man starts to exhibit female characteristics. So IMO treating the scalp alone is better choice when it comes to testosterone reduction for the anti androgen protocols can remain in scalp & much less in blood stream.
Some topicals do just that. But to overcome the 9 to 1 ratio, 24 hours a day to women, as an example, is the million dollar question. I have read some success stories in these forums with regimens consisting of 5 or more topicals at once.
IMO that is what is required & probably more.

coolio

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So this still brings the question: Can aggressive male pattern baldness be described as an indicator of overall inferior genes?

Yeah, I'd say so. There aren't a lot of net forums for Norwood#1 guys, where they curse their hair's appearance, and mess around with experimental drugs trying to make their hairlines recede.

It's a misunderstanding of evolution to think it only promotes traits that benefit you. Evolution favors women getting less attractive to men as soon as they get past childbearing age. That certainly does not benefit older women. But it benefits the tribe as a whole when the men all prefer to bang younger women.

Balding may also be useful as an age-signalling trait. Like grey hair and wrinkles. Most guys don't get hit with visible balding at very young ages. On AVERAGE, a balding head is a pretty good indicator that a man is closer to 40 than 20.

Last edited:

nahte42

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Balding may also be useful as an age-signalling trait. Like grey hair and wrinkles. Most guys don't get hit with visible balding at very young ages. On AVERAGE, a balding head is a pretty good indicator that a man is closer to 40 than 20.
Generally yes. Unfortunately I am one of those young guys who got dealt the total hair follicle annihilation gene. I'm 24. My bald head makes me look closer to 40 than 20 even though my body, health wise, is around that of 20 year old. The main reason why I'm at least not seen as totally disgusting by people my age is because I take top notch care of myself otherwise. If I didn't I'd be a 2. But I manage a 5-6 even with the severe balding. Just makes me sad though that I could be a 8 with a full head of hair. And I only care so much because I'm young and it affects us much more when we're young and competing in the hierarchy.

coolio

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Generally yes. Unfortunately I am one of those young guys who got dealt the total hair follicle annihilation gene. I'm 24. My bald head makes me look closer to 40 than 20 even though my body, health wise, is around that of 20 year old. The main reason why I'm at least not seen as totally disgusting by people my age is because I take top notch care of myself otherwise. If I didn't I'd be a 2. But I manage a 5-6 even with the severe balding. Just makes me sad though that I could be a 8 with a full head of hair. And I only care so much because I'm young and it affects us much more when we're young and competing in the hierarchy.

Yeah, that's a b**ch. That doesn't even sound like 'inferior genetics', it is just one particularly inferior gene (so to speak).

My theory is that early baldness looks so unattractive because in pre-industrial times it was usually indicating other things. Like a guy having moderate baldness genes + bad overall health. But today, pretty much the only reason you see a bald 20yo is a particularly bad case of hair genetics. Today the pool of bald 20yo guys is probably pretty normal in any other way besides hair.

I do suspect modern diets are worsening the problem to some extent. (Like maybe 10%, not 80%.) But it's not an obvious direct thing where you can just eat more veggies and grow hair back. It's more like gene activation, endocrine patterns, long-term androgen exposure, etc. By the time you notice hair loss, the effects are already pretty baked-in.

ZP31

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Interestingly enough, I posed this question to Dr. Jerry Wong a few years ago and he said that from the time he began doing hair transplants until now, he has definitely noticed the hair on the sides of his patients heads become less dense and more recessed.

He said he believes the steroids used in mass-produced meat could have something to do with it, but that it’s nothing more than a guess.

coolio

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Baldness is definitely worsening in westernized countries.

We've got plastics in our environment. Our bodies react to plastic like it's estrogen.

In the last few generations our bodies have been showing more effects of that kind of imbalance each decade. I find it almost funny, the way the scientific community keeps acting so surprised & unsure about what is causing it. The most likely answer is f*****g screaming at us.

glen_jai

Reaction score
Telogen effluvium can cause it all over, as well as alopecia areata, but honestly what I discovered about my shedding on the sides?

It was my thyroid, and both too high and too low will cause that.
Hi, you mind me asking if you managed to rectify your thyroid problem?
As I have diffuse loss on the sides as well.
Thanks

DogoDiLaurentiis

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I had to go to a doctor and get put on dessicated thyroid, as levothyroxine does not work in my family.

If you have excessively high thyroid symptoms you can use carnitine to control it somewhat.

DogoDiLaurentiis

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Baldness is definitely worsening in westernized countries.

We've got plastics in our environment. Our bodies react to plastic like it's estrogen.

In the last few generations our bodies have been showing more effects of that kind of imbalance each decade. I find it almost funny, the way the scientific community keeps acting so surprised & unsure about what is causing it. The most likely answer is f*****g screaming at us.

Estrogen is not the problem, as it has been demonstrated openly on these forums, estrogen is the solution. I have documented high levels of test, not DHT, but testosterone and it has done nothing beneficial for my hair.

Microplastics are not causing hairloss, stress causes hairloss, anger literally stimulates your adrenals to make more DHEA and cortisol which in excess can cause hair loss, most hairloss is hormonal. The western world is being forced to keep up with inhuman demands for productivity and it is burning people out, that is bar none the greatest cause of hairloss and that is entirely hormonal.

coolio

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Estrogen is not the problem, as it has been demonstrated openly on these forums, estrogen is the solution. I have documented high levels of test, not DHT, but testosterone and it has done nothing beneficial for my hair.

It's not that simple. The overall hormone profile is more critical than the levels of the hormones individually. The "young man profile" is higher in T, and lower in E, but it's also lower in DHT so your hair will probably end up better off. (At least aside from the Norwood#1 hairline, which seems to be more susceptible to T in particular. Hence the "mature hairline" recession in the teens/20s.)

Microplastics are not causing hairloss, stress causes hairloss, anger literally stimulates your adrenals to make more DHEA and cortisol which in excess can cause hair loss, most hairloss is hormonal. The western world is being forced to keep up with inhuman demands for productivity and it is burning people out, that is bar none the greatest cause of hairloss and that is entirely hormonal.

Look at the well-documented decline in western men's testosterone levels over the last 75-100 years. The drop has been MASSIVE. It correlates a lot better with plastics exposure (and probably sugar exposure too) than with stress levels.

DogoDiLaurentiis

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It's not that simple. The overall hormone profile is more critical than the levels of the hormones individually. The "young man profile" is higher in T, and lower in E, but it's also lower in DHT so your hair will probably end up better off. (At least aside from the Norwood#1 hairline, which seems to be more susceptible to T in particular. Hence the "mature hairline" recession in the teens/20s.)

I don't agree with that at all now, in fact I think as men get older either two things happen.

A man's testosterone to estrogen ratio favors test even more, or men start experiencing testosterone deficits. I happen to be in the situation where I'm 40 and my testosterone to estrogen ratio has never been more disparate.

If you look at a lot of young men in their 20s, their faces say it all, and I can attest to this from personal experience, their testosterone might be high, but their estrogen is high as well. It is an out and out lie that higher estrogen will just make you fat and give you tits. Estrogen is the reason why a lot of young guys in their late teens and early 20s can't grow a beard but have soft smooth skin and still maintain an athletic physique.

High testosterone nukes facial collagen and makes you dry and sucked in the way a lot of fitness models and bodybuilders look. That's not how you see teenaged and 20-something boys look, because their ratio of estrogen is much much higher. Testosterone also makes your skin a lot more red, in fact if your test to estrogen ratio is really skewed you're more likely to take on a reddish tinge or a ruddy tinge to your skin and especially face unless you tan or are darker skinned.

Estrogen gives you smooth, often paler even toned skin, it's a dead giveaway for higher levels of estrogen.

I think it's largely a lie that most men have testosterone that takes a nosedive around my age, I think some unlucky men do, but mine is honestly higher than it was in my teens and I have less estrogen now which I plan to balance out exogenously.

Look at the well-documented decline in western men's testosterone levels over the last 75-100 years. The drop has been MASSIVE. It correlates a lot better with plastics exposure (and probably sugar exposure too) than with stress levels.

I personally don't think it has anything to do with that at all, I think it has more to do with breeding and diet as much as anything else. I think that extremely high testosterone of the past is being phased out through breeding and in demographics as an essential "vestigial limb" that is declining much like how we still occasionally find people born with spinal nubs that resemble a tail, but that has decreased substantially over the decades. Increasingly women are not interested in dating men who have the extremely coarse features that vestigially high levels of testosterone have caused. Most women preferred to breed with men who weren't lantern jawed, slope browed cavemen looking motherfuckers, that's an obvious trend of reproduction over the last 40 years that has only increased.

My testosterone is peaking at the top end of the reference range as it is defined presently, not only have I had my doctor tell me it's "too high" I personally feel like it's too high for me. My skin does not look as good as it once did, I feel a lot more dry, my face definitely feels more sucked in and not as full because of it, which is not as good of a look for me. Not to mention that it's much harder to curtail the oiliness of my skin because of the amount of testosterone I have going through my body at any given time.

Simply put, it's just not that necessary for me to have that much, yes I can eat garbage and roll out of bed with a near six pack after not exercising for months because testosterone is -that good- at maintaining muscle composition and burning fat. Yes, I can look like a f*****g monster in a month or two if I were to start picking up weights today, the strength I felt when I was exercising at my peak not too long ago was insane and you get to a point where you only feel like you're getting stronger and working out doesn't feel like a chore.

But I also want to look good, and it's really obvious that my balance of testosterone to estrogen is off, and as great as those things were to experience, I want my skin to look better, my face to look fuller and younger, and my hair to be extremely thick and have a nice color and texture to it, and that means sacrificing testosterone and adding estrogen.

There is no mythology behind why young teenaged boys and 20 somethings have nice skin, and thick hair, it's not "being young", it's called having a more balanced ratio of test to e2, period.

There's no point in engaging in whataboutery over testosterone being lower than it used to be on a demographic level over time when people like me exist. You probably think the healthy reference range for testosterone should be much higher, but I'm at the literal upper end of it by like a tenth at least, and I know for a fact I have too much. So what does that say about you wringing your hands over testosterone levels dropping by decade?

This is a hairloss forum and I want my f*****g hair back, and I want it as good as it was in the past. You're deliberately stuck in a poverty based zero sum mindset of "the past is a closed door, vaguely definable principles that we can never reconcile govern your existence" and that is 110% bullshit.

Like I said in other parts of the forum here, I'm done with the cult of testosterone, I think it's a massive source of insecurity for men and because they've been brainwashed with only half the picture they're stuck hovering over this idea that is based on a lack of information and saying "if I can't make my testosterone obsession I have work along with my desire for hair I don't want anything in the form of a solution". Then yeah, I guess you're fucked. All it means for me is I have to put more effort into my diet, exercise more and not expect to look ridiculously shredded as the price for my face looking better and my hair looking great.

To be honest, I think most people that is the case as well, but they're so f*****g brainwashed by propaganda and the insecurity that "ohh this man has way more testosterone and he has a full head of hair so if I can't compete with that I guess I'm screwed". That's such a scared adolescent boy attitude that I can't respect, you have to work with your hormone tolerances as they are, and optimize yourself based around your best appearance. This testosterone obsession is literally the male equivalent of the kind of pop culture brainwashing that causes female body dysmorphia. If you really want to have stupidly high levels of test and you're androgen sensitive, I would say to each and every man who thinks that way, shut up and get a transplant. Period. It's not that f*****g expensive.

I'll say this in summary, I can very accurately estimate a man's hormonal profile and their androgenic sensitivity based on looking at their face, more specifically the state of their collagen and skin. There is no better way of telling what a person needs hormonally or where they're at hormonally than by looking at their face and their hair.

Last edited:

coolio

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
There's no point in engaging in whataboutery over testosterone being lower than it used to be on a demographic level over time when people like me exist. You probably think the healthy reference range for testosterone should be much higher, but I'm at the literal upper end of it by like a tenth at least, and I know for a fact I have too much. So what does that say about you wringing your hands over testosterone levels dropping by decade?

"My experience happened to me, therefore all data pointing in other directions is nullified."

I think you summed up your attitude pretty well right here. I won't keep trying to debate you on any more details. Our general outlooks are too different.

MeDK

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Were do people dig all of this up?

Next week episode in bro-science "its women suppressing men into baldness, I know i experienced it, and my bro-scientist confirmed!"

Catagen

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't agree with that at all now, in fact I think as men get older either two things happen.

A man's testosterone to estrogen ratio favors test even more, or men start experiencing testosterone deficits. I happen to be in the situation where I'm 40 and my testosterone to estrogen ratio has never been more disparate.

If you look at a lot of young men in their 20s, their faces say it all, and I can attest to this from personal experience, their testosterone might be high, but their estrogen is high as well. It is an out and out lie that higher estrogen will just make you fat and give you tits. Estrogen is the reason why a lot of young guys in their late teens and early 20s can't grow a beard but have soft smooth skin and still maintain an athletic physique.

High testosterone nukes facial collagen and makes you dry and sucked in the way a lot of fitness models and bodybuilders look. That's not how you see teenaged and 20-something boys look, because their ratio of estrogen is much much higher. Testosterone also makes your skin a lot more red, in fact if your test to estrogen ratio is really skewed you're more likely to take on a reddish tinge or a ruddy tinge to your skin and especially face unless you tan or are darker skinned.

Estrogen gives you smooth, often paler even toned skin, it's a dead giveaway for higher levels of estrogen.

I think it's largely a lie that most men have testosterone that takes a nosedive around my age, I think some unlucky men do, but mine is honestly higher than it was in my teens and I have less estrogen now which I plan to balance out exogenously.

I personally don't think it has anything to do with that at all, I think it has more to do with breeding and diet as much as anything else. I think that extremely high testosterone of the past is being phased out through breeding and in demographics as an essential "vestigial limb" that is declining much like how we still occasionally find people born with spinal nubs that resemble a tail, but that has decreased substantially over the decades. Increasingly women are not interested in dating men who have the extremely coarse features that vestigially high levels of testosterone have caused. Most women preferred to breed with men who weren't lantern jawed, slope browed cavemen looking motherfuckers, that's an obvious trend of reproduction over the last 40 years that has only increased.

My testosterone is peaking at the top end of the reference range as it is defined presently, not only have I had my doctor tell me it's "too high" I personally feel like it's too high for me. My skin does not look as good as it once did, I feel a lot more dry, my face definitely feels more sucked in and not as full because of it, which is not as good of a look for me. Not to mention that it's much harder to curtail the oiliness of my skin because of the amount of testosterone I have going through my body at any given time.

Simply put, it's just not that necessary for me to have that much, yes I can eat garbage and roll out of bed with a near six pack after not exercising for months because testosterone is -that good- at maintaining muscle composition and burning fat. Yes, I can look like a f*****g monster in a month or two if I were to start picking up weights today, the strength I felt when I was exercising at my peak not too long ago was insane and you get to a point where you only feel like you're getting stronger and working out doesn't feel like a chore.

But I also want to look good, and it's really obvious that my balance of testosterone to estrogen is off, and as great as those things were to experience, I want my skin to look better, my face to look fuller and younger, and my hair to be extremely thick and have a nice color and texture to it, and that means sacrificing testosterone and adding estrogen.

There is no mythology behind why young teenaged boys and 20 somethings have nice skin, and thick hair, it's not "being young", it's called having a more balanced ratio of test to e2, period.

This is a hairloss forum and I want my f*****g hair back, and I want it as good as it was in the past. You're deliberately stuck in a poverty based zero sum mindset of "the past is a closed door, vaguely definable principles that we can never reconcile govern your existence" and that is 110% bullshit.

Like I said in other parts of the forum here, I'm done with the cult of testosterone, I think it's a massive source of insecurity for men and because they've been brainwashed with only half the picture they're stuck hovering over this idea that is based on a lack of information and saying "if I can't make my testosterone obsession I have work along with my desire for hair I don't want anything in the form of a solution". Then yeah, I guess you're fucked. All it means for me is I have to put more effort into my diet, exercise more and not expect to look ridiculously shredded as the price for my face looking better and my hair looking great.

To be honest, I think most people that is the case as well, but they're so f*****g brainwashed by propaganda and the insecurity that "ohh this man has way more testosterone and he has a full head of hair so if I can't compete with that I guess I'm screwed". That's such a scared adolescent boy attitude that I can't respect, you have to work with your hormone tolerances as they are, and optimize yourself based around your best appearance. This testosterone obsession is literally the male equivalent of the kind of pop culture brainwashing that causes female body dysmorphia. If you really want to have stupidly high levels of test and you're androgen sensitive, I would say to each and every man who thinks that way, shut up and get a transplant. Period. It's not that f*****g expensive.

I'll say this in summary, I can very accurately estimate a man's hormonal profile and their androgenic sensitivity based on looking at their face, more specifically the state of their collagen and skin. There is no better way of telling what a person needs hormonally or where they're at hormonally than by looking at their face and their hair.
I think most of your claims come from N=1 and you speak about your own case study as its a fact which applies to all humans. If you think something was the issue for you it might not be for anyone else and vice versa. All you have are empty N=1 claims. For some people higher estrogens might make hair loss worse, there is no way to know without doing high quality unbiased studies with a large sample size looking at hair.

Hair loss will never be taken seriously by high quality research unfortunately because there is no real motivation to treat it unlike more debilitating diseases. People are more willing to pay when their lives are on the line but rarely for hair. People on hair loss forums and health forums in general underestimate underestimate the complexity of biochemistry.

MeDK

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hair loss will never be taken seriously by high quality research unfortunately because there is no real motivation to treat it unlike more debilitating diseases. People are more willing to pay when their lives are on the line but rarely for hair. People on hair loss forums and health forums in general underestimate underestimate the complexity of biochemistry.

How did you come up with that ?

Hair research is peer reviewed all the time. That is the quality control that all research uses to be taken serious.

I think you underestimate the world of research, and how it works really.

Many on this forum thinks research is like choosing vagetables for dinner next time.

Research takes time, and when you got a product, then it takes time to get that product well tested and taken to the market.

If you have a super pill, all done and conceptualized and have the formula and such. When you take that pill and say "i want to take it to the market" then you are looking into +10 years until market release. That is the pace of the medical world.