Why most men loose hairs from sides also?

Mandar kumthekar

My Regimen
Reaction score
Most people would think that baldness is caused by chronic scalp tension which miniaturize hairs on the top of head.
Some experts believes gravity is cause of baldness because it causes pressure on hair follicles due to gravitational pull.
If all there theories are true then why men loose hairs from sides? Side should have thick hairs like those remain on back of the head.

Last edited:

Jim lahey

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
From what I recall those studies where theories on contributing factors to hair loss not the sole reason iirc. Also you really have to question the quality of many of these weird hairloss studies that never lead to anything.

Mandar kumthekar

My Regimen
Reaction score
From what I recall those studies where theories on contributing factors to hair loss not the sole reason iirc. Also you really have to question the quality of many of these weird hairloss studies that never lead to anything.
Hmmm.they lead nowhere and didn't help to find cure .

Jakejr

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Truth is hair can degenerate from every sector. You won’t notice it until if grows back..Each person has to reach their own threshold for healthy regrowth.
Minimal stimulation to massive stimulation in topicals, pills, mechanical stimulation.

nahte42

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Most men do not lose hair on the sides and back. They may lose minor amounts as they age, but in comparison to the loss on top it is entirely negligible for the majority of men with simple male pattern baldness. Hair loss all over the scalp is a different condition: alopecia areata.

For all the talk about male pattern baldness being an almost entirely genetic condition, I still believe there must be some merit to the talk about gravity/tension playing a role because every single guy with male pattern baldness loses hair in a pattern that leaves the horseshoe ring around the head, and what is the reason male pattern baldness evolved in that pattern? Would be interesting to do an experiment with a male child who is taken into zero-gravity space at early age and raised there through adulthood, seeing if his genetic predisposition to male pattern baldness results in him losing only the hair on top even in zero gravity. Can't do this in reality of course (at least not right now) but would sure be interesting.

Will Be an Egg in 5 years

My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't think someone who believes gravity causes hairloss can be considered an expert.

But yes, I do think DUPA isn't as rare as they claim. My sides até actually thinner than the top. The left one looks like sh*t. I have to do a combover on my sides. How pathetic is that?

nahte42

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't think someone who believes gravity causes hairloss can be considered an expert.

But yes, I do think DUPA isn't as rare as they claim. My sides até actually thinner than the top. The left one looks like sh*t. I have to do a combover on my sides. How pathetic is that?

Right. I haven't read too deeply into it, but what I'm saying is that of course I don't think there is any merit to the idea that gravity causes hair loss; rather that, for males with the genetic male pattern baldness trait, why does the hair loss only occur on the top of the head for the most part? Why do the sides and back remain? There must be a scientific and evolutionary reason for that pattern. The gravity theory would seem to make sense; maybe it simply does contribute to the pattern of hair loss.

My Regimen
Reaction score
Right. I haven't read too deeply into it, but what I'm saying is that of course I don't think there is any merit to the idea that gravity causes hair loss; rather that, for males with the genetic male pattern baldness trait, why does the hair loss only occur on the top of the head for the most part? Why do the sides and back remain? There must be a scientific and evolutionary reason for that pattern. The gravity theory would seem to make sense; maybe it simply does contribute to the pattern of hair loss.
They still haven't figured out why yet, but I remember Reading something about fetus development. The top of our scalp develops earlier/later, in a different way than the sides. If you think about it, makes all the sense. It's like our top was attached to something else.

Last edited:

coolio

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
There are plenty of theories.

IMO the one that jumps right out is vitamin D exposure. As you get older, you lose subcutaneous fat and you tend to get colder in the winter, so you stay more bundled up. You also get more of a beard. You tend to have less skin exposed in the winter than you did as a child, which leads to Vitamin D shortages. But if your hair coverage recedes as you get older then it gives you more skin showing. That would explain baldness pretty well.

"What about guys who bald really young?"
What about it? Evolution isn't perfect. In prehistoric times most men were dead by 35-40 and they were already reproducing by 15-20.

"Why don't Vitamin D supplements help?"
The process is genetically baked-in. Losing hair today is not a sign of Vit D deficiency (although there is a mild correlation with it. Most deficiencies correlate with worse hair in one way or another.)

"Why don't women get hair loss?"
They don't grow beards.

Notice that baldness is most common in Caucasian and Asian men. Those are the two races that developed in cold areas + grow facial hair. Africans lived in hot climate and didn't need more vitamin D. Native Americans don't grow facial hair.

My Regimen
Reaction score

IMO the one that jumps right out is vitamin D exposure. As you get older, you lose subcutaneous fat and you tend to get colder in the winter, so you stay more bundled up. You also get more of a beard. You tend to have less skin exposed in the winter than you did as a child, which leads to Vitamin D shortages. But if your hair coverage recedes as you get older then it gives you more skin showing. That would explain baldness pretty well.

"What about guys who bald really young?"
What about it? Evolution isn't perfect. In prehistoric times most men were dead by 35-40 and they were already reproducing by 15-20.

"Why don't Vitamin D supplements help?"
The process is genetically baked-in. Losing hair today is not a sign of Vit D deficiency (although there is a mild correlation with it. Most deficiencies correlate with worse hair in one way or another.)

"Why don't women get hair loss?"
They don't grow beards.

Notice that baldness is most common in Caucasian and Asian men. Those are the two races that developed in cold areas + grow facial hair. Africans lived in hot climate and didn't need more vitamin D. Native Americans don't grow facial hair.
There's more baldness between african americana than asians

cyclonus

Reaction score
My two cents on this: I think many men don't really "lose" hair on their sides, it's more becoming a "structure" like beard hair, which is naturally thinner. The lose doesn't resemble that on top of the head. Even people with no apparent loss on top often have thinner sides.

INT

Reaction score
Most people would think that baldness is caused by chronic scalp tension which miniaturize hairs on the top of head.
Some experts believes gravity is cause of baldness because it causes pressure on hair follicles due to gravitational pull.
If all there theories are true then why men loose hairs from sides? Side should have thick hairs like those remain on back of the head.

They are not experts if they believe in the gravity theory.

DogoDiLaurentiis

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Telogen effluvium can cause it all over, as well as alopecia areata, but honestly what I discovered about my shedding on the sides?

It was my thyroid, and both too high and too low will cause that.

DogoDiLaurentiis

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have a thyroid disease and I lose hair on my sides. That means I can't get a hair transplant. f*** retrograde.

Estrogen, balance your thyroid hormones, find out if you're hypo or hyper.

If you have hashi's may god bless you.

Poppyburner

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

It didn't occur to our ancestors to use head coverings to stay warm?

DogoDiLaurentiis

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It didn't occur to our ancestors to use head coverings to stay warm?

I don't think vit d deficiency has an "adaptive" measure to increase sun exposure through increasing hair loss, vitamin d is an anti-inflammatory hormone and basically all forms of hair loss, well nearly, are based on excessive inflammation, basically DHT creates inflammation through creating excess sebum and DHT itself can induce inflammation.

If you don't have enough vit d, your inflammation gets worse but it's not entirely on vitamin d to solve that problem, estrogen plays a role as well for androgen sensitive people. But vitamin d itself also stimulates hair growth, so the theory that the body adapts to intake more vitamin d by losing hair doesn't make sense, it's literally the other way around, because if your vitamin d status is good, you will keep your hair, why would your body handicap itself from optimizing vitamin d levels by keeping your hair line where it has always been?

Hairline recession is just a sign that something is amiss and needs to be corrected.

Also I forgot to mention, yeah just low nutrients in general including vit d can cause diffuse hair, but I figured most people would just know that.

Last edited: