Why is it so hard to grow hair on the front/hair line?

e reed

Established Member
Reaction score
what's the deal with that? I've heard a few people say the only way to get any back is surgery. Is this true? I sure hope not. I know people say rogain foam works on the temples, but what about hair lines? I've got a quite a widow's peak that is receding and starting to thin. I'm trying to maintain, but I hope that there is some thing that can help me regrow in that area. Any other frontal receders/thinning?

G

Whats the point? Eventually it will be gone, so just pay for the surgery like me. f*** the chemical wig.

e reed

Established Member
Reaction score
YeahButHesBack said:
Whats the point? Eventually it will be gone, so just pay for the surgery like me. f*** the chemical wig.

You had some replacement on the hair line? Did it work out for you?

Lucky_UK

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I had hair transplant to my hairline about 10 months ago, I just hope the meds keep further hairloss at bay.

G

WTF? I thought hair transplant is like nwo (fahfahfah..4 life).

Since when are results not permanent?

"ewwwwwwwww ewwwwwwwww yeeeeeeeeeeeeah!!!!"

G

YeahButHesBack said:

I think lucky_uk only got grafts on his hairline so further loss behind it is possible, if not likely.

RadioRaheem

Established Member
Reaction score
e reed said:
what's the deal with that? I've heard a few people say the only way to get any back is surgery. Is this true? I sure hope not. I know people say rogain foam works on the temples, but what about hair lines? I've got a quite a widow's peak that is receding and starting to thin. I'm trying to maintain, but I hope that there is some thing that can help me regrow in that area. Any other frontal receders/thinning?

It's not true, as my temples/hairline had been receding for the past few years. Last summer and late last year it finally reduced to a level that was pretty bad. But since I hopped on my current regimen around Jan/Feb, my temples/hairline have filled back in. It hasn't completely re-filled, but it did quite a bit and it has continued to get better. I'm hoping that it continues too so that I'm back to 100%. I'm happy though at the moment, and my hair is DEFINITELY better than it was last year.

Pete

Established Member
Reaction score
e reed said:

more receptors , more inflammation.

Regards
Pete

Lucky_UK

Experienced Member
Reaction score
YeahButHesBack said:

Yeah the hair transplant hair should stay but like GHG says I may suffer more hairloss over the years so the meds are required for this, not the hair transplant hair.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
hair transplant hair has more DHT resistance than the original frontal/temple hair

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Also, Dr. Proctor says that there is some unknown hairgrowth inhibitor that exists in forehead skin, in a gradient centered around the eyes. That would presumably help explain the extra difficulty of maintaining temple growth.

e reed

Established Member
Reaction score
RadioRaheem said:
e reed said:

It's not true, as my temples/hairline had been receding for the past few years. Last summer and late last year it finally reduced to a level that was pretty bad. But since I hopped on my current regimen around Jan/Feb, my temples/hairline have filled back in. It hasn't completely re-filled, but it did quite a bit and it has continued to get better. I'm hoping that it continues too so that I'm back to 100%. I'm happy though at the moment, and my hair is DEFINITELY better than it was last year.

What is your current regimen?

abcdefg

Reaction score
There is an unknown factor that makes it harder to keep the frontal hairline? Is it worth taking propecia if your getting a mature hairline? I think thats what im getting but Ive diffusely lost a lot of hair in my opinion with lots of itching and white flakes of stuff almost like seb derm. I just cant decide if propecia is good to try or if im risking all my hair i have by using it.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Bryan, does Proxiphen help thicken hairs in the hairline or help maintain. Or is it just effective on the crown area. I have been on Propecia and minoxidil for almost 2 years and my hairline is thinning out and receding faster than before I ever started with these meds. I used to have much thicker hairline and now its getting worse with thinner hairs.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Sure, all legitimate treatments help thicken and maintain in the front, but that's the toughest area to stop balding. It doesn't always work, unfortunately. Sometimes you have to throw everything you've got at it.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Bryan, so do you believe there is no way minoxidil or Propecia could actually thin out a hairline permanently or actually make things worse permanently. We see so many posters on here complain that minoxidil or Propecia or the combo of both has thinned out the hairline and the explanation is always the genetics are more powerful than the treatments. I just am wondering on a person who has never had any hairloss until his late 30's or early 40's does this still hold true. That genetics can turn on late in life and these meds will not help maintain the hairline. You always read that people in their 40's are less likely to all of sudden have accelerated male pattern baldness. I am just wondering if maybe Propecia could cause some type of autoimmune reaction and cause your hairline to thin out more and the medication works in reverse.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
I've read hundreds of medical journal studies having to do with hairloss (directly or indirectly), and I've never seen even a single documented case of anybody's male pattern baldness being made WORSE by medical treatment. Yes, I've seen the anecdotes about that posted on hairloss sites, but I don't know what to make of them.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Bryan, I know it usually takes 1 to 2 years to see the benefit of Propecia and minoxidil but is it possible that someone with less aggressive male pattern baldness it may take longer like 2 to 4 years to see a bigger improvement due to a lesser obvious problem and those with larger hairloss notice improvement soon because they have an obvious baseline to compare to. I see alot of new hairs that are going terminal but is it going to take many years before those terminal hairs get thick enough on cycles to become a normal looking hair instead of a wispy thin hair. I have alot of new hairs regrown but they are skinny and kind of have a mind of their own and kind of stick out straight at the hairline. On new cycles will these hairs get better?

abcdefg

Reaction score
Now im no scientist, but it seems if you looked at frontal hair and the scalp and compared it to the scalp and hair on the crown there would be some things that dont match up. Now if we went through each of those we could maybe determine what this magical thing that damages frontal hair is how to stop it. Im sure theres lots of details of course but we dont know anymore then that in 20 years of hairloss research but to say its some magic thing at work in the front?

baldhater

Reaction score
It aint difficult at all to regrow frontal hairline. You just have to use Rogaine together with technique presented at save-your-hairDOTcom.