Why haven’t one of you High-Functioning autists solved hair loss?

Te1963

My Regimen
Reaction score
Vitamin D plays so many roles in the development of alopecia that I regard it worth detailing. Allergies induce vitamin D deficiency via a complex pattern of inflammatory signaling involving TGF-beta and prostaglandin production. Vitamin D regulates bone mineralisation and helps to maintain osteoblast calcium homeostasis. Vitamin D deficiencies have been linked to the development of alopecia. Vitamin D inhibits interleukin expression. Finally, mutations of the genes which direct construction of vitamin D receptors are directly implicated in patterns of non-male pattern baldness; reducing signaling/reactions resultant from binding of vitamin D and specific steroid hormones to those receptors. Although such mutations are specific to those types of baldness there have been studies of the specific genes which make alopecia areata more likely to occur. The list is quite extensive and it's likely that the more of such nonsense gene mutations are present in an individual the more predisposed the individual is to developing male pattern baldness. The real trick, in preventing this from occurring or reversing it, seems to be to understand the process, avoid allergens and toxins, and provide necessary nutrients to ensure bone and hair health.

Lokus423

My Regimen
Reaction score
There are already totally effective treatments like Elon Musk got. You just need to be rich and get a good transplant.
The best hair surgeon in the world costs no more than $20k tops. I don’t know where this myth came from that you need to be rich to get access to the secret formula

Te1963

My Regimen
Reaction score
Try doing a search for 'tslp alopecia' online. Stromal cells, a type of stem cell found in bone marrow, can become either osteoblasts, dermal fibroblasts, or pretty much a wide range of other cells in our bodies. Specific stimulations direct which type of cell they will convert into and allergy messes around with that process. Thymic stromal lymphopoietin (TSLP), in response to allergy, is produced by stromal cells in order to trigger the TGF-beta inflammatory signaling which dihydrotestosterone is part of. The pathway influences osteoblast and fibroblast formation from the stromal cells, also inducing abnormal calcification in soft tissue cells such as osteoblasts and fibroblasts. TSLP controls hair growth and is also involved in atopic dermatitis.

A Dr Taku Kambayashi heads a Japanese team which is testing a product called ABX-919 which is hoped may increase TSLP production in the skin with potential benefits including reversing androgenic alopecia. I have concerns regarding the long term safety of such a product but it demonstrates the direction of current research.

BaldingSadMan

My Regimen
Reaction score
Try doing a search for 'tslp alopecia' online. Stromal cells, a type of stem cell found in bone marrow, can become either osteoblasts, dermal fibroblasts, or pretty much a wide range of other cells in our bodies. Specific stimulations direct which type of cell they will convert into and allergy messes around with that process. Thymic stromal lymphopoietin (TSLP), in response to allergy, is produced by stromal cells in order to trigger the TGF-beta inflammatory signaling which dihydrotestosterone is part of. The pathway influences osteoblast and fibroblast formation from the stromal cells, also inducing abnormal calcification in soft tissue cells such as osteoblasts and fibroblasts. TSLP controls hair growth and is also involved in atopic dermatitis.

A Dr Taku Kambayashi heads a Japanese team which is testing a product called ABX-919 which is hoped may increase TSLP production in the skin with potential benefits including reversing androgenic alopecia. I have concerns regarding the long term safety of such a product but it demonstrates the direction of current research.
Any type of relation to Sjorgens syndrome? Noticed a few years ago my dermatitis issues were getting bad on my hands now it feels like my joints are always cracking

Feramon1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Many people have experimented with vitamin D, and in high doses of 15,000+. I don’t know about the general condition, but it didn’t solve the situation with the hairloss. But, it's interesting at least.

Jakejr

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It’s really amazing you don’t have to be a genius to figure out male pattern baldness... On the simplest level we can surmise it’s a genetic selection to induce women to be attracted to males for childbirth. Thus women have much thicker & faster growing hair. And what is the main difference between men & women … hormones. Ofcourse there can be a zillion other minute reasons, but that’s the basics. Until we start there we are just whistling past the graveyard of millions of failures.

Te1963

My Regimen
Reaction score
BaldingSadMan, I had to do some research after your query. I've heard of Sjogren's but had never taken a look at it before. Interesting. The pattern of hair loss is very different from Areata but the causes appear to be either similar or the same. Fascinating that mesenchymal stem cells are being investigated as a potential treatment for both Sjogren's and alopecia areata as the stromal cells I discussed are mesenchymal; meaning that they possess a great flexibility in their potential for becoming other types of cells throughout the body. That makes me think that the key to our conditions may lie within our bone marrow, where the stromal cells form and are differentiated for whichever uses our body has for them.

Ruxolitinib and tofacitinib are medications developed for bone marrow disease, myelofibrosis. They have both been tested for reversing hair loss in animals and are in testing for humans. I remember, around the time when my own hair loss commenced, a crazy GP who was absolutely determined to prove that I had leukaemia, despite multiple blood tests proving otherwise. In hindsight he may not have been too far off. Coeliac disease, which I only learnt I had when I was 48, suppresses bone marrow; a condition referred to as myelotoxicity. It involves a reduction in the activity of bone marrow due to reduced JAK pathway signaling. The two detailed medications affect that signaling, in both restoring normal bone marrow function and hair growth.

Ferramon1, You're right. I'm not claiming that vitamin D is a solution to hair loss, just a part of the whole picture. Excess vitamin D can actually stimulate bone marrow disease as much as vitamin D deficiency can, potentially triggering hair loss. There is a complex relationship between vitamin D and the JAK pathway which induces both bone marrow disease and hair loss and genetic mutations, which influence that pathway, definitely play factors in determining how much is required and how much is too much.

Te1963

My Regimen
Reaction score
Researching what I believe to be the most likely cause of alopecia I have been led to the ph levels of the skin. Levels of both acid and alkaline ceramidase affect skin health. Alkaline ceramidase has specifically been identified as relating to alopecia. These two enzymes either convert ceramide to sphingosine or the reverse, dependent upon the ph levels of the skin. Altered expression of the enzymes disrupts this conversion. Alkaline ceramidase is inhibited by excess zinc, copper, manganese, or sphingosine, levels. On top of this, ph levels influence a wide range of the factors which I have explored as causative of hair loss and even things like the wrong type of shampoo, containing harsh/toxic chemicals, can seriously alter those levels. Hairs ph level sits between 4.5 and 5.5, which also appears to be the healthiest range for the skin. Toxic chemicals, nutrient deficiencies, and so on, are all going to affect those levels. ASAH1 (for acid ceramidase) and ACER1 (for alkaline ceramidase) gene's affect actual levels of the enzymes which are present in the skin but the ph levels appear to tell the enzymes whether to convert sphingosine into ceramide or the reverse. Since both of these types of sphingolipid are required for maintaining skin health as well as hair follicle production the conversion is likely to be crucial to hair growth.

I have been reading claims that various forms of diluted baking soda, applied topically, have anecdotally worked to reverse hair loss. Baking soda has a moderately high ph, alkaline, which would raise the skins ph levels slightly when applied in this diluted form. I have also read about the use of various forms of diluted acids, such as apple cider vinegar, in restoring natural ph levels via topical application. All of this is likely to depend upon the cause of a particular case of hair loss. I have also read about cases of orally ingested baking soda which have induced alopecia so I believe that such use, for hair loss, should be avoided. Trichologists attempt to restore normal hair growth by trying to restore healthy ph levels in the body, presumably restoring that ph level in the scalp. I know, from experience, how questionable their skill is at accomplishing this; it's just too difficult knowing all of the variables involved in a particular case. The one who I tried, like myself, had no idea that I suffered from coeliac disease, which was inducing my hair loss.

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
the most likely cause of alopecia I have been led to the ph levels of the skin.
Interesting, but always need ask ourselves, common hair loss have a secial pattern. There are differences on the pH levels in scalp?
My theory stablish that pH in pilosebaceous units came more acidid and oxidized in bald areas due problems with sebum .

Te1963

My Regimen
Reaction score
Armando, That's really interesting. I understand a fair bit about general causes of disease but am still relatively new to trying to understand the specifics of hair loss. Just like most disease the picture is pretty complex. I haven't heard of the pilosebaceous glands before so it was quite an education to research them. In trying to understand them I learned that LGR6 peptide related stem cells produce all types of cells in the skin, including hair follicles. The trick seems to be in trying to understand the specific factors which influence the stem cells to convert into specific types of cells, or not to.

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
Good journey.
My advice is ask ourselves regarding the special pattern of common hairloss and the diferent incidence between sexes as aid to know about this maladie.

Te1963

My Regimen
Reaction score
The pattern of common hair loss (alopecia areata) is actually quite easy. Take a look at a diagramatic representation of muscles around the scalp. Hair remains where the muscle is but recedes where there is only skin with bone beneath it. That seems to be the reason why hair loss seems to tie in so closely to issues like osteolysis (removal of calcium from bone). Much research ties hair loss to oxidative stress and what they call dyslipidemia. I hate that word because it doesn't even begin to communicate all of the possible forms of lipid/sphingolipid which can be disrupted. I have been reading about how scalp health dyslipidemia can involve only partially formed types of these lipid compounds, so resulting in issues with their failure to perform the tasks which they were designed to do. Squalene, a lipid produced to protect the skin, is converted by oxidative stress and UV exposure to become squalene peroxide. Squalene peroxide is found in high levels in cases of alopecia, dandruff, and dermatitis. Even though it seems to be present in similar quantities in both bald and haired locations of the scalp it generally only seems to affect hair follicles where there is no muscle beneath the skin. Squalene peroxide is also implicated in causing sebum to block pores of the skin.

Te1963

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm fascinated by a recent thread about a Harvard study which demonstrates that a protein called GAS6, growth arrest specific 6 protein, has shown promise to reverse hair loss permanently. I've taken a quick look at research on the protein and it is expressed in bone, bone marrow, osteoblasts, etc. It's presence in cells experiencing oxidative stress is linked to their development into cancerous cells. I don't believe that the study will lead to us being presented with a cure for baldness, as has been claimed, but I do believe that it will probably lead to huge advances in understanding the factors which lead to baldness.

Te1963

My Regimen
Reaction score
Looking into the reasons for a likely GAS6 protein involvement in hair loss I found a lot of very interesting information. Firstly, a lot of websites link vitamin K deficiency to alopecia. There is a very good reason for this. The body uses a range of vitamin K dependent proteins in roles involving healthy calcium management at a cellular level. These include osteopontin, GLA proteins, and GAS proteins (note, searching online add a single digit number after the GAS otherwise you get search results discussing flatulence). Allergies, like Coeliac disease, induce a wide range of nutrient deficiencies, including that of vitamin K. It always catches me by surprise whenever I identify a nutrient dependent set of factors. A while ago I was researching zinc dependent enzymes, and the wide range of effects of zinc deficiency in the body. Once you start investigating the effects of the vitamin K dependent proteins on hair, and alopecia, the results prove quite interesting. Since vitamin K calcium regulation is also dependent upon factors such as vitamin D and magnesium, along with many other lesser nutrients, there is really quite a complex picture which appears; connecting issues with healthy bone and cartilage construction and hair loss.

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
Researching what I believe to be the most likely cause of alopecia I have been led to the ph levels of the skin. Levels of both acid and alkaline ceramidase affect skin health. Alkaline ceramidase has specifically been identified as relating to alopecia. These two enzymes either convert ceramide to sphingosine or the reverse, dependent upon the ph levels of the skin. Altered expression of the enzymes disrupts this conversion. Alkaline ceramidase is inhibited by excess zinc, copper, manganese, or sphingosine, levels. On top of this, ph levels influence a wide range of the factors which I have explored as causative of hair loss and even things like the wrong type of shampoo, containing harsh/toxic chemicals, can seriously alter those levels. Hairs ph level sits between 4.5 and 5.5, which also appears to be the healthiest range for the skin. Toxic chemicals, nutrient deficiencies, and so on, are all going to affect those levels. ASAH1 (for acid ceramidase) and ACER1 (for alkaline ceramidase) gene's affect actual levels of the enzymes which are present in the skin but the ph levels appear to tell the enzymes whether to convert sphingosine into ceramide or the reverse. Since both of these types of sphingolipid are required for maintaining skin health as well as hair follicle production the conversion is likely to be crucial to hair growth.

I have been reading claims that various forms of diluted baking soda, applied topically, have anecdotally worked to reverse hair loss. Baking soda has a moderately high ph, alkaline, which would raise the skins ph levels slightly when applied in this diluted form. I have also read about the use of various forms of diluted acids, such as apple cider vinegar, in restoring natural ph levels via topical application. All of this is likely to depend upon the cause of a particular case of hair loss. I have also read about cases of orally ingested baking soda which have induced alopecia so I believe that such use, for hair loss, should be avoided. Trichologists attempt to restore normal hair growth by trying to restore healthy ph levels in the body, presumably restoring that ph level in the scalp. I know, from experience, how questionable their skill is at accomplishing this; it's just too difficult knowing all of the variables involved in a particular case. The one who I tried, like myself, had no idea that I suffered from coeliac disease, which was inducing my hair loss.
What do you wash your hair with?

Te1963

My Regimen
Reaction score
I lost my hair so long ago I have shaved my head for decades. Besides, onset of Parkinson's disease resulting from work exposures kind of messed up a lot of my plans and abilities. I'm more or less studying the hair loss now since I have had to already learn so much about cellular mechanisms resulting from the work exposures. As I mentioned, earlier in the conversation, I lost my hair in my late teens due to Coeliac disease and only identified that allergy at the age of 48.

Te1963

My Regimen
Reaction score
Recalling how friends pointed out to me a small indentation on the back of my skull during the period when I lost my hair, decades ago, I dug further into the available research on this. There are only a certain range of conditions which can induce such indentations. One of these is called osteomalacia. There are a number of things which can cause this. Knowing that the cause of my hair loss was the coeliac disease I looked for a correlation between the three conditions. It seems to be an enzyme called alkaline phosphatase. Elevated levels appear in alopecia, coeliac, and osteomalacia. In all probability we probably don't experience a sufficiently severe impairment of bone metabolism for it to be diagnosed.

Alkaline phosphatase influences the differentiation of stromal cells as well as their degree of bone forming capacity. High levels of alkaline phosphatase is found in scalps of people with alopecia areata. High levels of alkaline phosphatase induces calcification of fibroblast cells. If you look online you will find webpages about scalp calcification being the cause of hair loss. It seems as though the increased levels of the enzyme induces calcification of soft tissues instead of the bone. Sonic hedgehog signaling seems to induce the production of alkaline phosphatase in order to influence stromal cell differentiation in order to try to cope with whatever is inducing impairment of bone metabolism.

Ironically, the problem probably also occurs as a consequence of excess stress, which also increases serum levels of alkaline phosphatase. Whether this is psychological stress or physical stress appears to be up for debate as toxic exposures can also raise those levels. If you check the correlation between alopecia and cardiac issues you will find that this relates to alkaline phosphatase levels. Although they recommend a variety of measures for reducing alkaline phosphatase levels in response to cardiac problems it's a bit of a surprise that we aren't hearing similar advice in regards to alopecia.

The phosphate, which the enzyme provides for cellular reactions, is generally in balance with the bodies calcium levels. So disruption of that homeostasis can result in a range of health issues.

Jakejr

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
That’s all well & good.. but just conjecture not substantiation. You start with areata & end up at alopecia.. Low Alkaline phosphate is seen in liver & bone disorders- soft bones/teeth. One treatment is Vitamins n D.
It is a rare disease & male pattern baldness is a common disease(condition). Men lose their hair as puberty becomes the norm I.e. testosterone skyrockets.