Why doesn't this hair style look right on me? (pics)

Lloyd Braun

Established Member
Reaction score
So my dad really pisses me off because he keeps telling me I have a "great hairline" and I tell him that's utter bull****, which it is. I mean, some of you guys may think I'm a bit, well, unhinged, and some of you have even claimed I have no male pattern baldness. BUT, even those of you who think I have no male pattern baldness, surely recognize that my hairline is anything but great.

So I challenged this madness by asking him and my mom (who also says everything is fine with my hairline) why I look stupid with the same hair style with hair at the same length that my maternal grandfather used to wear--the slicked back side part. My dad said it is because my hair is thicker and my head shape is different--it doesn't have anything to do with my hairline. Now, that doesn't even pass the laugh test does it? I mean it is so frustrating that he would say that. WTF? No dad, the shape of one's hairline has absolutely nothing to do with how well a hairstyle that fully exposes the hairline looks. Not a damn thing. And even if it did my hairline is just so great... It's like trying to convince a liberal of certain truths that, for no obvious reason, allude them.

So, anyway, below is a picture of my maternal grandfather in his 30s and a picture of me. Can you all tell me whether it is my hairline or shape of head that makes it look good on him and bad on me. Keep in mind that I actually see quite a bit of myself in him from pictures of him in his early 20s while he was a soldier in WWII. He actually has a similar skull shape to me and he also has naturally handsome features--I don't have his huge Italian-like (even though he was Ukrainian) nose thank god)

beaner

Reaction score
If you cut your sides shorter it would look much better.

Lloyd Braun

Established Member
Reaction score
You guys are missing the point. I'm asking why that hairstyle looks good on him but not me.

jonnykino

Reaction score
cuz you're not him. you have a different shaped head to him. you have a larger forehead than him.

not everyone looks good with the same hairstyle.

Youngbuck

Reaction score
you have a high non-balding Norwood 2 hairline, quite similiar to mine. i suppose if you go bald it wont be fast but very slowly... however why are you cutting your hair like that? i mean that haircut can Possibly only look good on a Norwood 0 or a strong Norwood 1... try another haircut, please! it makes your temples look higher and exagerated!
oh and why are you comparing yourself to your grand father, you clerarly dont have the same hairline as he had :)

Primo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Hairstyle suits your grandfather because he has a medium sized, in proportion forehead. Men with forehead's like that can get away with most hairstyles even when they're receding.

You on the other hand have a larger forehead and so in order to keep things in proportion and take attention away from your high forehead and NW2 you need to grow a much longer fringe.

Don't worry all the celebs do exactly the same thing Ashton Kutcher, Tom Brady, Rihanna. As a NW2 most people won't even know you're hiding anything up there and I guarantee it'll look a lot better than your present hairstyle.

Primo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
TheGrayMan2001 said:
Tabris said:
What do you guys mean when you say "larger fringe"?

I've never heard of it referred to as a fringe.

I think he means bangs.

No, I definitely mean fringe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fringe_(hair)

They both refer to the same portion of hair, "Bangs" is just another one of those lazy americanisms. I've honestly never heard anyone over here call it that.

Lloyd Braun

Established Member
Reaction score
Youngbuck said:
oh and why are you comparing yourself to your grand father, you clerarly dont have the same hairline as he had :)

Yes, I know. That's what I resent.

Youngbuck said:
you have a high non-balding Norwood 2 hairline, quite similiar to mine. i suppose if you go bald it wont be fast but very slowly... however why are you cutting your hair like that? i mean that haircut can Possibly only look good on a Norwood 0 or a strong Norwood 1... try another haircut, please! it makes your temples look higher and exagerated!

If I had a non-balding hairline I wouldn't be here. And the whole point is that I would be a great candidate to have a nice Norwood 1. I deserve it. I would utilize it well. It just isn't right that I don't have it. Sure, I have so many things going for me but the hairline is needed for those things to do any good. It is a missing link. It is like a crucial support column of a beautiful building. It is only a tiny party of that building's greatness (if any part at all) but if it gets f'ed up then the whole damn building comes crashing down.

Lloyd Braun

Established Member
Reaction score
Bluecloud87 said:
What else do you have going for you?

Well, I have a likeable personality, I'm intelligent, I have handsome facial features, a perfect 4.0 GPA, ambition, etc.

israelite

Experienced Member
Reaction score
If I had a non-balding hairline I wouldn't be here. And the whole point is that I would be a great candidate to have a nice Norwood 1. I deserve it. I would utilize it well. It just isn't right that I don't have it. Sure, I have so many things going for me but the hairline is needed for those things to do any good. It is a missing link. It is like a crucial support column of a beautiful building. It is only a tiny party of that building's greatness (if any part at all) but if it gets f'ed up then the whole damn building comes crashing down.[/quote]

alot of products out there to give u nw1.

jonnykino

Reaction score
Okay, I realise that I've posted a fair few topics about my hair and have been told my hair is fine, yet I still come back because I over analyse and other crap, but dude.. in my opinion I don't think you're balding. You just seem to have a naturally high hairline/large forehead. The temples look more accented because on that hairstyle you posted you're rocking a part... but everybody who wears a full on part have their temples showing. It's the hairstyle. Plus. the angle you've taken the pic makes the temples/forehead more noticeable. I don't see a problem with your hairline. It's just high. If you grew it out a bit to cover a bit more of your forehead it would look fine. Another thing is, your grandfather has more length on top of his hair than you do. Your hair is really short. Minus the side burn things that are huge.

hairhoper

Experienced Member
Reaction score
He isn't balding and many of us have told him this again and again. Dude has Asperger's syndrome which seems to explain his obsession with his hairline.

Reinforces that we need to be careful of taking people at face value online. If Lloyd were to never have posted any pictures and hadn't stated that he has Asperger's we'd all have believed he was not only intelligent and eloquent (which he certainly is) but an male pattern baldness sufferer like us and that taking spironolactone could actually be a rational (if drastic) thing to do, sadly not the case.

Lloyd I think you should talk through this obsession with your mother. Does she know to what extent this is troubling you?

Lloyd Braun

Established Member
Reaction score
So, here is a pic of me from ten years ago. Yes, I have a high hairline but it didn't always use to be this bad. Also, another reason I have for posting this is to ask: does anyone see a widow's peak in this picture? It looks like I have one in it even though I can't see any signs of it in other pictures or my current hairline.

sylent

Established Member
Reaction score
I think you are a Norwood 2 no more, no less. However it seems like when you were a NW1 as a kid, your forehead was already pretty big. So big forehead + recession = looking like theres more hairloss than there is.

However, take comfort in this fact: only norwood spotters (other balding/bald guys) would say you are balding. To the regular person, and mainly women, you are just a guy with a full head of hair. Women dont divide it into different catagories like we do. To them its just having hair or being bald. Guys that are in the process of balding, Norwood 3s I guess, they would just think they have "funny looking hair". Trust me dude, you are probably the only one around you who notices any balding.