Why Does My Bald Spot Feel Much Hotter Than The Rest Of My Scalp?

d3nt3dsh0v3l

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Duuuudeeee... I've been wondering the same. But I figured it might be because since that region is lacking hair, you can put your hands/fingers right against the bare skin and perhaps you can feel the heat more without the hair in the way. But this isn't an answer! It's just what I think sometimes. But I agree; it is a pretty noticible difference.

Roberto_72

My Regimen
Reaction score
Two possibilities:

1. You think there is no inflammation but there is. The signs of inflammation can be: heat, swelling, pain, color
2. Isn't one of the functions of hair that of regulating heat?

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score
sunburn

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
My bald spot (vertex/crown) feels significantly hotter than the rest of my scalp; i don't have itch or inflammation. Does anyone feel something similar?

Note i'm not suggesting this is the cause of hairloss, i'm just curious if this is standard or if it varies from person to person.

Your actual hair is probably cool to touch so when you think you are touching scalp where hair is you are probably Not really getting the full effect as you are on bald spot.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
My bald spot (vertex/crown) feels significantly hotter than the rest of my scalp; i don't have itch or inflammation. Does anyone feel something similar?

Note i'm not suggesting this is the cause of hairloss, i'm just curious if this is standard or if it varies from person to person.
I would rub it while its hot. It might bring you some luck.:D

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
lol, no really guys, if i just hover the palm of my hand over my bald spot, without touching scalp or hair, i can feel the heat coming off, whereas when i do the same over nonbalding area it is cool.

i know its anecdotal evidence but just thought it was weird and wondered if i was the only one

LOL you make your bald spot sound like little men from outer space did something radio active at night while you were sleeping.

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Lol I know it sounds so weird but it's totally true. Its very bizarre

If you are really sure then you have some kind of inflammation going on.

does it ever itch or burn

@buckthorn always talks about a crawling feeling.

g.i joey

Reaction score
lol, no really guys, if i just hover the palm of my hand over my bald spot, without touching scalp or hair, i can feel the heat coming off, whereas when i do the same over nonbalding area it is cool.

i know its anecdotal evidence but just thought it was weird and wondered if i was the only one

Dht is literally and figuratively f*****g your hair, generally tends to be a heated environment

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
If you are really sure then you have some kind of inflammation going on.

does it ever itch or burn

@buckthorn always talks about a crawling feeling.

the crawling feeling is sickening. I have suffered from a TON of traumatic physical injury, but not ONE is even in comparison to the horrendous crawling feeling. It started when I was on finasteride. Never stopped.

Macaroni, it could be a few things. 1) if the temperature is really hot where you are and there is a lot of sun, hair protects you. You could be absorbing excess heat from the sun with a lack of hair in that area. 2) inflammation. Yes, it definitely increases surface temp of skin. male pattern baldness increases inflammation.

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
i f*****g hate my hair.
it used to be thick black hair, now it's dry thin gray sh*t with a massive bald spot in the vertex.
I think i have to go back to shave+tan. There doesn't seem to be any other way.
Might jump back on finasteride or if i could get my hands on it i'd try dutasteride
not that it makes a difference. It's a lost cause for me

why did you go off finasteride?

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
it wasn't doing anything for me; i had been on it for 18 months and i was still losing ground. I even stopped minoxidil - in retrospect minoxidil was probably the only thing that helped, though not by much.
Although the thickest my hair has been was when i was mixing up my own homemade pomades and applying it everyday; maybe i should mix up a batch.

try dutasteride

That Guy

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
The answer is obvious: It's angry because it's bald.