Why Does Balding Wasn't A Thing 20 Years Ago?

INT

Reaction score
And you completely missed the point he made.;)

I can't understand how it's so difficult for some people to understand that environmental factors can trigger genetic diseases. Castration stops hair loss in its tracks because it reduces DHT by over 95%. Finasteride reduces DHT by 60-70% and stops baldness for most people. Environmental factors affect DHT too. It's inconsistent to believe that finasteride can play a role in altering the progression of Androgenetic Alopecia, but other things that affect DHT levels can't.

No I did not;).

Finasteride should be taken (ideally) on a daily basis to impact DHT levels on a constant to impact male pattern baldness on a constant level. Name me one environmental factor that constantly impacts male pattern baldness like finasteride does...

WaccWaccWacc

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
And you completely missed the point he made.;)

I can't understand how it's so difficult for some people to understand that environmental factors can trigger genetic diseases. Castration stops hair loss in its tracks because it reduces DHT by over 95%. Finasteride reduces DHT by 60-70% and stops baldness for most people. Environmental factors affect DHT too. It's inconsistent to believe that finasteride can play a role in altering the progression of Androgenetic Alopecia, but other things that affect DHT levels can't. Don't give me the "degree of change" red herring. Just cutting out DHT by 20% is enough to slow hair loss in some people, and for some people even dutasteride isn't enough to stop it. For the former one of these environmental factors is the difference between balding or not balding. If you just have totally sh*t genes and belong to the latter group then you're going to go bald no matter what, but it might happen a few years sooner.

I am not saying environmental factors have no effect at all. I am saying the effect is very negligible in the following sense. If you have very poor hair genetics, you’ll go bald no matter what... seems like we agree on this one. Likewise if you have godsend genetics, eat solely 11 tablespoons of sugar a day and beat your meat for 3hrs a day you’ll still have your hair... I think we agree on this as well. Here is where we differ. If you have alright hair genetics but eat like sh*t/start masturbating you really think this is enough to make you go from a NW1 to a NW5/6/7?? Wouldnt you think ppl would clean up their diet by NW2.5 if this was the case? The guy said he started masturbating wt 20yr, experienced hair loss at 25. This is such a very very very typical age to start balding, blaming it on masturbating is nonsense and you wouldn't bet a dollar on it if you could.

INT

Reaction score
We mostly agree, but I think you underestimate how much things like steroid or p**rn abuse can mess with your hormones. I personally have good hair genes. You can go down the list and for all the biggest genetic factors that have been discovered I have the low risk allele on all of them. From personal experience I can tell you that after about 6 hours of edging my scalp tingles like crazy, and then for days afterwards. Otherwise I never get that famous male pattern baldness itch. It took me a while to connect the dots, but after years of struggling with p**rn addiction it was inescapable that the more p**rn I watched the more hair I lost. When abstaining from p**rn it stopped completely, but even on treatments I would still lose hair if I was watching a lot of p**rn. I think the gym played a role too, but I think that was a much smaller factor. I was working out 3 hours a day when I started losing my hair. I don't think that in itself would have done anything, but it didn't help when combined with p**rn addiction.

The brain is a powerful tool. Once I thought I had HIV from unprotected sex and for weeks I felt this strange tingly feeling in my lymph nodes. Once I got my results that showed I was negative I never felt them again.

WaccWaccWacc

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
We mostly agree, but I think you underestimate how much things like steroid or p**rn abuse can mess with your hormones. I personally have good hair genes. You can go down the list and for all the biggest genetic factors that have been discovered I have the low risk allele on all of them. From personal experience I can tell you that after about 6 hours of edging my scalp tingles like crazy, and then for days afterwards. Otherwise I never get that famous male pattern baldness itch. It took me a while to connect the dots, but after years of struggling with p**rn addiction it was inescapable that the more p**rn I watched the more hair I lost. When abstaining from p**rn it stopped completely, but even on treatments I would still lose hair if I was watching a lot of p**rn. I think the gym played a role too, but I think that was a much smaller factor. I was working out 3 hours a day when I started losing my hair. I don't think that in itself would have done anything, but it didn't help when combined with p**rn addiction.
I mean sure.

I have a friend who’s dad is slick bald and maternal grandpa is bald. He has worked out religiously for the past 4 years (2hr sessions, morning and night) weight lifting in a competitive fashion but is all natural besides the protein shakes and vitamin supplements. To add, hes in a 2yr relationship in which they boast about f*****g 3/4x a day. Hes a NW1. Like I said, its all case studies until a controlled experiment comes out, were all going to speak on experience and mind games.

Aqalp

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Nice red herring, but you get the point I made;).

Regardless, in addition to no p**rn in teens and early 20s, I was also on anti-depressants that killed my libido, and fapped only once or twice a month during that time.

INT

Reaction score
Except it never occured to me that p**rn and masturbation were harmful so why would my brain play tricks on me? It was actually a long time before I connected it to male pattern baldness, and I didn't want to believe it first either.

You probably read about it and then it reminded you of the few times when you scalp felt tingly after you masturbated and then you falsely connected the dots. Your scalp probably felt tingly many other times as well but because then there is nothing for your mind to connect it to baldness you did not give it much thought.

WaccWaccWacc

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Ok, but just because his grandparents were bald doesn't necessarily mean he had bad hair genes too, and f*****g 3/4x a day is nothing like edging for hours on end. After I first started losing my hair I stopped my p**rn addiction. My hair grew back with nizoral. For a while I stayed off p**rn. Met a great girl, was f*****g 2 or 3 times a day and masturbating a few more times, but not edging. The total was maybe 2 hours of sexual activity on average. It wasn't until I relapsed on my p**rn addiction and started edging for 3 times that long every single day that my hair started falling out again. There's a big difference between f*****g/masturbating and edging.
I dont have the will to entertain this any longer. Without controlled experiments, your experience is simply a case study. Leave it at that.

INT

Reaction score
Ok, but just because his grandparents were bald doesn't necessarily mean he had bad hair genes too, and f*****g 3/4x a day is nothing like edging for hours on end. After I first started losing my hair I stopped my p**rn addiction. My hair grew back with nizoral. For a while I stayed off p**rn. Met a great girl, was f*****g 2 or 3 times a day and masturbating a few more times, but not edging. The total was maybe 2 hours of sexual activity on average. It wasn't until I relapsed on my p**rn addiction and started edging for 3 times that long every single day that my hair started falling out again. There's a big difference between f*****g/masturbating and edging.

How many guys do you think edge for 6 hrs a day? And btw, can you post the study that showed that masturbating causes an increase in DHT?

INT

Reaction score
I've shown you the study that masturbation raises DHT. There are studies out there on adrenal fatigue as well. God could come down out of the sky and tell you that it is connected to hair loss and you would refuse to take your head out of the sand.

Oh have you? Where? And if God would come out of the sky with some peer-reviewed papers on this topic I would love to "take my head of the sand".

INT

Reaction score
I've posted it in other threads, go back and look. lol @ pseudoscience. You don't know what that word means. I'm not saying this is a fact, it's a hypothesis, and a damn good one.

So... You want me to look up the evidence for your argument myself...ha...ha. You are right, it is a hypothesis. But it is definitely not a good one but you are free to feel like it is.

INT

Reaction score
Except it's not the fact that it hasn't been proven that we are arguing. I readily admit that. You are outright stating that it's not even possible that it's a factor.

I am saying that it is very unlikely, especially since you use anecdotes for the bulk of your argumentation.

I will believe that when you show me peer-reviewed papers and double-blind, placebo controlled studies proving that it's not possible that my hypothesis is correct.

LOL.
I secretly believe that all dogs speak Chinese. My hypothesis is: All dogs speak the Chinese language. You on the other hand, believe that this is not backed up my proper science so you do not believe this.

"I will believe that when you show me peer-reviewed papers and double-blind, placebo controlled studies proving that it's not possible that my hypothesis is correct."

See how ridiculous that way of reasoning is?

Anyways, I have things to do. I can't go around in circles all day.

Interesting how much time you have to argue and write hypotheses but copy pasting a simple study which should only take a few seconds is something you have no time for.

WaccWaccWacc

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I am saying that it is very unlikely, especially since you use anecdotes for the bulk of your argumentation.

LOL.
I secretly believe that all dogs speak Chinese. My hypothesis is: All dogs speak the Chinese language. You on the other hand believe that this is not proven.

"I will believe that when you show me peer-reviewed papers and double-blind, placebo controlled studies proving that it's not possible that my hypothesis is correct."

See how ridiculous that way of reasoning is?

Interesting how much time you have to argue and write hypotheses but copy pasting a simple study which should only take a few seconds is something you have no time for.

this. just this. felt like it needed more than a like, sry for spamming. lol

Reactions: INT

Haironnu

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I know people who have smoked for 20 years and have great skin. I guess smoking doesn't cause wrinkles.

just further proves it's all about genetics which is my point. if you have sh*t genetics, no diet or life style will prevent them, and if you have great genetics no shitty life style will dramatically affect them.

WaccWaccWacc

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
just further proves it's all about genetics which is my point. if you have sh*t genetics, no diet or life style will prevent them, and if you have great genetics no shitty life style will dramatically affect them.
Or any elite professional NBA player. If you look at top 20 players of all time and look at their heads there quite literally all bald. You think their diet was bad? No chance. Theyre simply given god level physical genetics and sh*t level hair genetics.

Niki99

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Or any elite professional NBA player. If you look at top 20 players of all time and look at their heads there quite literally all bald. You think their diet was bad? No chance. Theyre simply given god level physical genetics and sh*t level hair genetics.
Well Bird, Duncan, Dirk, Bill Russell, Elgin Baylor, Julius Erving, Hakeem, Thomas, Gervin, Oscar Robertson, Stockton, Curry, Wilt, LeBron (although he would be normally) and KD are not/were not bald during their career and they are all top 20. Seems pretty normal to me.

I still think that it is mostly genetics.

Last edited:

LeeVanCleef

My Regimen
Reaction score
It does often seem like people are balding younger, but think it could just be that people are much more self-conscious and shaving earlier into male pattern baldness which makes it seem like there's more baldies. Back in the days guys would just grow their hair as usual which hides the balding sports, while now most young guys start shaving at nw3 and wouldn't be seen dead with a bald spot.

Capone

My Regimen
Reaction score
I’ve cut down on all the fruit I was consuming and low and behold my scalp hasn’t been itching. So that’s, no pizza, bread, chocolate and fruit. Grass fed beef, minoxidil and dermarolling it is. :D

baba_yaga

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I’ve cut down on all the fruit I was consuming and low and behold my scalp hasn’t been itching. So that’s, no pizza, bread, chocolate and fruit. Grass fed beef, minoxidil and dermarolling it is. :D
You cant be serious...

WaccWaccWacc

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Well Bird, Duncan, Dirk, Bill Russell, Elgin Baylor, Julius Erving, Hakeem, Thomas, Gervin, Oscar Robertson, Stockton, Curry, Wilt, LeBron (although he would be normally) and KD are not/were not bald during their career and they are all top 20. Seems pretty normal to me.

I still think that it is mostly genetics.

KD is thinning really really bad. Lebron is bald dude lmao, look at 2014 pics. But for naming sake, MJ, Vince Carter, Kareem, Shaq, Kobe, KD, LeBron, reggie miller, magic, ray allen, kevin garnett, gary payton, jason kidd, hardaway.

Sure not every great is bald, but a lot of them are and their diets/lifestyles are anything but inferior to the average human. Showing if not all, mostly genetics.

This thread is pointless anyway, last thing im saying in here.