Why Do We Have Hairs On Heads At The First Place?

Mandar kumthekar

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think this question has never been asked on this forum before.hairloss is common for men ,few can spared.
My question is why do have hairs on head at the first place? For sexual display? As head covering from sun exposure? Or evolutionary remnants?
Men lose hair because some evolutionary scientist think it could have been evolved in society to nudge females towards young males because older males have poor genetic material which cost species very much damage.but if that was true men would also have menopause like more mechanism which would have turned their sperm production. But that's not case because men can produce in very old age ,in fact sperm can still produced for some time after man has died.so the assuming that it was evolutionary mechanism to nudge females towards young males do not hold water.
I think if we know why do we have hair on top then hairloss puzzle could be solved. What say?

Paulito9x9

My Regimen
Reaction score
We haven't really evolved much since cavemen days. We're still pretty much running on the same hardware and software. And back in the day a 30 y.o. was considered an elder. A survival expert so to speak. So I believe there was simply little to no evolutionary pressure on men's hair surviving past this age.

So, why do we have hair in the first place? I'm guessing to protect our heads from the sun. Or perhaps it's something like peacock's tail. By having luscious locks you're broadcasting "Look at how good my genes are. I can afford to spend energy on useless vestigial organs."...I'm not sure. But my theory could at least tell you why it hasn't evolved to stay around longer.

Poppyburner

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
In addition to UV protection and attracting a mate, I rightly or very much wrongly think of scalp hair as primarily serving two functions:

1) Heat insulation for the body, by trapping warm rising air between the hairs.
Note how common it is for anorexic people's (and some other mamals I gather) bodies to produce very fine lanugo hair for warmth.

2) Acts like threat-detecting cat whiskers, to protect our precious brains from harm.

I've only once shaved off all my scalp hair and the result was a surprisingly frightful.
The scalp instantly became highly sensitive to physical contact, causing me to feel extremely vulnerable.

Maybe we ought try: microneedling, fasting away our scalp fat and regularly strapping cool packs to our heads?
JK

Last edited:

MeDK

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Your question makes no sense.

We know why we have eyes, and yet we still have eye problems across the world.

Hairs are to protect, sense and isolate our body.

I can't follow your reasoning to know why we have hair on the head. How is that going to solve anything besides curiosity

karatekid

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So, why do we have hair in the first place? I'm guessing to protect our heads from the sun. Or perhaps it's something like peacock's tail. By having luscious locks you're broadcasting "Look at how good my genes are. I can afford to spend energy on useless vestigial organs."...I'm not sure. But my theory could at least tell you why it hasn't evolved to stay around longer.
Attraction from potential mates cant really be a reason, nature doesnt work like that. human and animals are designed to be attracted to what considered good and strong genetically, not otherwise. nature (and science in general) isn't driven by purpose, only by causation. Females are attracted to mascular male because strength it is (or was) great advantage of course in the nature, and males are attracted to big breast because it can produce more milk.
There are of course lots pitfalls to this mechanism today since many traits that are considered attractive are usless and many important traits dont seen as attractive, but this is because the world changing much faster than the evolutionary adaptation, so our brain remain wired in an old, outdated way. Which will probably cause to the deterioration of the human species ( just a theory, im not really an expert)

Last edited:

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
My question is why do have hairs on head at the first place? For sexual display? As head covering from sun exposure? Or evolutionary remnants?
Very interesting question Mandar ....,
The hairs seem insignificant but our body uses a lot of effort to create them, we just need to know that they were created at the same time as the brain, heart, etc. or even early. There are some articles on this topic. It is interesting to note that the hairs are created in a spiral shape and the hairs are spread all over the skin except for certain areas such as the palms of the hands and feet, due to the evolutionary aspect. the hair on the palms of the feet is not compatible with our erect body, we could not walk with them.
But the question seems to refer to terminal hairs, it is true that in childhood we develop hair on the head and specialized hair such as eyelashes and eyebrows, but our entire body is hair, but miniaturized.
I believe that there are reasons for protection over temperature are obvious, but a very important and rarely commented one is because the hair on the head identifies us personally and helps to differentiate ourselves.

Poppyburner

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
human and animals are designed to be attracted to what considered good and strong genetically, not otherwise.

I feel quite sure that they're unconsciously attracted to the strongest compensators for their gravest deficiencies, in both genes and character, with a view to producing balanced offspring.

whatintheworld

Reaction score
Three main ones in my opinion:

1) protection from the elements (sun, cold)
2) Helps to frame our faces which better highlights attractive genetic features (so reproductive advantage)
3) Nice hair is general a sign of good health, which is another reproductive advantage.

disfiguredyoungman

My Regimen
Reaction score
A variety of reasons probably...I can only contribute my own speculation which will in parts be congruent with what others already said.

+ good indicator of health, youth and virility. Pre-civilized people in mating age would only lose their hair if they were seriously ill. At the time you'd lose your hair naturally as a hunter and gather (which seems to happen much later to people living under such circumstances anyways) you'd have already reproduced and be in your 40s or 50s sporting a decreased fertility. That's called evolutionary aftershadow, it really ain't that important anymore how your body changes after you reproduced successfully. Not few animals simply die, octopi, salmon flies etc...humans get infertile and ugly. Furthermore it's probably good for the survival of your group if your females are less inclined to mate with the tribe elders who'd have a higher chance to sire sick and disabled children.

+insulates pretty well. Living in central Europe with a bald head before the widespread use of fabric would suck pretty hard. During winter and summer.

+Keeps sweat from running into your eyes. Humans were persistance hunters that sh*t might have been really distracting to say the least.

karatekid

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Lol yeah nature does work like that.

Hair is attractive; both men and women. A woman who gets knocked up by a man who has good hair is under the assumption her resulting sons will also be attractive like her mate and so she (and her husband) can die in peace knowing that their bloodline is likely going to continue.

The other traits that you say indicate strong genetics are also found to be sexually attractive.

But apparently hair doesn't count because "dude, trust me"
You clearly didnt understand a word from what I was saying.
You should get some basic understanding of evolution and biology, and maybe get some basic sense of logic, before you discard everything I said

disfiguredyoungman

My Regimen
Reaction score
Attraction from potential mates cant really be a reason, nature doesnt work like that. human and animals are designed to be attracted to what considered good and strong genetically, not otherwise. nature (and science in general) isn't driven by purpose, only by causation. Females are attracted to mascular male because strength it is (or was) great advantage of course in the nature, and males are attracted to big breast because it can produce more milk.
That's a bit of an oversimplification there. Sexual selection often selects for traits that serve no discernable purpose or in many cases even make survival harder. Evolution often or least also rewards a male's capability to reproduce not necessarily his capability to survive.
Paradise birds turn themselves into bright targets carrying arround a lot of useless and hard to maintain weight in form of beautiful crests, tails etc. The idea behind it is basically that you have to be tough sh*t to survive with such an organic baggage on your body but it is paradoxical, you wouldn't need to be that tough if you didn't have all that sh*t on you.

Squids and fish glow in the deep sea. It does sh*t for their survival, actuallly actively decreases their survival rate by evoking the attention of a lot of predators, but it's their only chance of finding a mate and reproduce in the everdark deep sea, so that trait gets passed on.

You can be the toughest, most well adapted specimen ever that subdues all of his competitors if you are unable to find a mate or if females successfully run away from you because you are considered too ugly you won't pass on these genes.

karatekid

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
That's a bit of an oversimplification there. Sexual selection often selects for traits that serve no discernable purpose or in many cases even make survival harder. Evolution often or least also rewards a male's capability to reproduce not necessarily his capability to survive.
Paradise birds turn themselves into bright targets carrying arround a lot of useless and hard to maintain weight in form of beautiful crests, tails etc. The idea behind it is basically that you have to be tough sh*t to survive with such an organic baggage on your body but it is paradoxical, you wouldn't need to be that tough if you didn't have all that sh*t on you.

Squids and fish glow in the deep sea. It does sh*t for their survival, actuallly actively decreases their survival rate by evoking the attention of a lot of predators, but it's their only chance of finding a mate and reproduce in the everdark deep sea, so that trait gets passed on.

You can be the toughest, most well adapted specimen ever that subdues all of his competitors if you are unable to find a mate or if females successfully run away from you because you are considered too ugly you won't pass on these genes.

Ok so I will make it more general and clear now. The point is, in evolution, when we talk about 'The survival of the fittest', we dont actually talk about the survival of the organism, but rather the survival of the GENES. The gene is selfish, it will do whatever needed to pass itself on, and survive through the species evolution. So in this sense, the capability to reproduce will be considered a trait that would make the organism be considered 'fitter'. Which means a higher sperm count would be considered 'attractive trait'. Because it increases the chances for the survival of the gene.
A good example for it will be species in which the male is eaten by the female after mating, like praying mantis. In this case, the urge of the male to mate and pass his genes (survival of his genes) is stronger than his urge to live (survival of himself), and therefore a male who get to mate, passes his genes, and die, will be considered 'fitter' then his 'incel' brother who never get to mate and just keep living and die without offsprings.

The glowing of squids and fish - it's the same, as you explained it yourself, this trait has a purpose, which is to mate, so this trait is considered good because of this reason. It's not that female finds it attractive and therefore it exists, but rather it exists because it technically required for increasing mating chances, therefore considered attractive. I hope you see the subtle different in this logic.
The fact it has some minuses doesnt necessarily changes the fact it is positive (organisms which are relatively larger are physically stronger but slower usually)

Of course it has some more complexity to it, but bottom line, in regard to this thread, my point is that the saying
"A male organism has trait X because females are attracted to trait X"
is just wrong. It is a logical failure. why would females be designed to be attracted to a bad trait?
Instead the logic is:
"a trait X of the organism gives him advantage to pass his genes (which means more, and better offsprings), therefore females are attracted to organisms with trait X"

So while you had many valid points, your closing statement is just wrong. 'female running away from you because you ugly' doesnt have a meaning, because what is 'ugly'? it is what our brain is wired to see as ugly, but why would the brain be wired to see a positive trait (=good for genes survival) as ugly? According to evolution theory, it shouldnt be.

So lastly, I will refer to the paradise birds case - I dont have an explanation for it, it does sound like a paradox, I know that there are some exceptional cases that we dont have explanations for (Im sure there are some speculations) but it shouldnt invalidate the general concepts.