Why are people using oral Minoxidil?

Justheretohelp3

My Regimen
Reaction score
Just curious - why are people on this forum taking oral minoxidil and where are they getting it from? It's not approved for hair loss so what's the deal?

jazz1

Reaction score
I prefer Topical.....

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
Decent results for most, less hassle, not everyone responds to topical(although tretinoin can help with that)

michel sapin

My Regimen
Reaction score
Decent results for most, less hassle, not everyone responds to topical(although tretinoin can help with that)
hey bro according to you 1.25 oral min is stronger or at least same result as 4 ml topical 5% daily? i am 100% doing the switch to oral after full allergy with topical, but i don't know how to switch, because i used the topical on my whole head for 5 years now, so many hair are dependant..

Topher

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I tried it for almost a year, did have sides. Didn't have good results even with dutasteride and spironolactone. I tried it because it was all oral and super easy, just pop three pills in the morning and off I go. But it wasn't effective so I stopped. I woke up one morning and it looked like I'd been punched in the face 5 times minus any bruising.

Last edited:

el_duterino

Reaction score
I took oral, 5mg a day for 2-3 months. It works, its super cheap, convenient
i got the face side effects after a while, and sometimes the heart beat issues. Went back to topical

Flamingflaps

Established Member
Reaction score
For those that quit oral minoxidil, did you all replace with liquid minoxidil?

I quit oral minoxidil after taking 1.25mg for 6 months. I didn't really have a shed or notice a lot of regrowth during those 6 months...Its been 6 weeks since quitting and strangely right now I'm pretty happy with how my hair looks... could I still be due a minoxidil shed?

Unfortunately, I'm allergic to topical minoxidil so that isn't an option, and oral just didn't really sit right with me. I've been using stemoxydine and microneedling since quitting the oral minoxidil.

Topher

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
For those that quit oral minoxidil, did you all replace with liquid minoxidil?

I quit oral minoxidil after taking 1.25mg for 6 months. I didn't really have a shed or notice a lot of regrowth during those 6 months...Its been 6 weeks since quitting and strangely right now I'm pretty happy with how my hair looks... could I still be due a minoxidil shed?

Unfortunately, I'm allergic to topical minoxidil so that isn't an option, and oral just didn't really sit right with me. I've been using stemoxydine and microneedling since quitting the oral minoxidil.
Did your topical minoxidil have propylene glycol in it?

Flamingflaps

Established Member
Reaction score
Did your topical minoxidil have propylene glycol in it?
I've tried all kinds of topical minoxidil formulations over the years. No PG, low alcohol, even nanoxidal - everytime I get severe scalp irritation even with a couple of drops of the liquid.

Annoyingly I was a super responder to topical minoxidil. I remember my mum being in awe of my hair during the peak results. It wasn't until I tried incorporating retin-a into my regimen that the dandruff started, followed by rashes and swollen, sore eyelids.

I'm guessing I probably have to wait until the 3rd month mark before I'm out of the danger zone for a shed?

Last edited:

wilfred

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Oral minoxidil worked like a miracle for me but stooped due to cardiovascular sides.. now back using crap 5% topical that seems to do jack sht

Topher

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Oral minoxidil worked like a miracle for me but stooped due to cardiovascular sides.. now back using crap 5% topical that seems to do jack sht
Have you tried using tretinoin with it? You can also get 15% min. You should throw in CB or RU low dose.

Cbrowne

My Regimen
Reaction score
I’m currently taking 12.5% topical for a year now, can I send pics for you to see if it’s worth staying on it or trying minoxidil tabs

wilfred

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Have you tried using tretinoin with it? You can also get 15% min. You should throw in CB or RU low dose.
I've tried it yea...not long term though. Im slowly reintroducing topical minoxidil again to see what I can handle..back on 5% now seems fine. Later I'll bump it to 10% hopefully. Haven't tried trentoin with it, does it make much of a difference? I tried CB and RU but got sexual sides..although I may be able to handle it later.

Topher

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Tretinoin helps minoxidil non-responders to convert minoxidil to minoxidil sulfate, 15% is stronger than 5%. RU can compete against testosterone at the androgen receptor site.

Selb

My Regimen
Reaction score
Tretinoin helps minoxidil non-responders to convert minoxidil to minoxidil sulfate, 15% is stronger than 5%. RU can compete against testosterone at the androgen receptor site.
What’s your regimen if you don’t mind me asking?