Why are friends and family the rudest towards hair loss?

ponymaruni

Reaction score
I personally dont consider my current hair situation but friends and family always like to point out my hairloss. It really annoys me that the people that make jokes and point out your hairloss are family members in a rude way. My aunt say that im a future baldie, my brother criticizes my hairline and my cousins stay talking about my recession. My question is why is this? Are they trying to provoke a response or is it envy because people on the streets or at school dont say nothing about it or even notice it.

B

Beingbaldsucks

Your family is sh*t, my friend and my family never said a word

slipy

Reaction score
i assume your hair loss isn't very noticable yet. when it get's to that point of being noticable thats is when other random people will try to put you down.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
Don't even bother telling them how you feel because by the sound of it they will make fun of you for having feelings as well. Sorry your family are dickheads. Run away and find a new family.

Primo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Can't say I've ever had problems like that from my family, they've all been very supportive, especially my older sister, who you'd think as a young girl would be the least understanding of the bunch...

I do however have one a**h** friend who tries to crack jokes about my hair in public from time to time, this is obviously uncomfortable and embarrassing, but hey, he can't himself he's just an insensitive prick by nature.

In a strange way I think it's healthy to have a friend like this because it teaches you how to deal with baldness insults in that common social scenario where you're surrounded by strangers and your status and credibility is on the line.

Lets face it, there's always going to be at least one a**h** at a party or on a night out who's going to try and burn you with a hairloss remark, so it's very important that we learn how to take it with class and humour while delivering back a funny insult of our own.

Another example for me is my height, I'm only 5ft 8, but most of my family and cousins are all 6ft + I used to get a lot of sh*t (and still do) for being the short *** of the family and whenever stangers brought up my height it would crush me, but now at 25 I've overcome the height complex and I've learnt how to deal with these remarks in public without losing my social credibility and I'm hoping I can do the same over time with hairloss.

Michael84

Established Member
Reaction score
ponymaruni said:
I personally dont consider my current hair situation but friends and family always like to point out my hairloss. It really annoys me that the people that make jokes and point out your hairloss are family members in a rude way. My aunt say that im a future baldie, my brother criticizes my hairline and my cousins stay talking about my recession. My question is why is this? Are they trying to provoke a response or is it envy because people on the streets or at school dont say nothing about it or even notice it.

I think we have the same relatives, bro..
Sometimes I think that I could get used to my hair loss and baldness but not my dear "dickheads". I don't know how about you, but they see me as a stylish toy or a clothes that they can boast with before the neighbours. And when this toy (me) becomes worse because of something, they become mad and nervous because the neighbours will laugh at them. So I need to stay shiny and in shape for them. I'd love them if I didn't hate them so much.

seb

Reaction score
slipy said:
i assume your hair loss isn't very noticable yet. when it get's to that point of being noticable thats is when other random people will try to put you down.

Yeah,if ones family can ridicule their own family(people that are supposed too car about you),then is it so unbelievable a bald can be verbally attacked by random strangers.

ponymaruni

Reaction score
^^^ yeah michael it sounds like we may have the same family in that aspect. Annoying as hell and my hatred is slowly building up unfortunately

slipy

Reaction score
seb said:
slipy said:

Yeah,if ones family can ridicule their own family(people that are supposed too car about you),then is it so unbelievable a bald can be verbally attacked by random strangers.

honestly, im not even shocked by the ways of humans or mad at them like i was before. their idiocy is a source of amussement for me now.

Captain Obvious

Established Member
Reaction score
Only my grandpa makes fun of me but he's so old and senile now I don't think he even knows what he's saying, he's lost most of his social grace anyway.

Sometimes my 16yo brother will toss a joke my way, but that's it. Nothing I can't take.

My closest friends don't make fun of me either.

It seems like the ones who give me the hardest time are the friends that I don't see very often, like the ones from my school days. When I run into those guys at parties they always give me theat "damn, what happened to you?" and "you look so old now" BS.

Thom

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Probably because you make a big deal of it and show that it bothers you when they make a joke. This isn't to condemn you because it's the same with me.

Lately I've started using more self-deprecating jokes and my friends and family have no ammo left so therefore I hardly get picked on for it anymore.

seb

Reaction score
slipy said:
seb said:
slipy said:

honestly, im not even shocked by the ways of humans or mad at them like i was before. their idiocy is a source of amussement for me now.

Good for you if you have the emotional capacity too rise above it....Its a constant work in progress for me.

BrightonBaldy

Established Member
Reaction score
family ive no trouble with, theyre all bald too

friends? they can be bastards thats for sure.

when im around strangers, in work or when im out, i dont care about hairloss... i dont care about being 'the bald guy' really, i just hate being around people who knew me back when i had hair

s.a.f

Reaction score
What some people percieve as hurtful comments may be meant as nothing more than freindly banter.

slipy

Reaction score
seb said:
slipy said:

Good for you if you have the emotional capacity too rise above it....Its a constant work in progress for me.

yeah, but let there be no mistake. im not bald yet, and when i will be things could take a bad turn. i may have a really bad receding hairline but im fully aware that what's left of my hair is shielding me from constant hostility. im safe but only for now.

B

Beingbaldsucks

My real close friends never made fun of me Nither my family, that's Americans thing, your known as the most shallow idiotic people on the planet

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
Beingbaldsucks said:
My real close friends never made fun of me Nither my family, that's Americans thing, your known as the most shallow idiotic people on the planet

Agreed.
slipy said:
seb said:
slipy said:

yeah, but let there be no mistake. im not bald yet, and when i will be things could take a bad turn. i may have a really bad receding hairline but im fully aware that what's left of my hair is shielding me from constant hostility. im safe but only for now.

And agreed.... and let me say that since boondock left you are my second favorite nw2/3 on this site next to Man In Space. Sorry but he is just so damn intelligent and empathetic. I find the combo irresistable :gay: