Who's taking Proscar? And how much is it?

IrishFella

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Went to a walk in clinic today, doctor was a certified gent, told him I e-mailed a month or so ago regarding me buying Finasteride on the internet and how I was worried about the safety and quality of the drugs (I'm not really). He said he'd have no problem giving me a script for 4 months worth (120 tabs), seeing as I will be cutting them into fourths, they'll last much longer.

Whilst he was writing out the prescription, I told him that my GP laughed off the prospect of writing me a script, said it was worthless, useless etc, his reply? "Your GP seems like an inconsiderate pr**k", haha what a legend. :D

He also told me he himself takes finasteride, he was an Norwood 2.5, also diffusing, but I digress, back to my question, for whoever is taking Proscar, 5mg, how much does one month supply cost you? I know I'm based in Ireland but I'm certain the prices would be similar worldwide.

Any answers would be appreciated.

Kuit

Reaction score
I know from other people that prescribed 30 tablets propecia 5mg is 35/40 euro's here in holland. That would be like 10 euro's a month.

Bowser

Established Member
Reaction score
Good question.

Paid around £90 online for years supply of finasteride 1mg last year. Have been ordering smaller quantities since- typically 3 months worth of finpecia for about £30.

But with the new parcel costs here in uk this is going to increase by a small sum.

Uk finasteride sent by a qualified GP is selling for about £230 per year for year finpecia. I think.

Can't be doing with the pill cutting.

dorombl

Reaction score
Proscar is about 20 Euros in Hungary, but there are other generic finasterides. The one I take is also 5 mg /30 tablets, it is made by a hungarian factory and its price is 10 Euros.

IrishFella

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks lads, so I'd be looking at around €30-50 for a months supply of Proscar, cut into fourths so 1 pill would last for 4 days, so 30 pills would for roughly 120 days. That's not bad at all.

As for cutting, I used to take 0.5mg of Finpecia, so I've gotten the hang of it, infact, it comes out perfect.

Anyone else who takes it, let me know how much brand Proscar costs you. I tried ringing a chemist but they wouldn't quote me, pharmacist hasn't got time or some other bull****, and a Google search brings nada results.

Quantum Cat

Reaction score
I thought walk in clinics only dealt with sex related stuff :woot:

never used branded Proscar, but generic finasteride, which is the same thing, can be had very cheaply in the UK with a private prescrip from your GP. £5 for about 9 months worth

there's also http://ukfinasteride.info/prescriptions/index.php? who sells Proscar with prescription

and Dr. Ashcroft (see this thread http://stophairlossnow.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=5012 )

but I'm not sure if either will post to Ireland. If you know someone north of the border, you could get it sent to them, and then send it on to you

Quantum Cat

Reaction score
Is 0,25 or 0,5mg propecia effective as 1mg?

almost but not quite

Fincurve.jpg

IrishFella

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@ Quantum Cat

Unfortunately I don't have any mates or family that live in Northern Ireland. I'll just use the Proscar, **** it. :D

Also, walk in clinics deal with the lot, the doctor I saw was a dermatologist so he knew his ****, for lack of a better word. ;D

IrishFella

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
EDIT:

Found out four months supply is €81.40

That's quality for brand name finasteride, a years worth at that. :D

Double Edit:

Sorry for the double post! :O

IrishFella

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
OK, for some reason I can't pluck up the courage to go to my local pharmacy! The pharmacist that works there happens to be an Norwood 1, don't want the ****er silently examining my hair! :D

Guess I'll find another one nearby, preferably with an old guy who dispenses the pills!

@ Cassin, how much is a months worth of Proscar in the U.S? €20 here, expected the brand name to be more expensive, maybe the guy quoted me wrong but I specifically asked how much is a four month supply of 5mg Proscar, and he said €81.40c ...

Rawtashk

Reaction score
Not to be a dick...but seriously, grow some balls and go talk to someone. It's not your fault that you are losing your hair!!!! It's not like you ****ed something up and now they have the right to judge you. People are going to judge other people for something, NO MATTER WHAT!!! You are making it harder on YOURSELF simply because you are scared of going to talk to a pharmacist. This is stupid. Put on your big-boy pants, and go talk to someone about it. **** the haters, they don't know what it's like.

Also, I get a 32 day supply (8 pills of 5mg generic proscar) for $4 from a local WalMart pharmacy.

IrishFella

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Not to be a dick...but seriously, grow some balls and go talk to someone. It's not your fault that you are losing your hair!!!! It's not like you ****ed something up and now they have the right to judge you. People are going to judge other people for something, NO MATTER WHAT!!! You are making it harder on YOURSELF simply because you are scared of going to talk to a pharmacist. This is stupid. Put on your big-boy pants, and go talk to someone about it. **** the haters, they don't know what it's like.

Also, I get a 32 day supply (8 pills of 5mg generic proscar) for $4 from a local WalMart pharmacy.

My post was tongue in cheek, the moral of it was, I'm not going to use my local pharmacy that my family use, of course I'll go to another one ..... I already have some finpecia left, but if you think for one second that, as a first timer, it's not a nervy situation, then you're bull****ting. Talking about or acknowledging hairloss with another person is an embarrassing situation, just like when your boss pointed out your forming thinning spot on the crown before you started treatment, you posted that you were mortified.

I'm not going to wander in to the chemist nonchalantly, I know I'm going to be embarrassed as hell, but I WILL do it, of course ....

Rawtashk

Reaction score
You're right, I was mortified the first time that I discovered it...but that's about it. I feel no shame in talking about it. Like I pointed out, it's not like it's my fault this is happening. I'm doing what I can to hold on to what I have left. I was upfront about it when I went to see my new Doctor the first time in the middle of last year, and I got a script for proscar out of it.

The more you just "own" it, the less of an issue it becomes.

Sorry if I came across as overly harsh, it was just tough love :)

anxious1

Established Member
Reaction score
in aus 30/5mg generic costs around 70$, proscar brand around 90$.

u dont have to talk about it with the pharmacist, u dont have to say anything, just hand over the prescription, wait, and receive the pills, if they ask u if its ur first time taking it just say no.

sure theyll be judgin u, but everyone is. at least ur doing something about it.

also, according to that graph the best dose would be around 1.8 - 2 mgs. imo.

Quantum Cat

Reaction score
2mg is probably the optimal but also increases the chances of sides. 1mg per day is the dose Merck settled on as a balance. Even so, I think that could still be unecessarily high considering that it takes several days for DHT levels to return to normal, and if you experience sides it probably won't hurt to lower the dose.

1mg alternating with 0.5mg the next day is a good compromise I think. As I use 5mg pills I can't cut them accuretley into tenths so I've settled on 1mg per day, skipping two days a week (Weds and Sun)

ChrisW1980uk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I get mine from Inhouse. 30 tablets (so four months supply) works out at about £15 delivered to the UK. Takes about 10days to arrive. It works out cheaper ordering more, but I don't want to get stung for custom charges!