Who's taking Proscar? And how much is it?

ChrisW1980uk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
When I spoke to my GP about it, they told me it would be £30 for a private prescription. So it would be double what I'm paying now. Unless of course I got the wrong end of the stick. They weren't prepared to prescribe to me to have on the £8 prescription charge :/

Quantum Cat

Reaction score
you won't be able to get it on the NHS, but my doctor wrote a private prescription for Finasteride 5mg (not Propecia) - and when I took it to the pharmacy they only charged me £5 for two boxes

Kirby

Established Member
Reaction score
you won't be able to get it on the NHS, but my doctor wrote a private prescription for Finasteride 5mg (not Propecia) - and when I took it to the pharmacy they only charged me £5 for two boxes
Similar experience here! I got a (non-NHS) prescription from a dermatologist, for 3 x boxes of 28 finasteride tablets, took the prescription form to my nearest Superdrug, where I was charged £6 in total.

Quantum Cat

Reaction score
I'll ask for three boxes next time!! :woot:

to think I used to spend hundreds of £ on this stuff....

ChrisW1980uk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Oh right! Worth me looking into when my current supply runs out I guess. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Cheers mate!

Kirby

Established Member
Reaction score
to think I used to spend hundreds of £ on this stuff....
I know the feeling, I used to buy branded Propecia from Boots. :doh: There's no need to pay more than under a tenner a year for the stuff, legally and legitimately, which is incredible.

Don't forget to ask for a yearly (or six monthly) liver function test from your GP though! The dermatologist I saw said that the test is essential if you want to stay on finasteride for treating hairloss.

Bowser

Established Member
Reaction score
can finasteride screw up your liver?

I'm beginning to think it probably relies heavily on the liver for its removal from our systems. Since I've been taking it definitely noticed feeling pretty crap after having any amount of alcohol--- I mean like arm and leg cramps and the worst hangovers. It could just be in my head though. I'm no way a heavy drinker by the way-- may be 4-5 units on Fridays and that's it.

IrishFella

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

It's a very very mild drug, so it's highly unlikely nothing adverse will happen, I mean, it's a rarity. Maybe you if you're a chronic alcoholic you'd be in danger. ;)

But, you are taking a prescription medicine, daily, for a long period so it can do no harm getting checked out.

Kirby

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure how it can affect the liver as such, I'm just relaying what the dermatologist strongly suggested. Won't cost anything (well, in the UK), so better safe than sorry, as they say.

boobyinspector

Established Member
Reaction score
almost but not quite

Fincurve.jpg
That's serum levels of DHT, not the same as tissue levels. Since testosterone is also converted right in the local tissue, that DHT does not re-enter circulation. 5mg was chosen for proscar because it inhibited DHT at the local prostate tissue site at great levels than lower doses. This would apply to scalp dht as well, to what extent who knows.

- - - Updated - - -

Went to a walk in clinic today, doctor was a certified gent, told him I e-mailed a month or so ago regarding me buying Finasteride on the internet and how I was worried about the safety and quality of the drugs (I'm not really). He said he'd have no problem giving me a script for 4 months worth (120 tabs), seeing as I will be cutting them into fourths, they'll last much longer.

Whilst he was writing out the prescription, I told him that my GP laughed off the prospect of writing me a script, said it was worthless, useless etc, his reply? "Your GP seems like an inconsiderate pr**k", haha what a legend. :D

He also told me he himself takes finasteride, he was an Norwood 2.5, also diffusing, but I digress, back to my question, for whoever is taking Proscar, 5mg, how much does one month supply cost you? I know I'm based in Ireland but I'm certain the prices would be similar worldwide.

Any answers would be appreciated.
I get brand name as the uniformity of the pill distribution is more guaranteed since the FDA had to approve the full process not just bioequivalence. I get 90 tabs which last me a year for about 200 bucks at Costco. Less than a dollar a day. You can get generic way cheaper though. It's like 80 bucks for a year supply. When I say 1 year that's because I split the pill 4 ways. :p

Quantum Cat

Reaction score
That's serum levels of DHT, not the same as tissue levels. Since testosterone is also converted right in the local tissue, that DHT does not re-enter circulation. 5mg was chosen for proscar because it inhibited DHT at the local prostate tissue site at great levels than lower doses. This would apply to scalp dht as well, to what extent who knows.

so what do you think would be the best finasteride dose? 1mg per day? Would it be safe to get away with less without jeopardizing our hair?

boobyinspector

Established Member
Reaction score
so what do you think would be the best finasteride dose? 1mg per day? Would it be safe to get away with less without jeopardizing our hair?

It's all about weighing the risks/side effects with the benefits and merck chose 1mg for that reason. If you look at the merck studies there was a big coefficient of variance when it comes to bioavailability. Some are **** out of luck and don't get as much as the drug in their blood as others. This is why I take mine sublingually for 10 minutes before I swallow. Finasteride does convert to other metabolites in the liver and these metabolites aren't as active. These metabolites are also not studied well and who knows what they are doing. Here's a study where they find a bunch of metabolites previously unknown. http://dmd.aspetjournals.org/content/37/10/2008.full

IrishFella

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Just wanna bump this to say that I got my branded proscar today, was really ****ing nervous when I first walked into the chemist, but I just soldiered through it! haha :p the pharmacist was a pretty young thing so I was a little on edge, but just as I thought, she didn't give a crap.

So I have a years worth of finasteride, cost me €81 but it's worth it.

spanish

Reaction score
Here in spain we are lucky I just bought 28 brand name proscar for 9 Euros you dont even need a prescription.