Who is balding in your close circle?

kejan

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm 32 and started thinking about who in my circle of friends, and family are balding/bald?

Friends - I still keep in touch with about 12 close friends from school and college. 3 of us are balding. Myself - NW3 (thinning too), a NW5 and a NW3 (thick hair). The other 9 all have good hair. One has a small bald patch, but I think they are all NW1 or NW2s.

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
Of the two closest friends I have, one is about an NW5 and balding heavily, but luckily for him he's 6'5" with slightly darker complexion and looks like Jason Statham. The other friend of mine is 30 years old and already greying however he sports a god damn 'man bun' and has an ocean of hair, lucky bastard.

Cue Bald

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I'm in my late 20's, I have one NW6 short fat guy - been NW6 for 10 years - he has all the confidence in the world (aka jolly fat guy) but chicks just laugh at him. When I was NW1, we were at a party and he had been telling jokes, he was the life of the party, trying to get this girl, I was very shy and quiet. All night he tried to get her but failed, after a few more drinks she came up to me, hugged me, and whispered in my ear "you're very pretty". (I didn't lay her though as I was a shy idiot) - it goes to show that personality alone counts for jack **** - the other way around is a lot easier, but if your personality is as bad as mine, you will still have problems. So now I am basically NW5 my personality has improved but I now have the problem the jolly fat guy had. All the confidence in the world is for jack ****e when a more handsome guy comes along.

another guy has been NW2.5 for 10 years (finasteride?) his hair hasn't changed one iota from NW2.5.
The rest? all mature hairlines. Mostly scruffy hair though.

another guy I know is very handsome with wavy sandy blonde hair poking out of his beanie. He always wore a beanie and whenever everyone tried to take it off, he would grab onto it hard and he refused to let anyone take it off. I was convinced he had serious hairloss so I took it off when he wasn't looking and he had a solid NW1.5 of beautiful hair. Why he tries so hard to hide it is to me baffling. If I had that hair I wouldn't own a single hat. He was furious I took it off and snatched it back, but it was definitely no hairpiece, i could see no lace, no lifting, no skin bind and I got a very close view.

One baldie in my age group at work is married to a beautiful wife - but he is one of the 5% who suit a NW6 - a vin diesel look - he is one of the very small percent who looks better bald than with hair.

shookwun

Reaction score
@Cueball

Good stories. Always crack me up!

The fake pumped out chest, and over hyped persona that's full of confidence wont matter as soon as the handsome dude walks in. All attention will gravitate towards the handsome dude, and then Mr. pumped up persona will be left hanging, and onto the next flocks of birds.:woot:

it's so natural, and it takes very little effort when she's genuinely interested. Small talk, flirtatious behavior and subtle physical play and she's in the bag! These guys who try to put on shows, and keep her attention are just wasting their time, and energy because more often then not it goes no where.

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
Close calls hardly count if you can't pick up the invitational "green light" cues with the girl in the first place. When she opens her door for you and your timing misses a beat, the door closes fast on your face.
As much as you may want to believe you'll get a second try at playing the leading man with her, your gut already tells you that you're already blacklisted.
Listen to your gut.

F2005

Established Member
Reaction score
I have several friends that are bald/balding and their reactions to it are part of why I am so afraid to shave my own head. One guy wears a hat everywhere he goes, another guy has a wig that is so obvious that it is very detectable. Another guy: at the slightest sign of recession, maybe an NW2, he freaked out and eventually got a wig which he wore for 15 years. Now that I see him finally without the wig, he looks so much older and uglier. Another one buries himself underneath a hat yet he has longish hair usually put in a ponytail. I assume he has hairline recession and/or a bald spot. Another guy is bald and married and has a very outgoing personality yet you never know what is going on with him behind the scenes.

Only one guy that I know truly owned the bald look, grew a goatee, worked out, and actually has a very beautiful wife. We're actually not friends anymore because I kept talking to him about hair loss and he didn't want to hear it. I sought his advice because he was the one guy who actually shaved his head and made the best of it. And even though we are no longer friends anymore, I still saved the initial e-mails of advice that he gave me (before he got sick and tired of me asking him about hair loss), because he practiced what he preached and got women nonetheless. He backed up his words of advice with action, which very few people ever do.

shookwun

Reaction score
I have several friends that are bald/balding and their reactions to it are part of why I am so afraid to shave my own head. One guy wears a hat everywhere he goes, another guy has a wig that is so obvious that it is very detectable. Another guy: at the slightest sign of recession, maybe an NW2, he freaked out and eventually got a wig which he wore for 15 years. Now that I see him finally without the wig, he looks so much older and uglier. Another one buries himself underneath a hat yet he has longish hair usually put in a ponytail. I assume he has hairline recession and/or a bald spot. Another guy is bald and married and has a very outgoing personality yet you never know what is going on with him behind the scenes.

Only one guy that I know truly owned the bald look, grew a goatee, worked out, and actually has a very beautiful wife. We're actually not friends anymore because I kept talking to him about hair loss and he didn't want to hear it. I sought his advice because he was the one guy who actually shaved his head and made the best of it. And even though we are no longer friends anymore, I still saved the initial e-mails of advice that he gave me (before he got sick and tired of me asking him about hair loss), because he practiced what he preached and got women nonetheless. He backed up his words of advice with action, which very few people ever do.

Good example!

80% of the baldies are miserable

20% slip, and manage. Otherwise known as an exception.. usually a 1 in 10 out of the bald bunch. A rare breed!

So. Bald men are second class picks. Then it narrows down even further to a 1 in 10 chance to be that guy who has the build, facial structure, and height to pull it off.

Doesn't look to convincing.

So in essence we need to look like this facially to make it.

98081cf8478a5c78751438ab6f06f4e8.jpg

debyne

Established Member
Reaction score
My two older brothers are thinning and they're baffled and irritated as to why I'm not appearing to thin at all. I'm also the brother that works out like a fiend and has confidence with women (we're all married now). They've subtly asked me what they should do for hair loss and I shrug it off saying "I have a friend that takes Propecia and he says it works ok". Little do they know I'm on finasteride and minoxidil religiously...if they did the same, they'd probably not be thin at all haha.

Some might ask why I don't help them with my little secret? I say forget it...I did the research so I should get the results. Plus, I don't want them going to their wives and other members of the family saying I'm on all these meds for my hairloss...I'm not giving anyone the satisfaction. Let them wallow in jealousy and anxiety lol.

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
Yeah when it comes to family and most if not all hair loss matters it's probably smart to keep it off the discussion.
In my experience, confiding in a family member usually begets reverse consequences. You can love them, but you don't have to trust them.

Joan

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Would that work for you, F2005? I know big '80s hair was/is your thing (I had a "big perm" for many years myself!), and I don't think you mentioned what Norwood you are, but would you look horrible buzzed with a scruffy beard?

F2005

Established Member
Reaction score
Would that work for you, F2005? I know big '80s hair was/is your thing (I had a "big perm" for many years myself!), and I don't think you mentioned what Norwood you are, but would you look horrible buzzed with a scruffy beard?

Hey Joan, in theory the shaved head/goatee look should work for me. Other than rock n roll, my other main vice is weight-lifting and I've been relatively consistently lifting weights for about 20 years. So theoretically I should be able to pull off the bad-*** look. But I am just so petrified to buzz my head. I am afraid that I will look soooo ugly, a mere shadow of the man that I once was. But I know that I am going to have to buzz it sooner or later because I am losing hair and finasteride gives me terrible side effects. BTW, I've got to give a major shoutout to your home state of CT!! You've got a pretty vibrant rock scene out there!! That is why I hang out there semi-frequently.

Rudiger

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
You actually lost a friend by asking about hair loss too much? I mean ****, how did it get to that point? Didn't you get the hints he wasn't really bothered and then laid him off a bit?

Amazing.

blackg

Reaction score
Yeah when it comes to family and most if not all hair loss matters it's probably smart to keep it off the discussion.
In my experience, confiding in a family member usually begets reverse consequences. You can love them, but you don't have to trust them.
So true. Unfortunately, at the first sign of a disagreement with a family member, they will likely bring up your "weakness".
The ones we love are usually the ones that also bring us down the most.
Ironic, huh?

kmm179

Established Member
Reaction score
Ive actually noticed some of my friends suffering at ages 26. Saw just yesterday one has a spot on his crown. One is also a norwood 7. A couple other a hairlines going. Kinda made me feel better because mine isnt noticeable. Luckily seems to be progressing at a snails pace and im on finasteride so hopefully I have a while before.

Joan

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey Joan, in theory the shaved head/goatee look should work for me. Other than rock n roll, my other main vice is weight-lifting and I've been relatively consistently lifting weights for about 20 years. So theoretically I should be able to pull off the bad-*** look. But I am just so petrified to buzz my head. I am afraid that I will look soooo ugly, a mere shadow of the man that I once was. But I know that I am going to have to buzz it sooner or later because I am losing hair and finasteride gives me terrible side effects. BTW, I've got to give a major shoutout to your home state of CT!! You've got a pretty vibrant rock scene out there!! That is why I hang out there semi-frequently.

So all is not lost for you. You'll be a bad-*** rock and roller! You won't be ugly (I don't think any normal, healthy person is truly ugly), just F2005 with a new look. There's more guys with bald and buzzed heads walking around than Motley Crue-looking guys these days anyway. Lifting weights was (and is again) a big part of my life too (I started at 19). I slacked off after my divorce and then when I had my kids, but I always did something. Now I never miss. No clubs for me anymore, but way back I used to see Twisted Sister when they came to New Haven and some concerts at the old Coliseum. Once a rocker, always a rocker--you never outgrow it.

F2005

Established Member
Reaction score
So all is not lost for you. You'll be a bad-*** rock and roller! You won't be ugly (I don't think any normal, healthy person is truly ugly), just F2005 with a new look. There's more guys with bald and buzzed heads walking around than Motley Crue-looking guys these days anyway. Lifting weights was (and is again) a big part of my life too (I started at 19). I slacked off after my divorce and then when I had my kids, but I always did something. Now I never miss. No clubs for me anymore, but way back I used to see Twisted Sister when they came to New Haven and some concerts at the old Coliseum. Once a rocker, always a rocker--you never outgrow it.

Joan, you're too nice, thank you for the insight! You bring up some good points. It's just that I've seen so many people and friends whose looks have been terribly eroded and disfigured when they went bald or buzzed it. In my eyes, when one of my best friends got rid of his wig, he went from looking like a rock star to an old man, a completely different person. But you are right, there are many more people who sport that buzzed/bald look than looking like Motley, although I love the Crue!! I guess I just love that look and everything that goes along with it: the flash, the exotic look, the fashion, the extravagance, and the fun. I really should've been born much earlier!!! But your points are well taken Joan and I will keep your thoughts in mind when I finally do buzz it off.

That's awesome about Twisted Sister!! I've met all those guys and gotten photos with them. IMO, Dee Snider is one of the best frontmen ever and he's a very nice guy in person too. I even ran into guitarist Eddie Ojeda once at a rock dive bar in The Valley a few years ago. I saw them in 2015 and along with Motley Crue's farewell show, it was my favorite concert of the year. Who are some of your other favorite bands?

And last but certainly not least, how is your son doing? He must be home for winter break now.

Joan

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Joan, you're too nice, thank you for the insight! You bring up some good points. It's just that I've seen so many people and friends whose looks have been terribly eroded and disfigured when they went bald or buzzed it. In my eyes, when one of my best friends got rid of his wig, he went from looking like a rock star to an old man, a completely different person. But you are right, there are many more people who sport that buzzed/bald look than looking like Motley, although I love the Crue!! I guess I just love that look and everything that goes along with it: the flash, the exotic look, the fashion, the extravagance, and the fun. I really should've been born much earlier!!! But your points are well taken Joan and I will keep your thoughts in mind when I finally do buzz it off.

That's awesome about Twisted Sister!! I've met all those guys and gotten photos with them. IMO, Dee Snider is one of the best frontmen ever and he's a very nice guy in person too. I even ran into guitarist Eddie Ojeda once at a rock dive bar in The Valley a few years ago. I saw them in 2015 and along with Motley Crue's farewell show, it was my favorite concert of the year. Who are some of your other favorite bands?

And last but certainly not least, how is your son doing? He must be home for winter break now.

You are not your friends, though, so don't think you're going to look like them. My stepdaughter's husband is 38, shaved head (can't tell his Norwood, but I see a lot of scalp), and he has a baby face. He looks nowhere near his age.

I made sure to stand out of Dee's sight because he always nailed people standing up front. They always started with AC/DC's "It's a Long Way to the Top"--still one of my favorite songs. Love the bagpipes. Alice Cooper was my favorite back in the '70s for a short time. That's where it all started. Some bands I really liked were Kiss, Aerosmith (saw them and Joe Perry a couple of times), Ratt, Def Leppard, Rush, Ted Nugent (saw him), Guns N' Roses (saw them). I'm having a hard time remembering it was so long ago. But the best band of all time, past and present, to me is Led Zeppelin. On Spotify I have Godsmack, Pearl Jam, some Stones (not a huge fan), Audioslave, Metallica, STP to name a few. I like Tool as well. And I'm sure you've heard that Glenn Frey passed away (with great hair). First Bowie, now him--so sad to start off 2016 losing two talented musicians. RIP to both of them.

Thank you for asking about my older son. He left for school yesterday (sob!). He's back on Propecia, which was his choice. It's scary watching your hair get thinner and thinner, so he decided to give it a go again. I worry about the sides a lot, and it's downright pathetic that in 2016 that's practically all a guy has available if he wants to try to keep his hair. I'm praying this is the year something better comes along.

shookwun

Reaction score
Out of my friends that are advanced norwoods almost all of them are single. The ones who are low norwoods aren't gravely impacted and still managing to pull.

Seems like the only young baldites I know who manage to make ends meet are the ones who look like brute machines - mountains of muscle, and former walking Adonises. At one point, aesthetic gods walking among mortals but now average men at best.

Giveitall

Reaction score
Hi guys I'm new here. I have been thinning a bit and am getting worried. I thought of friends or family that could possibly be going bald and I only have 1 relative that seems to be balding. He's not related by blood so that really doesn't tell me much. All my other relatives don't seem to have any hair problems. They all have good hair. I'm starting to wear hats everywhere I go cause I use to have so many people compliment me on my hair and it's not the same anymore.

DannyBoyy

Reaction score
Hi guys I'm new here. I have been thinning a bit and am getting worried. I thought of friends or family that could possibly be going bald and I only have 1 relative that seems to be balding. He's not related by blood so that really doesn't tell me much. All my other relatives don't seem to have any hair problems. They all have good hair. I'm starting to wear hats everywhere I go cause I use to have so many people compliment me on my hair and it's not the same anymore.

Where you thinning?