Which Hair Replacement System Is Most Undetectable To Touch?

George24

My Regimen
Reaction score
I was curious to know

Are there hair systems that are undetectable to touch and if yes which base gets the closest ?

P. S. I don't intend on hiding the fact that I'd be wearing a hair system but still would like one that feels real on touch

Noah

Reaction score
I would say Swiss lace has the most touch-undetectable hairline, but thinskin has the most touch-undetectable scalp area. They are about the same at the non-hairline part of the perimeter - there the detectability depends on other factors such as whether you have a poly rim, whether you use tape or glue, whether you get the adhesive right to the edge of the unit, and whether the unit is a snug fit with no overlaps or gaps.

George24

My Regimen
Reaction score
I would say Swiss lace has the most touch-undetectable hairline, but thinskin has the most touch-undetectable scalp area. They are about the same at the non-hairline part of the perimeter - there the detectability depends on other factors such as whether you have a poly rim, whether you use tape or glue, whether you get the adhesive right to the edge of the unit, and whether the unit is a snug fit with no overlaps or gaps.

Alright thanks a ton. What about the transition area between the front lace and the posterior thin skin ? I've been told it has an obvious bump.

Noah

Reaction score
Some manufacturers do it better than others. Some just have a seam, which can be felt. Other times the skin is fused into the lace at the join, which is much less obtrusive. I have even seen a join where the skin was fused into the lace in a finger pattern, so that there was no hard straight line. Maybe you can choose what sort of join you get if you are ordering custom (I don't know, but it would be worth enquiring of your supplier). In any event, if you are going to have a combo base I would suggest you put the join well back, so that it is well hidden under the dense hair of the system, not just behind the hairline.

George24

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the information.

I have more questions if that's ok.
1) How do each of the bases feel? I can't seem to find an answer anywhere to this

2) Have you ever had problems with the touch detectability ? ( as truthful as Id be about it I'm not gonna be announcing that I'm wearing one to everyone, simply don't see the need to)

Visually I've seen they can look really real it's just the tactile sensations I wanna know more about

3) Can the skin lace combo been worn at the gym or will I need another base for that ?

4) What about sleeping with it on?

5) and will I have to remove the system and shave my hair everyday. I've read that natural thinning hair might interfere.

6) lastly, to sum it all up what system do you suggest that would feel the most real and how long would it last if I work out for an hour or two everyday.

P. S. Lots of people write about how much of a hastle they are but you sir always have truthful answers about the realsitic merits and demerits so kudos to you

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score

1) How do each of the bases feel? I can't seem to find an answer anywhere to this

What do you mean? Feel to the touch? Hard to explain, you may need to go to a salon, and ask to see examples of the different basese.

2) Have you ever had problems with the touch detectability ? ( as truthful as Id be about it I'm not gonna be announcing that I'm wearing one to everyone, simply don't see the need to)

I wear French lace, if someone runs their hands along the edge of the system, when my bio hair is very short you can feel an edge. When your bio hair is long, it's much harder.

Visually I've seen they can look really real it's just the tactile sensations I wanna know more about

3) Can the skin lace combo been worn at the gym or will I need another base for that ?

Yes, you can wear that at the gym.

Nothing wrong with sleeping on it, it's made for that.

5) and will I have to remove the system and shave my hair everyday. I've read that natural thinning hair might interfere.

Some people do this as a daily wear. If you are going to be going to the gym you need a strong bond. That does not work for daily wear. These systems are manufactured to stay on your head up to a month at a time, but must wear for shorter periods of time (1-2 weeks). You also don't need to shave your head even if you chose daily wear (which I advise against). Every time you remove the system is sufficient.

6) lastly, to sum it all up what system do you suggest that would feel the most real and how long would it last if I work out for an hour or two everyday.

I need to really impress upon you that hair systems are designed to LOOK like your own, natural, growing hair. And if done correctly, can be immensely successful at that. They do not, however do as good a job FEELING like your own, natural, growing hair. Running your hands through your hair does not feel the same. And it may not to someone else. If you are a person who is used to playing with your hair, you will need to stop.

P. S. Lots of people write about how much of a hastle they are but you sir always have truthful answers about the realsitic merits and demerits so kudos to you

Noah

Reaction score

You mean to the person wearing, or to third parties? In the case of both fine lace and thinskin you basically don't feel them once they are on. Lace in particular is very imperceptible. You can still feel the wind and rain through a lace base, water from the shower runs through it. I am only really conscious it's there when I am lying down on a pillow, and then I can feel the slight tug on the tape at the back.

To other people, thinskin is very imperceptible - it mimics human skin almost perfectly. The only thing that could possibly be felt is the edge. Lace has a more rough surface, but provided you have a snug fitting unit and a good attachment (no overlaps or wrinkles) it would only be likely to be felt by someone massaging deep into your hair. A person casually rubbing the top of your head (for example) wouldn't notice it.

I did on my first system, which was from a salon, and had a rather heavy-duty silicone base. It looked good, but it was pretty detectable to the touch. But since I have been wearing the fine lace units I haven't had any detectability problems, even though I do have girls touching my hair from time to time. Perhaps I have just been lucky, but I am pretty careful with my attachments, and it helps that people associate hairpieces with 50 year old men, not guys in their twenties and thirties. It never really crosses their mind that it could be a system.

It can. I know people who wear all skin bases at the gym. If you do a lot of sweaty cardio I think the more breathable lace you have in your base the better though.

No problem at all.

Typically the modern pattern is to keep these systems on for 7-14 days at a time, and then remove, clean the system, buzz down any stubble that has grown, and reattach. Growing hair is not a problem on that timescale. You can take the system off daily (we have a couple of regular posters who do that) but then you need to use lower tac adhesives which make the system less secure if (for example) someone were accidentally to grab it.

If you are working out that much, I would go for lace with a poly or thinskin rim around the back and sides, for a solid secure attachment. The working out shouldn't really affect the longevity of your systems. The main factors which decrease the lifespan are over-washing, sun damage, and removing the system without properly releasing the adhesives. You can expect to get 4-6 months of wear per unit; maybe a bit less for the first few.

Hair Newbie

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

I go to the gym 5-6 days per week doing 45 minutes of cardio and 45 minutes weight. When I get off the treadmill my shirt is soaked and my forehead drenched in sweat. I've been wearing UTS (Ultra Thin Skin V-looped Stock system) with Got2B during all of my gym, outdoor hiking, MTBiking, Snowboarding, .... activities for the past 10 months and have had zero problems. If I do watersports like windsurfing or kiteboarding, I would wear my lace base system using tape on both sides and Ghostbond or Walker Ultra hold for the hairline. I prefer UTS because clean up is super easy and no hair shedding. Since I sweat a lot so there can be some discomfort if I wear it for more days because I feel like the dried stinky sweat trap between my scalp and hair system base.

George24

My Regimen
Reaction score

You mean to the person wearing, or to third parties? In the case of both fine lace and thinskin you basically don't feel them once they are on. Lace in particular is very imperceptible. You can still feel the wind and rain through a lace base, water from the shower runs through it. I am only really conscious it's there when I am lying down on a pillow, and then I can feel the slight tug on the tape at the back.

To other people, thinskin is very imperceptible - it mimics human skin almost perfectly. The only thing that could possibly be felt is the edge. Lace has a more rough surface, but provided you have a snug fitting unit and a good attachment (no overlaps or wrinkles) it would only be likely to be felt by someone massaging deep into your hair. A person casually rubbing the top of your head (for example) wouldn't notice it.

I did on my first system, which was from a salon, and had a rather heavy-duty silicone base. It looked good, but it was pretty detectable to the touch. But since I have been wearing the fine lace units I haven't had any detectability problems, even though I do have girls touching my hair from time to time. Perhaps I have just been lucky, but I am pretty careful with my attachments, and it helps that people associate hairpieces with 50 year old men, not guys in their twenties and thirties. It never really crosses their mind that it could be a system.

It can. I know people who wear all skin bases at the gym. If you do a lot of sweaty cardio I think the more breathable lace you have in your base the better though.

No problem at all.

Typically the modern pattern is to keep these systems on for 7-14 days at a time, and then remove, clean the system, buzz down any stubble that has grown, and reattach. Growing hair is not a problem on that timescale. You can take the system off daily (we have a couple of regular posters who do that) but then you need to use lower tac adhesives which make the system less secure if (for example) someone were accidentally to grab it.

If you are working out that much, I would go for lace with a poly or thinskin rim around the back and sides, for a solid secure attachment. The working out shouldn't really affect the longevity of your systems. The main factors which decrease the lifespan are over-washing, sun damage, and removing the system without properly releasing the adhesives. You can expect to get 4-6 months of wear per unit; maybe a bit less for the first few.

I prefer to keep my sides and back short. Will this cause the hair system to look weird in the morning when I sleep with it on?

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
I prefer to keep my sides and back short. Will this cause the hair system to look weird in the morning when I sleep with it on?

Mine is super short, back and sides. I have no problems.

Is anyone else having problematic with the cert on this website?

Hair Newbie

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Mine is super short, back and sides. I have no problems.

Is anyone else having problematic with the cert on this website?

I think many people have been getting a message "Your connection is not private" .. when you trying to access hairlosstalk.com website. It happens to me since last week. I don't know why?

80005276_10157169266954285_8620867861293826048_o.jpg

George24

My Regimen
Reaction score

No problem at all.

Few more questions...

What's the max density the Swiss lace can handle ?

Shortest length too

Thank you :)

Diesel guy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I go to the gym 5-6 days per week doing 45 minutes of cardio and 45 minutes weight. When I get off the treadmill my shirt is soaked and my forehead drenched in sweat. I've been wearing UTS (Ultra Thin Skin V-looped Stock system) with Got2B during all of my gym, outdoor hiking, MTBiking, Snowboarding, .... activities for the past 10 months and have had zero problems. If I do watersports like windsurfing or kiteboarding, I would wear my lace base system using tape on both sides and Ghostbond or Walker Ultra hold for the hairline. I prefer UTS because clean up is super easy and no hair shedding. Since I sweat a lot so there can be some discomfort if I wear it for more days because I feel like the dried stinky sweat trap between my scalp and hair system base.

I use bond on my Swiss lace, and when I am playing tennis, sweat cannot penetrate the bond. So the end result that the hair on the top of my head is dry, and sweat is pouring off the sides and back of my head. It looks odd, and people have noticed, but I just tell them that is how I sweat. I do tho keep a spare bottle in my bag, and I spray my head as I play.

Noah

Reaction score
Agreed; that is one of the few situations where you have to remember that you are wearing a piece. I take a visit to the water cooler as soon as I start sweating, and pour a cup of water over my head. Lots of guys with their own hair do the same, so it doesn't look odd.

ChrisPratty

My Regimen
Reaction score
I was curious to know

Are there hair systems that are undetectable to touch and if yes which base gets the closest ?

P. S. I don't intend on hiding the fact that I'd be wearing a hair system but still would like one that feels real on touch

Skin hair systems by Lordhair is a highly undetectable. This one is affordable too and will give you natural-like finish! I myself have tried hair system from this seller and can guarantee you quality finish!