which concealer is most recommended?

flamingpie

Established Member
Reaction score
after reading through several posts im assuming that the three most popular concealers are Toppik, Nanogen and Dermamatch.
Which of these three is the highest recommended one?
I think i wanna add a concealer eventually this year, was wondering which one was the best.

halpmeplease

Reaction score
I've been on finasteride for about 4 months now, and I have thinning in the crown, and I've been inspired just now by coming to this forum and learning about these concealers.

I'm going to buy either Toppik or Nanogen I think. I haven't really looked into Dermmatch much yet.

Anyway, I'd like to know the most recommended too!

vikings1234

Reaction score
i have thinning in the crown. Still hair there and Dermmatch is a freaking life saver. I can not say enough good things. It is super easy to put on(again I just need a small amount in my crown ONLY). And it stays in through EVERYTHING.

Please if you are in the same boat and need something slight get it, you will not regret it I promise you

halpmeplease

Reaction score
My thinning is on the very top of the crown, and almost in the back. Like I have to look with another mirror to see it from the back and sides and top.

Would an area like that be hard to put it on right so it doesn't look noticeable to others? As far as Dermmatch and Nanogen that is.

vikings1234

Reaction score
that is exactly where mine is, i use a small mirror and hold it while applying the dermmatch. I do it on dry hair or slightly damp if I am getting out of the shower after towel drying my hair very well. I get the applicator slightly wet rub into my hair area then i take my fingers and rub it in to blend. Takes all of 2 mins literally. Let it dry and then just give it a few more rubs to get the excess out. I then style my hair when it is fully dry(i use a rubber like substance that adds a lot of fullness called gatsby moving rubber)

halpmeplease

Reaction score
vikings1234 said:
that is exactly where mine is, i use a small mirror and hold it while applying the dermmatch. I do it on dry hair or slightly damp if I am getting out of the shower after towel drying my hair very well. I get the applicator slightly wet rub into my hair area then i take my fingers and rub it in to blend. Takes all of 2 mins literally. Let it dry and then just give it a few more rubs to get the excess out. I then style my hair when it is fully dry(i use a rubber like substance that adds a lot of fullness called gatsby moving rubber)

Awesome man. I just bought Nanogen yesterday, but I am going to get Dermmatch too and try them both out. Thanks!

flamingpie

Established Member
Reaction score
i didnt even realize till now that dermmatch and toppik are two different types of products. One is fibers and the other is, well im too sure lol.
Is there a pro and con to picking fibers over dermmatch?

He-Bat

Established Member
Reaction score
I used Toppik for a year and now I am using Nanogen. Nanogen is MUCH better than Toppik and stays in place much better than toppik. The fibres are also smaller and seem to create more volume than Toppik.

Nene

Reaction score
He-Bat said:
I used Toppik for a year and now I am using Nanogen. Nanogen is MUCH better than Toppik and stays in place much better than toppik. The fibres are also smaller and seem to create more volume than Toppik.

Where do you buy your nanogen?

Nene

Reaction score
zeroheat said:
I'm not He-Bat but I got one from e-bay. E-bay has everything! :D

Advice from anyone is appreciated, thanks zeroheat. Do you find that it is more expensive than Toppik?

Reaction score
I started a thread in regard to this subject about a year ago.

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=55120

It includes many of the products in this category. I was hoping that people would provide their opinions but it doesn't seem to be a popular subject. The previous post in this thread was several weeks ago.

He-Bat

Established Member
Reaction score
I buy Nanogen at www.nanogen.co.uk I have used both toppik and nanogen for years and believe me nanogen is 100times better and looks more real. Toppik looks like sawdust on my scalp or sand. Watch the videos on the site.

He-Bat

Established Member
Reaction score
zeroheat said:
@Nene: I forgot the price now but nanogen was a bit more expensive..
Yes, it's expensive but it's worth it because it looks real. And the colors are more real too. Toppik colors were so dull. I tried the dark and medim brown and blond bfore I colored my hair. All of the Nanogen colors were superior.

Nene

Reaction score
He-Bat said:
zeroheat said:
Yes, it's expensive but it's worth it because it looks real. And the colors are more real too. Toppik colors were so dull. I tried the dark and medim brown and blond bfore I colored my hair. All of the Nanogen colors were superior.

Wow I have a hard time believing it could be better than toppik, it works amazing for me, but I'll give a try.

He-Bat

Established Member
Reaction score
Nene said:
He-Bat said:
zeroheat said:

Wow I have a hard time believing it could be better than toppik, it works amazing for me, but I'll give a try.
Well, I was amazed with Toppik when I first started using it, but I was even more amazed after I started using Nanogen.

s.a.f

Reaction score
I get mine cheaper than the nanogen site at www.replacementhair.co.uk and as the video people need to understand that less is more. Some of those examples were too unnatural. I'd rather look like I had some thinning than a crown so thick its like cats fur.

halpmeplease

Reaction score
HOLY CRAP!

I just put Nanogen in for the first time and it was amazing! I was stunned. I looked so much better!

I can't really see my thinning area, it's right on top of my head. So to get a close look I have to hold another mirror but it still is hard to get a good look at the spot. I started taking close up pictures with my digital camera, and I could notice where it was a different color in one spot. I think that's because I sort of poured it in heavily in one spot.

My main concern with something like this is going out in public and someone standing behind me noticing something weird with my hair, but this really does look pretty natural.

It also worked well as far as staying in too. I'm going to try and work up the courage to use this whenever I go out from now on!
Do you guys suggest using the locking mist?

I didn't use it and it seemed to stay in pretty well.

s.a.f

Reaction score
halpmeplease said:
Do you guys suggest using the locking mist?

I didn't use it and it seemed to stay in pretty well.

I've never used it either and it still stays pretty well. But apparantly ordinary hairspray is just as good.
If you dont pour it on no one should ever notice, just aim for a small (20% max) improvement.