Whey Protien users ...Please answer...Thanks

hairhaircomeagain

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys....I have been working out for almost a year now but did not see any improvement, i guess mostly because of my vegeterian diet.
So, a month ago I started Whey protien. Ofocurse it will take some time to see some gains, if any, but I have noticed that I have almost gained 4lbs in a month. My diet has been the same, so that should not cause the weight gain.

Did you guys see the weight gain? Is it expected to happen or I should cut my protien intake a little. I take about 60g of protien on the day I work out and 20g on the day I dont.

Any inputs will be helpful. Thanks

Goingat20

Reaction score
yeh when i use whey i see a weight gain. I know your a vegetarian but you should up for protein intake, i would suggest taking whey 3 times a day, or using a meal replacement (i use nytro pro-40 by AST). If you do this you will see huge gains. Goodluck

hellohello

Established Member
Reaction score
How do you expect to build heavy muscle mass without putting on any weight?? I'm confused...

BTW your protein intake is low on both your workout and non workout days.
You need to get more quality proteins if your a vegetarian - multigrain breads, lean white cheese, egg whites, tofu is ok, but the whey protein is definately reccomended. Just remember that even the days your not working out, your body is rebuilding. 20 grams a day is low, maybe your hair is suffering also because of it.

Felk

Reaction score
I think he meant the 20mg and 60mg of protein a day was an addition to his normal diet.

hairhaircomeagain

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yeah...the 20 and 60g were just for the Whey protien that I take. Thats does not include my everyday diet. However I do not expect to get too much protien from my vegeterian diet.

I am worried about putting on weight coz I put on very easy and its very difficult to lose. Last year I was 202 lbs and I am 5'10". I went on a diet and strong cardio and came down to 168 and waist from 36 to 32. After starting Whey I have gone up to 172. I am worried if this weight is directly going to my face and waist. This is kindaa worrying.

What do you guys think ?

HairyPotter

Established Member
Reaction score
Are you adding the whey protein to bulk up or lose weight? When I was working out I was using whey protein and eating ALOT and so I gained ALOT of weight too (muscle & some fat).

Four pounds is nothing and could be due to water retention, not taking a dump when you weighed yourself, wearing heavier clothes when you weighed yourself, etc. etc. Taking an additional 20 & 60 g of whey protein is only an extra 80-240 calories, if your trying to build muscle you need all those calories plus some. On the label of my whey protein it says to try and consume 1 g of protien per pound of bodyweight so dont sweat it, if anything you should add more protien along with some cardio on your "off" days and you should see some good results.

hairhaircomeagain

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I am trying not too gain weight ( fat )...but gain some muscle mass...

Yeah....I workout 3 times a week...I am thinkin of adding cardio 2 days now.....I heard Cardio may reduce the effect of you weight training

mu0325

Established Member
Reaction score
hairhaircomeagain said:
I am trying not too gain weight ( fat )...but gain some muscle mass...

Yeah....I workout 3 times a week...I am thinkin of adding cardio 2 days now.....I heard Cardio may reduce the effect of you weight training

ok to build mass u will have to consum 1 g to 1.5 g protine for every pound of your body wight..another thing i dont see why whey protine would will make you fat if u gain wight after you added whey protine that is most likely muscules..

mucels wight more than fat...my advice to you try to stay away from junk food and food high in fat try to cook at home healthy meals... eat 4 to 5 meals a day lets say medium size meals train wights 4 times a week and dont do cardio u dont need it if u want to put on muscle mass train hard and thats should be enough and rest very well sleep at least 8 hours every night...train eat and sleep and you will see good results..

peace

CCS

Reaction score
and don't forget at least a gallon of water per day in small increments. eat 6 small meals per day. don't eat more than 30g of protein per 3 hours since your body can't absorb it at least for muscle. I don't work out much, but I got my diet down so well that I don't loose what I gain. you can practically cook your way to a good body if you eat right and slit it up right.

CCS

Reaction score
and stay away from the adkins diet. if you mess up your body of course you will lose weight. you also will if you go without sleep. they should measure muscle mass maintanance of people who loose weight on adkins.

get 20% of your total calories from unsaturated fat, 60-65% from good carbs, and 15-20% from protein.

hairhaircomeagain

Experienced Member
Reaction score
great advice guys..Thanks much...I have been very careful about avoiding fatty stuff..maybe I am letting it loose lately. I will keep a watch for that.

shh5455

Established Member
Reaction score
It sounds like your main goal is to lose fat, not put on muscle. If I was you, I would spend your time doing cardio instead of weight lifting. While it's true more muscle means more resting calorie burning, the cardio is going to do a lot more for your overall appearance.

It's very surprising to me though that you're a vegetarian and still have weight issues. Does that just mean you don't eat meat but do eat twinkies? If so that could be your problem. Don't cancel out the cardio by eating/drinking crap at home.

hairhaircomeagain

Experienced Member
Reaction score
well...just being a vegeterian does not help with being fat or not. rather I believe it increases the chances. For example, when we goto a steakhouse or a diner or sumthin..meat eaters have lot of calories which may also contain protien. For me the only option is stuff like fries, curly fries, onion rings...and you know all that stuff which has nuthin but fat. So basically we are more prone to eating stuff with less protien and more fat + ofcourse in my case its genetic too.

As far as weight lifting and fat loss is concerened, I believe my weight is perfect right now. I am 5'10" and 168-170lbs which is good. However I think my fat ratio is high since I have flab on my stomach...ughhh..so ugly...When i say fat, I dont mean that its bulging out or sumthin, but its not flat, there is some extra flab. No one will call me fat or overweight coz I look pretty healthy. I know I should Cardio for the flab.

But I also need muscles. I have heard that muscles will gradually eat up all this fat. I dont have the time and energy to do both Cardio and weight training. So I am living with a little fat on my stomach and planning to look a little toned up. But I dont wanna get more fat while trying to gain muscles.

Seems like a catch 22 :)