Where To Start. Looking At Hair Replacement Systems

CallMeFred

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi. Firstly I hope I've posted in the right place, apologies if not.

I've just came across this forum as I feel this is the time for me to do something about my hair loss. As we know it's not a choice so I choose now to address it for myself.

I've been researching for a while now about what to do, and have found some videos on DIY hair replacement systems, I am the sort of person who will try do things for myself, but it's such a big issue for myself that, should I try go down the professional route of the DIY method.

I'm based in the UK, and I am on a budget so to speak, I don't want to hand thousands to sonesom who probably doesn't care about the process, not suggesting there aren't good kind people out there, but I don't know where to look. I've heard of a salon in London which seems to have a good reputation, Frankie Cochrane, anyone used this salon?

Or could anyone recommend a company or psrson I can buy direct from? Any tutorial videos I can watch to learn the DIY method? I'm basically hoping one person can reach out and help me. I've wore my hat for years, I'm sick of it, it's holding me back in every aspect of my life.

Any help or advice would be massively appreciated.

CallMeFred

My Regimen
Reaction score
Also, any information I've found seems to be quite vague as to how long these systems last, and upkeep etc.

Goldie Locks

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi. Firstly I hope I've posted in the right place, apologies if not.

I've just came across this forum as I feel this is the time for me to do something about my hair loss. As we know it's not a choice so I choose now to address it for myself.

I've been researching for a while now about what to do, and have found some videos on DIY hair replacement systems, I am the sort of person who will try do things for myself, but it's such a big issue for myself that, should I try go down the professional route of the DIY method.

I'm based in the UK, and I am on a budget so to speak, I don't want to hand thousands to sonesom who probably doesn't care about the process, not suggesting there aren't good kind people out there, but I don't know where to look. I've heard of a salon in London which seems to have a good reputation, Frankie Cochrane, anyone used this salon?

Or could anyone recommend a company or psrson I can buy direct from? Any tutorial videos I can watch to learn the DIY method? I'm basically hoping one person can reach out and help me. I've wore my hat for years, I'm sick of it, it's holding me back in every aspect of my life.

Any help or advice would be massively appreciated.

Hey,

I've been to this salon just over a year ago. I live North-West but been visiting friends and needed a touch up. I then had my system on only for couple of days so been new to this and VERY anxious. Although I came to Frankie Cochrane with someone else's system, they were absolutely amazing. Very helpful, patient and gave me a lot of information I did not know. As for the price, I cannot remember how much the systems were but my visit was what I expected £50 (thining system hair slightly, fixing haircut and spot on front line fix) If you're local and the price is within your reach, I'd definitely try them if I lived closer.
In terms of longevity of systems, mainly it depends on the base and how well you look after it. I wear swiss lace system and replace mine every 3-4 months. I could definitely wear them for another month or so but I just like the "fresh feel". There would be TOO MUCH information to cover it all in one response. I've been watching "My Hair experience" channel on YouTube for a very long time and learned a lot about systems and pretty much anything there is to know. Once you know the basics, you will figure out your own routine. I research systems a lot and looking for change in salon/supplier but like you said, sometimes people here don't give you straight up recommendation. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Nick

CallMeFred

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey,

I've been to this salon just over a year ago. I live North-West but been visiting friends and needed a touch up. I then had my system on only for couple of days so been new to this and VERY anxious. Although I came to Frankie Cochrane with someone else's system, they were absolutely amazing. Very helpful, patient and gave me a lot of information I did not know. As for the price, I cannot remember how much the systems were but my visit was what I expected £50 (thining system hair slightly, fixing haircut and spot on front line fix) If you're local and the price is within your reach, I'd definitely try them if I lived closer.
In terms of longevity of systems, mainly it depends on the base and how well you look after it. I wear swiss lace system and replace mine every 3-4 months. I could definitely wear them for another month or so but I just like the "fresh feel". There would be TOO MUCH information to cover it all in one response. I've been watching "My Hair experience" channel on YouTube for a very long time and learned a lot about systems and pretty much anything there is to know. Once you know the basics, you will figure out your own routine. I research systems a lot and looking for change in salon/supplier but like you said, sometimes people here don't give you straight up recommendation. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Nick

Hi Nick, thanks for reaching out. I'm also watching this guy on YouTube.

May I ask if you have any recommendations for systems? And what's the process? Go for a fitting so to speak?

grincher

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Frankie Cochrane, use to supply and cut for Total Cover Plus and he may still do. If not he supplies via a German Supplier (like TCP) but ultimately, they are all from China. There is quite a bit on TCP on here and their systems. Does he supply lace or just skin pieces? There is very little on the website about what they supply.

Paul Cochrane is the guy that cuts in and he seems to be first and foremost a stylist which is good for the final style, but from his website he seems expensive at £250-300 for a cut in only. Its £499 for supply and cut and for one system, while not the highest in London is about £200 more than I pay in London. The £165 for a reattachment is expensive.

I have sent you a PM.

Kieran25

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have just got mine (new one after a previous disaster) in London with a company and am very happy with the whole process. What I would say is avoid the franchises and stick to private owned salons etc. Happy to explain if you PM.

Goldie Locks

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi Nick, thanks for reaching out. I'm also watching this guy on YouTube.

May I ask if you have any recommendations for systems? And what's the process? Go for a fitting so to speak?

I will be completely honest. I use Hair Revive which I think is run by one person. He is mobile (from Doncaster) and can come to your house, fit and style the system. Which is perfect because you don't have to look for a salon separately. He has some flaws (styling could be a little better and front sometimes can be a bit "messy" so I have to fix it myself) and obviously he charges more than buying online. What I like about him is that he is extremely pleasant, not rushing the appointment at all and really listens to how you want to look, where you want the hairline etc. And if you're not sure he can give his advise.
Since my last fitting, he changed the supplier and showed me the new system. It felt Amazing! Knots were perfectly bleached and it looked super natural.
I recently, just as a trial, ordered hair system (skin) from MHE and found a salon (allegedly with years of experience) in Liverpool to have it fitted. They completely ruined the system beyond repair. So going back this week to HairRevive for the new system to be fitted. And I'm very excited. Decided that sometimes "better the devil you know".
My hairstyle is swept back with exposed hairline so have to work extra hard to get the front perfect (mastered it now) as I am very OCD. And it really is possible with the lace system when done right.
All in all, if I could buy a quality 0,3mm skin system cheaper than mine and replace it more frequently and also find a competent salon that could fit and style it (perfectly) I would change. But let's face it, the more often you replace it, the more often you have to pay for fitting and styling. And you end up paying more for a good system + good fitting.
To save £££ I decided to do my own "clean ups" and started using tape around+middle section and glue on front.
If you live in London you will have more options as the market saturated more than Manchester. After the Liverpool disaster however I cannot express enough how important it is that you use a recommended company, especially for the first system.
If you'd like to see my hair after fitting, let me know. I can send some photos so you can judge for yourself.

Goldie Locks

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey Guys,
So I recently had my system changed. Same colour, same base slightly longer style as I was growing sides out. Washed it couple of hoirs ago. No product whatsoever, just some conditioner so maybe not the best "do" but feel free to judge. Going for the natural look not to use too much product.
Nick

Attachments

• 20190107_135016.jpg
    20190107_135016.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 463
  • 20190107_135052.jpg
    20190107_135052.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 389
  • 20190107_135204.jpg
    20190107_135204.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 373

Manny007

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi Goldie Locks,

Amazing look looks very natural..can you please share the specs

Hair Newbie

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey Guys,
So I recently had my system changed. Same colour, same base slightly longer style as I was growing sides out. Washed it couple of hoirs ago. No product whatsoever, just some conditioner so maybe not the best "do" but feel free to judge. Going for the natural look not to use too much product.
Nick
Your hair look really good. I just posted few photos of my hair in here too. I have a Super Thin Skin / color 1B# off black/ Freestyle medium light density.

https://www.hairlosstalk.com/intera...-system-experience.118851/page-3#post-1753364

Goldie Locks

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi Goldie Locks,

Amazing look looks very natural..can you please share the specs

Hey Manny,

Many thanks! It really means a lot! As I'm still slightly paranoid.
This is a Swiss lace, CC shape (I think) front, colour 1B, medium-light density. Blue tape around parameter and Ghost Bond Platinum front. I'm pleased with the result and also slightly longer haircut. My only worry is that the colour is going to fade again.

Goldie Locks

My Regimen
Reaction score
Your hair look really good. I just posted few photos of my hair in here too. I have a Super Thin Skin / color 1B# off black/ Freestyle medium light density.

https://www.hairlosstalk.com/intera...-system-experience.118851/page-3#post-1753364

Hey Newbee,

Thank you! Really appreciate you comment. I really wanted to try the Super Thin Skin! I even ordered one from MHE and the Hair stylist chopped the front hairline off. Needless to say I had to go back to my usual guy. How you finding it? How long does it last you? Do you tape any of it? And how you managing cleanups? Isn't it too fragile?
I saw your post about cutting your own hair. Hats down! It looks fantastic! So natural as well. Where did you learn to do this?

Nick

Hair Newbie

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey Newbee,

Thank you! Really appreciate you comment. I really wanted to try the Super Thin Skin! I even ordered one from MHE and the Hair stylist chopped the front hairline off. Needless to say I had to go back to my usual guy. How you finding it? How long does it last you? Do you tape any of it? And how you managing cleanups? Isn't it too fragile?
I saw your post about cutting your own hair. Hats down! It looks fantastic! So natural as well. Where did you learn to do this?

Nick

The fragile one you've mentioned is a Ultra Thin Skin with 0.03mm thickness that only have one month of lifespan. I heard it's very delicate and easy to torn. I want more durable so mine is a Super Thin Skin 0.06mm thickness and supposed to have 3+ months of lifespan. I've only been wearing Thin Skin for 10 days, the hair is really low maintenance and easy to style with dry or damp hair. I like it a lot.

When I first started wear a hair system which is approx 2.5 months ago. I was using a Walker blue tape on my first French Lace system on both sides and Ghost Bond Classic for the front (I also tried tape and Walker ultra hold). The result was really good too. The blue tape and both liquid adhesives are so strong it is difficult to remove without using solvents. That require more time and patience to completely clean up the system base and remove the residue on the scalp. I switched it to Walker 1522 tape and Got2b ultra glued with the new thin skin system. It’s amazing how much time I can save with Got2b and 1522 tape. Many thin skin users said they have to apply adhesive on the whole system base, I only use tape for sides and back and Got2B on the front hairline and it workout perfect for me. The weather here is cold and dry and I might need to switch back to Blue tape and Ghost Bond when summer come.

Using clippers to cut my own hair is easy because the clipper came many guard sizes. You can start with biggest guard size like number 4 or 5 on the sides and back to start. If that's not short enough than use a smaller number like 2 or 3 until you get the desired length. Bald fade is #2 and 1. There are many youtube DIY videos you can learn how to do it yourself. Cutting the hair system is another story. I will have the professional hairdressers to cut the hair system.

4hair4him

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
The fragile one you've mentioned is a Ultra Thin Skin with 0.03mm thickness that only have one month of lifespan. I heard it's very delicate and easy to torn. I want more durable so mine is a Super Thin Skin 0.06mm thickness and supposed to have 3+ months of lifespan. I've only been wearing Thin Skin for 10 days, the hair is really low maintenance and easy to style with dry or damp hair. I like it a lot.

When I first started wear a hair system which is approx 2.5 months ago. I was using a Walker blue tape on my first French Lace system on both sides and Ghost Bond Classic for the front (I also tried tape and Walker ultra hold). The result was really good too. The blue tape and both liquid adhesives are so strong it is difficult to remove without using solvents. That require more time and patience to completely clean up the system base and remove the residue on the scalp. I switched it to Walker 1522 tape and Got2b ultra glued with the new thin skin system. It’s amazing how much time I can save with Got2b and 1522 tape. Many thin skin users said they have to apply adhesive on the whole system base, I only use tape for sides and back and Got2B on the front hairline and it workout perfect for me. The weather here is cold and dry and I might need to switch back to Blue tape and Ghost Bond when summer come.

Using clippers to cut my own hair is easy because the clipper came many guard sizes. You can start with biggest guard size like number 4 or 5 on the sides and back to start. If that's not short enough than use a smaller number like 2 or 3 until you get the desired length. Bald fade is #2 and 1. There are many youtube DIY videos you can learn how to do it yourself. Cutting the hair system is another story. I will have the professional hairdressers to cut the hair system.

Why don´t you cut your hairsystem with clippes too?

Hair Newbie

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Why don´t you cut your hairsystem with clippes too?

I don't have any experience of cutting toupee. My supplier cut the style I want before delivery. It save me tons of time to search for a reliable hairdressers.

Manny007

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey Manny,

Many thanks! It really means a lot! As I'm still slightly paranoid.
This is a Swiss lace, CC shape (I think) front, colour 1B, medium-light density. Blue tape around parameter and Ghost Bond Platinum front. I'm pleased with the result and also slightly longer haircut. My only worry is that the colour is going to fade again.

Hi Goldie

Thanks for the reply, also can you please let me know where did you get the system from ? online or any salon?

Goldie Locks

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi Goldie

Thanks for the reply, also can you please let me know where did you get the system from ? online or any salon?

Actually it's neither... I use this company I had recommended, called Hair Revive. They provide a full service from choosing the right system, installing to cutting. Don't think they would tell you where they getting the systems from (I would like to know too because I think they mark it quite high in £££)