Where To Buy A Hairline Contour Tool For Making A Template?

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've recently ordered a custom hair system (due for delivery in July) and I think I've done ok with creating the shape of the hairline. However depending on how it looks when the system arrives, I might refine it a bit in the future on my next custom order.

It can be tricky getting the hairline shape right when making a template for a custom system, so I was wondering if it's a good idea to use some sort of frontal contour guide, like the guy in this video uses (at around 5m50 in):

Where can I buy a frontal guide like this? I think ultimately I will go for a 'C' contour hairline. One problem with using a guide like this is that it might not be the right width for my hairline, so I'm wondering if it's a good idea. (I know in the video he is creating a template for a full cap, whereas mine is for a partial).

Could anyone share any tips for drawing the hairline shape when making a template? I was wondering whether I could simply mark the middle of my hairline and then ask for a 'C' contour? It seems like you can only specify the hairline shape on stock systems, but with customs you have have to actually draw the shape.

Anyway I think my current custom order should be ok but it would be nice to refine it a bit in the future perhaps to get it absolutely spot on to my liking.

Last edited:

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
If you are dealing with a reputable company, they will do the hairline for you if you choose a contour shape, A, C, CC, etc. You don't need to mess with this.

Noah

Reaction score
Or you can draw the line on your forehead with a mark-up pencil, and just keep experimenting till you get the look you want. If you raise your eyebrows, it's easy to see the line where the wrinkled skin of your forehead stops and the flat skin of your scalp starts. That line is where your hairline was when you were a teenager, and before you started losing hair. So that is absolutely the lowest point your system hairline can be. But once you get over about 22, you need to be building in a bit of recession. You can keep the very front centre point of the hairline where it was when you were 22, but you need to be making the contour a sharper angle, to include recession at the temples. If in doubt, have a look at the hairlines of guys your age who haven't encountered serious hairloss, and seek to recreate the same shape.

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If you are dealing with a reputable company, they will do the hairline for you if you choose a contour shape, A, C, CC, etc. You don't need to mess with this.

Ok, so I would just need to mark the centre point where my hairline starts, and the company would do the contour shape from there?

Also what about the width of the hairline? Where should it end at each side to look most natural? Should it be slightly past my eyebrows and temples? I wonder what the 'rule' for this is, or maybe it's just trial and error and seeing what looks best for each person.

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Or you can draw the line on your forehead with a mark-up pencil, and just keep experimenting till you get the look you want. If you raise your eyebrows, it's easy to see the line where the wrinkled skin of your forehead stops and the flat skin of your scalp starts. That line is where your hairline was when you were a teenager, and before you started losing hair. So that is absolutely the lowest point your system hairline can be. But once you get over about 22, you need to be building in a bit of recession. You can keep the very front centre point of the hairline where it was when you were 22, but you need to be making the contour a sharper angle, to include recession at the temples. If in doubt, have a look at the hairlines of guys your age who haven't encountered serious hairloss, and seek to recreate the same shape.

Yeah that's helpful. I've read that a good 'rule of thumb' for where the centre of a hairline should start is roughly 4 finger widths above the centre of your eyebrows. For me, I find this seems to be the line where the wrinkled skin of your forehead stops and the flat skin of your scalp starts, so it works well for me. Everyone will be slightly different though, and I suppose some guys might want the centre of their hairline to start a bit higher up.

Noah

Reaction score
I have always found the four fingers idea rather unhelpful, to be honest. The result you get depends on where you put your bottom finger, how fat your fingers are etc. The fact is you can see precisely where your original hairline was when you wrinkle your forehead. But it sounds like both approaches work for you, which is good.

You are certainly right that everyone is different. That original hairline is the baseline - you can't go lower than that, but definitely you may want to go higher. That will depend on various factors, like the degree of hairloss you had before you began wearing a system, whether you are attempting to keep your transition under the radar, whether your sidehair is receding, and just the look you are aiming for. Some guys want to look their true age, but with hair. Others want to recapture the look they had when they were younger. Sidehair is important. The hairline contour has to look realistic in juxtaposition to the degree of recession at the sides. If it doesn't - if the hairline looks too far forward to match the degree of recession at the sides - it can leave the system looking very unbalanced and fake. Designing a hair system requires a certain amount of good taste and aesthetic judgement which not everyone has.