Where on the norwood scale is this?

straitlines

My Regimen
Reaction score
Would love you know your thoughts on this hairline.

There has been some recession at the temples over the years.

26F9991A-2922-4718-994D-BD3FE88309E3.jpeg

2AE96C31-348E-42E0-8B6D-9CE74CF0D746.jpeg

Last edited:

TDE97

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Norwood 1. How old are you? You're most likely heading towards mature hairline depending on your age.

NickyA

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Norwood 1 with very thick hair. Have you always had that slightly thin spot at the front? I don't think you'll go bald soon, but you might want to check your frontal hairline yearly if you didn't have that slightly thin spot in the past (Especially since you said your temples have slightly receded) I look like a Norwood 1.5 with my hair grown out but now that I have a number 2 buzzcut I can clearly see that my frontal hairline has thinned out.

straitlines

My Regimen
Reaction score
Norwood 1 with very thick hair. Have you always had that slightly thin spot at the front? I don't think you'll go bald soon, but you might want to check your frontal hairline yearly if you didn't have that slightly thin spot in the past (Especially since you said your temples have slightly receded) I look like a Norwood 1.5 with my hair grown out but now that I have a number 2 buzzcut I can clearly see that my frontal hairline has thinned out.
I never noticed the thin areas on my hairline until about a year ago when I, coincidentally, had a buzz cut.

A part of me wants to just put this aside as a matured hairline and move on but another is just worried this recession might progress further.

straitlines

My Regimen
Reaction score
Unless you have been shedding a lot than you're fine man. Go seek a dermatologist for a scalp biopsy to see any miniaturisation at the front.
I’ll likely do that very soon. I’ve been having crazy scalp itch and some shedding for about a year or so.

Nizarol shampoo has helped a ton with the itch.

NickyA

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I never noticed the thin areas on my hairline until about a year ago when I, coincidentally, had a buzz cut.

A part of me wants to just put this aside as a matured hairline and move on but another is just worried this recession might progress further.

It's a great idea to get a scalp biopsy if you can. That way you'll be leaving no loose ends. Maybe it's normal (Ron Perlman, for example, has great hair and he has had a slightly thin front since he was 30 or so) but you'll never know for sure unless you get a scalp biopsy or start treatment and go through a shed/see improvement. I know for a fact that I looked better with a buzzcut when I was 17, although I never went shorter than a number 6 on top and a number 4 on the sides. And even though my paternal family has godlike hair genetics my maternal grandpa started balding in his early-mid 30s and was a Norwood 3.5 by his mid 40s, and my maternal grandma's family have crappy hair genetics (She had wispy hair in his 70s and most of her brothers were noticeably balding by their mid 30s). Funnily enough one of her brothers had a son who is a NW2 at 44. So I was born to start a hair prevention program hahahaha.

straitlines

My Regimen
Reaction score
It's a great idea to get a scalp biopsy if you can. That way you'll be leaving no loose ends. Maybe it's normal (Ron Perlman, for example, has great hair and he has had a slightly thin front since he was 30 or so) but you'll never know for sure unless you get a scalp biopsy or start treatment and go through a shed/see improvement. I know for a fact that I looked better with a buzzcut when I was 17, although I never went shorter than a number 6 on top and a number 4 on the sides. And even though my paternal family has godlike hair genetics my maternal grandpa started balding in his early-mid 30s and was a Norwood 3.5 by his mid 40s, and my maternal grandma's family have crappy hair genetics (She had wispy hair in his 70s and most of her brothers were noticeably balding by their mid 30s). Funnily enough one of her brothers had a son who is a NW2 at 44. So I was born to start a hair prevention program hahahaha.
I’m sh*t out of luck when it comes to hair genetics on both my maternal and paternal sides. Both my grandpas were norwood 5 and up. Most of my uncles on either side were either of similar norwood or largely thinning by the time they were 50.

My dad is keeping his hair although it’s rather fine and thin. But not too bad considering he is almost 75. My mom has great hair though but I’ve read that this doesn’t matter when it comes to pattern baldness.

NickyA

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I’m sh*t out of luck when it comes to hair genetics on both my maternal and paternal sides. Both my grandpas were norwood 5 and up. Most of my uncles on either side were either of similar norwood or largely thinning by the time they were 50.

My dad is keeping his hair although it’s rather fine and thin. But not too bad considering he is almost 75. My mom has great hair though but I’ve read that this doesn’t matter when it comes to pattern baldness.
Then getting a scalp biopsy is a great idea. That way you'll know for sure without having to start any treatments. Women from your family matter in some way though, because usually if they are suffering from noticeable hair loss it's a very bad sign since women tend to peak hair wise at 16 to 30 then very slowly lose hair till they die. This speeds up once they hit menopause.
Men, on the other hand, tend to peak hair wise at 14-15 then slowly lose hair through their whole life. Funnily enough my mum seems to have the same hair at 53 than at 25 and she's barely greying.

Selb

My Regimen
Reaction score
At your age, any hair loss is going to be slow. Your hair is probably better than 80% of others your age too. So watch the recession yeah, but I wouldn’t worry too much about it unless you can’t stop thinking about it

straitlines

My Regimen
Reaction score
At your age, any hair loss is going to be slow. Your hair is probably better than 80% of others your age too. So watch the recession yeah, but I wouldn’t worry too much about it unless you can’t stop thinking about it
Will keep an eye on the recession. Hoping it just stays the way it is or just goes really slow.

straitlines

My Regimen
Reaction score
Then getting a scalp biopsy is a great idea. That way you'll know for sure without having to start any treatments. Women from your family matter in some way though, because usually if they are suffering from noticeable hair loss it's a very bad sign since women tend to peak hair wise at 16 to 30 then very slowly lose hair till they die. This speeds up once they hit menopause.
Men, on the other hand, tend to peak hair wise at 14-15 then slowly lose hair through their whole life. Funnily enough my mum seems to have the same hair at 53 than at 25 and she's barely greying.
53 and barely greying. Wow!

Personally, I think I can deal with going grey way better than losing my hair.

NickyA

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
53 and barely greying. Wow!

Personally, I think I can deal with going grey way better than losing my hair.
Honestly I thought that she dyed it since my aunt is 48 and greying hard (Must be due to the meds she takes) but last month I asked her about her hair and she told me that she was happy with how it looked, but didn't like the fact that it was starting to go grey on the sides, and was thinking about dying it. Then she showed me. And she could hide it easily with a slightly different hairstyle.

Yeah I'd take going completely grey at 35 with a full head of hair over bald. Most people here would too hahahahaha.