Where Am I On The Norwood? Should I Be Proactive?

Hmmmmm

My Regimen
Reaction score
I believe I always had a funky hairline. You be the judge if this is balding or am I being paranoid. My girlfriend thinks I am being crazy and that I just have a extremely large forehead. Sometimes my hair look really weird in pictures and it’s now starting to cause some insecurity. My hair is still thick every where and doesn’t really show any signs of thinning... but you never know. Help a guy out.
A17F3009-38F6-46FD-8950-10AD1DE8200C.jpeg
7F2C2A3C-428E-4D39-8EE3-73A16B6BDF8A.jpeg
32A51044-6E27-4DEB-853E-3CE83372DCB6.jpeg
CC18E6B0-4E0A-498A-8238-BF7B727A1C3C.jpeg

reuters

Established Member
Reaction score
it would help with a before picture to understand if this is your natural hairline or if you have lost hair.

personally i think it looks like you have hairloss and a nw2 or 3.

recedingornot87

My Regimen
Reaction score
You have good age appropriate hair for 32 years old. Don't get on any meds, you wont go bald. Enjoy life not having to worry about this.

Koval

My Regimen
Reaction score
Considering that you're pulling your hair back tightly, so as to show it in the most unfavourable light, I'd say your hair looks pretty good (certainly better than my sorry mop).

Hmmmmm

My Regimen
Reaction score
it would help with a before picture to understand if this is your natural hairline or if you have lost hair.

personally i think it looks like you have hairloss and a nw2 or 3.
I don’t have a before picture. All my child photos I have really long hair so I can’t tell.

Hmmmmm

My Regimen
Reaction score
You have good age appropriate hair for 32 years old. Don't get on any meds, you wont go bald. Enjoy life not having to worry about this.
Thanks for the encouragement. Can I ask why you think that baldness isn’t in my future?

OfficialWater

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Didn't know you were a dermatologist mate, that's a pretty bold statement to make.

Listen to me op, your hairline is receded but I do agree it's appropriate for your age. I would suggest scheduling an appointment with a dermatologist to get on finasteride so you don't have to worry much about it. You can always do minoxidil but it is a bit more maintenance than simply popping a pill every day. Your hair looks pretty damn good for 32 though mate.

recedingornot87

My Regimen
Reaction score
Didn't know you were a dermatologist mate, that's a pretty bold statement to make.

Listen to me op, your hairline is receded but I do agree it's appropriate for your age. I would suggest scheduling an appointment with a dermatologist to get on finasteride so you don't have to worry much about it. You can always do minoxidil but it is a bit more maintenance than simply popping a pill every day. Your hair looks pretty damn good for 32 though mate.

Considering he just has age appropriate hair, with no thinning anywhere I don't see why he should take finasteride right now. Taking a hormone altering drug as a "so you don't have to worry much about it" measure is pretty extreme and this is coming from someone who advocates finasteride. I'm not a dermatologist but in my opinion he should wait it out. But then again you never know with these things. My dermatologist straight up told me I wasn't balding when I am and from hearing most other derm stories here it seems that an active person on these forums knows more about hair loss than most derms do which is pretty sad.

OP, what is your family history of hair loss, do you know of anyone in your family who went bald young? Are you noticing hairs shedding everywhere more than normal?

Hmmmmm

My Regimen
Reaction score
Considering he just has age appropriate hair, with no thinning anywhere I don't see why he should take finasteride right now. Taking a hormone altering drug as a "so you don't have to worry much about it" measure is pretty extreme and this is coming from someone who advocates finasteride. I'm not a dermatologist but in my opinion he should wait it out. But then again you never know with these things. My dermatologist straight up told me I wasn't balding when I am and from hearing most other derm stories here it seems that an active person on these forums knows more about hair loss than most derms do which is pretty sad.

OP, what is your family history of hair loss, do you know of anyone in your family who went bald young? Are you noticing hairs shedding everywhere more than normal?
Actually... no one in my family is bald. My father has a really high hairline but no bald spot. The only time hairs seem to shed is in the shower. Every time about 10 or so hairs. No hairs on pillow and a few hairs on my brush and I have not cleaned the brush in months.

OfficialWater

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

if he wants to keep his "age appropriate hair" it'd be better for him to take a preventive, stabilizing drug like finasteride instead of leaving it up to chance.

BetterLivinThruChemistry

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm 37 and I would personally say have a better hairline then OP, but I'm stressing like mad. Finasteride, minoxidil, ketoconazole and piroctone olamine... My left side and widow's peak has started thinning and I'll do what it takes to stop it.

Attachments

• Hairline.jpg
    Hairline.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 761

petwhite

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm 37 and I would personally say have a better hairline then OP, but I'm stressing like mad. Finasteride, minoxidil, ketoconazole and piroctone olamine... My left side and widow's peak has started thinning and I'll do what it takes to stop it.

are you high man??? It looks like you don't even have male pattern baldness and then you are on such an aggressive regimen?!?

Most of the ppl here would kill little puppies to have such a hair at that age...

BetterLivinThruChemistry

My Regimen
Reaction score
People make fun of me when they learn that I'm afraid of losing my hair and take medications to fight the process, but I know my hair, and can see some thinning (especially at the left side and widow's peak, as mentioned).

Besides, I don't buy into the finasteride scare - some might have side effects, of course, but I believe it to be highly exaggerated. If you gave a statistically significant sample size of men sugar pills, and told them there could be some problems with erectile dysfunction, you know for sure that the placebo would be high.

recedingornot87

My Regimen
Reaction score
People make fun of me when they learn that I'm afraid of losing my hair and take medications to fight the process, but I know my hair, and can see some thinning (especially at the left side and widow's peak, as mentioned).

Besides, I don't buy into the finasteride scare - some might have side effects, of course, but I believe it to be highly exaggerated. If you gave a statistically significant sample size of men sugar pills, and told them there could be some problems with erectile dysfunction, you know for sure that the placebo would be high.

Damn bro, you want to carry a full head of hair to the grave? How long have you been on finasteride for? What age did you first notice hairloss?

BetterLivinThruChemistry

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hopefully, yes.

About three years now with finasteride and close to half a year on minoxidil. I started with finasteride in my mid-twenties, actually, but I couldn't get a MD to prescribe it, so it was hard to source. Used stuff like finpecia in periods which I bought over the internet. After a while it didn't pass through the customs any longer, so I used up the stash I had and bought more when on holiday - so very "on and off" over a long time. But now I found a MD which agreed to write me a prescription for 5 mg finasteride which I cut in quarters.

I've also used minoxidil on and off, starting in my mid-twenties, but the propylene glycol always irritated my scalp, so I've stopped in periods. I don't have that problem with the foam I buy on eBay, thankfully. I've used ketoconazole for a very long time.

My friend in high school started shedding bad when around 16, and ever since then, I've started to pay close attention to my hairline. He's completely bold now.

It had been a gradual process - nothing gets better with age. Status quo now is such that I need to use it all - though I stay away from lasers and sh*t like that.

recedingornot87

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hopefully, yes.

About three years now with finasteride and close to half a year on minoxidil. I started with finasteride in my mid-twenties, actually, but I couldn't get a MD to prescribe it, so it was hard to source. Used stuff like finpecia in periods which I bought over the internet. After a while it didn't pass through the customs any longer, so I used up the stash I had and bought more when on holiday - so very "on and off" over a long time. But now I found a MD which agreed to write me a prescription for 5 mg finasteride which I cut in quarters.

I've also used minoxidil on and off, starting in my mid-twenties, but the propylene glycol always irritated my scalp, so I've stopped in periods. I don't have that problem with the foam I buy on eBay, thankfully. I've used ketoconazole for a very long time.

My friend in high school started shedding bad when around 16, and ever since then, I've started to pay close attention to my hairline. He's completely bold now.

It had been a gradual process - nothing gets better with age. Status quo now is such that I need to use it all - though I stay away from lasers and sh*t like that.

So you have been having some hairloss since mid 20s but still have a good head of hair at 37? Man your pretty lucky the loss was that slow. Any sides from using finasteride? I see that you are married, did you have a kid while on the drug?

BetterLivinThruChemistry

My Regimen
Reaction score
How did you know that? Actually, I stopped during the child producing period :D I asked an urologist doctor "friend" about it, and he advised me to take a break.

No side effects at all. It's a fantastic drug and I cherish taking it each day.

Last edited: